Stock 2 recoil spring weight

Polymer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ARy said:

I run 6#... some run 8#.

I remember you saying from other threads you run a 6 pound one. You're by far the lightest of anyone. Have you tried multiple weights and that's your preference?

Yeah.  ejection is a good indication of springs. But... a person i look to indicated that many people overspring and wind up with muzzle dip from foreward slide slam. Imho, ejection of brass only tells part of the story (a big part!, but only part)

Really good thing is to film a bill drill of the gun, with a horizontal marker to watch muzzle rise and fall. that will show how much flip n dip the gun has with various springs vs loads.  An OCD person could go nuts with different springs for 130PF using 124, 135 and 147 gr projectiles. Ahem...not that I'm  OCD...! Much.

Actually, I thought he runs pretty uniform trggers across his guns.  was in his class a couple weeks ago. The guns of his that I fondled were pretty vanilla. Probably 6 - 6 1/2# da and 2 - 2 1/2# sa. Didn't ask, just what it felt like.

The slide was very smooth, I thought it was about an 8#...but didn't ask

Either pro's run 8s or less or I have weak grip strength... I dunno how you guys do those "show me clear" motions with just your thumb and webbing over the slide... I run a 9lb and it's doable but I just use the rear serrations...
also... Ben shoots 124s not 147s, so that might affect it a bit...

34 minutes ago, Robmorfrau said:

I use the #9 with my S2, I run RMR 147g 130-133PF. Gun Feels a little sluggish with the softer springs.

agreed... I shoot 135s-147s @ 130pf
Im wondering if guys shooting lower lb springs are running less than 130 or more than 130?
If more, wouldn't there be more recoil defeating the purpose of making our own loads?
And with less power factor aren't you at risk of failing chrono?

Or are we just unlucky and everyone shoots 130pf

I use the #9 with my S2, I run RMR 147g 130-133PF. Gun Feels a little sluggish with the softer springs.

I have to agree here.... I tested the 8# and the gun felt sluggish.... my opinion is that the 9# is soft enough to avoid dipping / unloaded starts etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, bigbob21 said:

Either pro's run 8s or less or I have weak grip strength... I dunno how you guys do those "show me clear" motions with just your thumb and webbing over the slide... I run a 9lb and it's doable but I just use the rear serrations...
also... Ben shoots 124s not 147s, so that might affect it a bit...

I rack everything that way (the web between thumb and index finger over the slide) which includes Glocks with factory springs and my M&P USPSA gun at the moment, with a 13 pounder.

(Yeah, I know those external-slide models are generally easier to hold onto than slide-in-frame CZs and Tanfos, but I've always racked them just fine this way too)

I don't think I have exceptionally strong hands, but then, I do work on heavy equipment for a living.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, emjei said:

I have to agree here.... I tested the 8# and the gun felt sluggish.... my opinion is that the 9# is soft enough to avoid dipping / unloaded starts etc

Same here... 9 LB

Just make sure you are getting the standard length spring for the 4.5" bbl guns (stock II), and the long slide spring for the 4.75" bbl guns (limited Pro/Stock III), they are different.

That's  exactly true! It's as much about feel as anything. I do mine to get them to FEEL right to me.  everyone should do the same!  my perfect feel won't be acceptable to everyone.  that's what makes tuning fun (my opinion)

10 hours ago, emjei said:

54 minutes ago, Malarkey said:

I like the 8#, with 147gr and 3.1gr of titegroup

What OAL are you using with this combo?  1.145" OAL I was using in my Glock is too long for my new to me Stock 2.

Sorry for the hijack.

Edited by superluckycat

I recently tried an 8lb vs 9lb and they both feel the same to me...(recoil/sights returning, etc...)
Ran a 100 rounds through a 6lb (after hearing Eric uses one) and it feels weird... Maybe I can describe it as some have said they're guns feel slugish? I'm not the fastest shooter around here, but I don't see a problem with split times and the "slower" spring return... 

The sights return just fine? The recoil impulse just feels weird... Was going to try and run it in a small match today but got rained out...

I suppose the mag springs effect how much pressure the top round in the mag exerts on the underside of the slide rib, effecting friction and slide velocity...

Hammer spring weight certainly effects the feel of recoil as does the curvature of the firing pin stop. Stronger spring or more squared off firing pin stop, will give slightly more initial muzzel flip, but will keep the slide velocity lower meaning less flip when the slide bottoms out on the frame. This is generally more desirable for major PF though. Minor  tends to run smoother with more rounded firing pin stops and relatively lighter hammer springs. The concept still applies though. It is possible some people using 6 or 8 lb recoil springs are in fact using heavier hammer springs to balance things out...