Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this the new BE site layout

Zoomy

Went on the site today on iPad and everything has changed. On my personal info section there is no longer a "my content" area. Cannot find a recent posts area on the forums page. Why the major changes?

1 hour ago, alecmc said:

Hopefully they are reading this stuff and will change back to the old format. The new layout is horrible on the phone, way to spread out and difficult to navigate

Hating on the new format will probably get the same results as hating on WO or PCC. 

Nada. 

Its taking a bit of getting used to for sure.

There is no "View New Content" like before, but there is "Unread Content" in the upper right corner. Actually, pretty neat part there is you can then filter the content by a number of things like personal posts, personallystarted topics, specific people, certain time frames like the past day, past week, etc. Functionally, there looks like there is much more here than the old format, just need to figure out where it all is.

That is all from a desktop as I don't browse the forums all that much on my phone so I haven't looked for anything there yet.

I created a custom Activity Stream, see below that gives me a similar view to what was on the forums before. I saved that Custom Stream and then created a new bookmark for the site so that it loads that view whenever I click on the bookmark:

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 12.21.36 PM.png

The new format is certainly a shock, but if we all take a moment to explore it, we may find we appreciate the improvements. If you want to make this like your old experience, you can create your own 'Streams'.

- Go to the unread content button at top right shown above.

- Use the filters to refine the results as you want to show items you posted in, or created. Select if you want to see only unread or all content.

- Then you can hit the button at the top right 'Save as new stream' and save it by whatever name you want. These streams will be accessible via the 'my activity streams' drop down under the activity tab at the top.

- When you select one of your custom activity streams, you can set it as your default (button at top left/center) and it will replace the button at the top right that defaults to 'unread content'. I currently have it set as New Content, but you can also have it set to show your content or whatever you want.

Good luck all, and give it a chance...

Thanks for the positive vibe EngineerEli. :)

And in the FYI department, if we want to continue to have the forums, not upgrading is not an option. Once a version of the software is no longer supported by IP, the entire forums are risk of being hacked / destroyed. 

1 hour ago, Youngeyes said:

Im starting to navigate fairly well on my phone. Haven't  really tried the computer yet. I still miss the old look but thats  only cosmetic. 

Much more than cosmetic....