Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip problems, looking for suggestions

R34PER

So the type of grip that works best for me across all my guns in the Bob Vogel "pinch grip" method he teaches. The one gun it does not work for me with is my 1911 (it's a SA Loaded model), which is disapointing because in all other aspects the 1911/2011 style handguns are my favorite. I struggled to figure out why this grip method wasn't working for me. First, I thought it was due to my hands getting sweaty and it was to slick... so I coated my grips in silicone carbide. It helped with the sweat in my right hand, but my off hand still wasn't getting a good grip. Next, I thought my grips were too small, not leaving enough real estate for my off hand to grip the gun. So I got the Hogue wrap-around grips. I was back to square one in terms of sweat, but size wise it seemed to fit my hands better. Yet I was still having an issue with getting a solid grip on the gun. Well after going back and forth between my guns and figuring out where the hell my problem was I figured it out.... I think. When gripping the gun there is little to no real estate for my thumb and heel of my palm right under the thumb to press into the slide. I realized that the thumb and that muscle right below the thumb is were I was getting the most force on the gun when "pinching" into it.

My question to everyone is there a way to alter my technique while gripping the 1911? Or are there 1911s or modifications that give a good slab of real estate to press into the gun with?

Edited by R34PER

My grip doesn't stay locked in and the gun doesn't track through recoil reliably when that happens. One thing that happens is my thumb slips off the side of the frame. It naturally reaches past the slide stop so only the edge of my thumb past the knuckle is touching the gun. In comparison to my P320 or Tanfo clone, my entire thumb from tip to meat of my palm is touching the frame. Hopefully this makes sense. I'm struggling to get a decent picture of my grip.

In shooting a 6 shot string I have noticed I either need to adjust and reacquire hand position, or my shooting gets slower and groups get sloppy.