Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 recoil spring weight

Polymer

I suppose the mag springs effect how much pressure the top round in the mag exerts on the underside of the slide rib, effecting friction and slide velocity...

Hammer spring weight certainly effects the feel of recoil as does the curvature of the firing pin stop. Stronger spring or more squared off firing pin stop, will give slightly more initial muzzel flip, but will keep the slide velocity lower meaning less flip when the slide bottoms out on the frame. This is generally more desirable for major PF though. Minor  tends to run smoother with more rounded firing pin stops and relatively lighter hammer springs. The concept still applies though. It is possible some people using 6 or 8 lb recoil springs are in fact using heavier hammer springs to balance things out...

Thanks !!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all up to personal preference for the most part, but you will very berry little initial flip as the slide begins moving rearward, then you will get the majority of it when the slide bottoms out on the frame. Recoil energy doesn't go away you can just redistribute it by playing with the above variables.

I have been very happy with a 9 lb  wolf recoil spring, and the EG light hammer spring in my stock II. I believe  the light spring is something like 12.5 lbs.

I agree completely!  Springs get the gun back into battery with a fresh round ready to fire, that's the goal.  They give different feels to different people depending on lots of different factors.  Strong, weak, fast, slow, flippy, snappy, dippy, flat, etc etc.  There is no one perfect set that is optimum for all shooters. Best thing is to buy a bunch of different ones and go crazy experimenting until you find a set that "just feels right".  But don't stop experimenting, as the shooter evolves in skills, a different set may feel better later.

23 hours ago, EngineerEli said:

It's all up to personal preference for the most part, but you will very berry little initial flip as the slide begins moving rearward, then you will get the majority of it when the slide bottoms out on the frame. Recoil energy doesn't go away you can just redistribute it by playing with the above variables.

I have been very happy with a 9 lb  wolf recoil spring, and the EG light hammer spring in my stock II. I believe  the light spring is something like 12.5 lbs.

On 8/18/2016 at 5:20 PM, ARy said:

Hmmmn... drops and spins without touching the rifling?

Yeah, this is the only 147gr bullet that I have been able to load out to that long of an OAL. The 147 BBI's for example have a really wide shoulder, and I can only get those to roughly 1.08. It alll depends on the geometry of the bullet.

On my SII 10mm I run a 16# recoil spring with the Henning guide rod and the brass recoil buffer plate. I've tried the entire gambit of weights for the various loads, and 16# seems to be the most reliable for me. True, some guys are running 20-22# springs, but I found it to be a bad choice with such a wide range on load specs and weights for the 10mm. I run Armscor all the way to Underwood at various grains. It can be a challenge and really forces you to make a decision on what to run. The 16# seems to be the most versatile for mine. Just be sure to add the available anti-frame damaging components.

• 1 month later...

My opinion is that the frame / slide / extractor action needs to be glass smooth to ensure chambering goes into full lock.  Light strikes are more likely from the slide slightly hanging up than just light springs.  At least when I was chasing light strikes that were "perfect dimple" 30 times then a "tiny dot", that was the cause in the few cases I did.  Excessive grunge hurts too!

45 minutes ago, emjei said:

The thing with low poundage recoil springs is that the slide / frame fitment needs to be smooth ; otherwise it will feel sluggish

• 10 months later...
On 8/16/2016 at 1:33 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Ben Stoeger told us in May that he ran a 6 pound spring in his S2's while he was here for a training class.

Ive wondering for the longest time where that 6lb spring can be found cause i wanted to try it out. COuldnt find a #6 for the fullsize model.

2 hours ago, insicnarf said:

Ive wondering for the longest time where that 6lb spring can be found cause i wanted to try it out. COuldnt find a #6 for the fullsize model.

Just buy the longslide spring from Ben's pro shop and trim it to match your current spring's length. If it's even any longer. They usually aren't.

I just switched from a CZ and asked Ben and Casey Reed what they use.  They both said 10lb spring for 147gr bullets.  I shot bill drills (sub 1.7) as a test with the 10lb, and really like how the sights track.

I've shot a S2 with an 8lb, and it felt a little sluggish.  I think the lighter springs will need to be changed more often also.

11 minutes ago, JP221 said:

I just switched from a CZ and asked Ben and Casey Reed what they use.  They both said 10lb spring for 147gr bullets.  I shot bill drills (sub 1.7) as a test with the 10lb, and really like how the sights track.

I've shot a S2 with an 8lb, and it felt a little sluggish.  I think the lighter springs will need to be changed more often also.

Interesting. I tried the 8lb yesterday during practice cause i noticed the 10lb had more dip for me during double taps. I did think it was a bit sluggish but i assumed it was because i used the same hammer spring (12lb). 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hmm, when I try to run a 9# I can occasionally feel sort of a ca-chunk at about the point where the slide contacts the round in the magazine.

Thoughts?

Do you mean it feels like it's hanging up?  Does it run more smoothly with a 10?

1 hour ago, insicnarf said:

Interesting. I tried the 8lb yesterday during practice cause i noticed the 10lb had more dip for me during double taps. I did think it was a bit sluggish but i assumed it was because i used the same hammer spring (12lb).

Hammer spring would definitely play into it.  I wouldn't want a gun that was sluggish because I would feel like I'm waiting on the gun to cycle.  I have a 15.5 hammer spring in my gun because I have tons of CCI primers and the trigger is at 6.5lb/2lb, which is light enough for me.  I grip the gun really hard and liked how the sights track.

Double taps mean a lot of different things to different people.  I'm assuming you mean one sight picture and slapping the trigger 2 times?  Try a bill drill and see what the sights do when you hold the gun really hard.