Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which revolver for PPC?

twister

I've shot a fair bit of PPC. My choice would be a 6 inch Ruger GP-100 with a Wilson or Wolfe spring kit. My GP-100 will toss virtually any decent load of full cylinder 6 round groups into 2.5 or less from a 25 yard bench. Lead, plated, jacketed, Hi-Tek coating... it seems to make no difference. The spring kit gets me down to about a 7.8 pound DA pull, and a very light SA pull. I have found that the standard adjustable Ruger rear sight will "bounce" on you... but a Bowen Rough Country replacement rear stopped that.

I find the Ruger GP-100 to be more accurate with lead, plated, or Bayou than the 686 I used to shoot.

Another good load to try is 2.6 of WST  or 3.1 of 231 behind a Remington 148 gr HBWC or Percision Delta 148 gr HBWC. i have seen stock 4" and 6" 686's shoot 1 1/4 groups at 50 yards out a ransom rest.

21 hours ago, mojo1 said:

Another good load to try is 2.6 of WST  or 3.1 of 231 behind a Remington 148 gr HBWC or Percision Delta 148 gr HBWC. i have seen stock 4" and 6" 686's shoot 1 1/4 groups at 50 yards out a ransom rest.

I haven't tried the Remington 148's but on the Precision Deltas I had much better luck with the older sticky wax lubed ones, not the dry match lube.  The Zero 148's have a similar sticky wax lube and shoot very well also.  With the waxy lube I never had to much trouble with barrel build up but the cylinder had to be brushed out during the match.  I got tired of lead and started using the Zero 125 jhp's with 5.5 gr of 231, clean and accurate.  I need to try the 138 Bayous that Warrens using, always great to find a cheaper, clean and accurate solution.

37 minutes ago, twister said:

AusPPC, what load are you using? I don't even know if I can find a 100gr. Sec. Thanks for the reply, Dave.

https://www.ibejiheads.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=27&osCsid=403c22d86c6db45a4bcf9f1839d35552

Ibejiheads sells a 100 grain swc, I enjoy using them for steel challenge.

1 hour ago, twister said:

AusPPC, what load are you using? I don't even know if I can find a 100gr. Sec. Thanks for the reply, Dave.

2.0 grains of Trailboss with the bullet seated below the case mouth by 3mm. Very soft shooting (about 70 power factor), and holds x-ring at 50 yards.

• 3 weeks later...
I've shot a fair bit of PPC. My choice would be a 6 inch Ruger GP-100 with a Wilson or Wolfe spring kit. My GP-100 will toss virtually any decent load of full cylinder 6 round groups into 2.5 or less from a 25 yard bench. Lead, plated, jacketed, Hi-Tek coating... it seems to make no difference. The spring kit gets me down to about a 7.8 pound DA pull, and a very light SA pull. I have found that the standard adjustable Ruger rear sight will "bounce" on you... but a Bowen Rough Country replacement rear stopped that.

I find the Ruger GP-100 to be more accurate with lead, plated, or Bayou than the 686 I used to shoot.

Regarding sights, almost all our PPC league uses Aristocrat sights. Holdover is not necessary at 25 and 50 yards with a click of the knob on the side of the sight. Extremely accurate. Good luck.

http://www.aristocratproducts.com/page1.html

Brian B

If you just wanna jump to a purpose built gun, PPC bargain guns in the Smith or Ruger persuasion can be found by the dozen on gunbroker for $400-1200.  I shoot a Clark Customs Grandmaster built on an old Security-Six.  It's slick shit.  Otherwise, it is my humble opinion that the 6" S&W Model 14 Target Masterpiece is the finest factory target revolver ever made.  When I start down the road to becoming Distinguished in NRA-AP Production, I plan on taking out my 14.