Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Couple questions about prepping a CZ 712 for 3-gun

ClangClang

About 3 years ago I shot a couple 3 gun matches, but did so with borrowed gear, and honestly, I don't remember much. I've been shooting USPSA (somewhat) consistently since then but I think I'd like to try a couple 3-gun matches this year. So a little while back I picked up a plain-jane CZ 712 and a +5 Nordic tube, a FO front sight, and an oversized safety. I have a couple questions before I proceed and if anyone has some wisdom to impart, it would certainly be appreciated. I have to drive 1.5-2 hrs to get to most of the matches near me, so this is going to be a side hobby. I'll probably shoot 3-4 local matches per year, tops. So I'm not looking to spend big money. So all my questions are really around "getting the best bang for my buck." Thanks!

• It has the standard wood stock and the stock already has a couple small but noticeable dents marks from practicing and from safe knocks. Is it worth the money to upgrade to a synthetic stock?
  • The receiver is stamped for 3" shells. Any problem using 2 3/4" shells? My only reasoning is to fit more shells in my mag tube. Not really sure of the factors that would influence someone to shoot either shell length.
  • I've watched a couple youtube vids on opening a shotgun loading port. I have all the required tools and I'm confident I can do the job on my own. Anything I should be aware of specifically regarding the 712? Obviously don't go anywhere near the serial number. How it about the "CZ-USA Kansas City, KS" rollmark - can that be legally removed?
  • Only other things I plan on getting are an oversized bolt release and a Matchsaverz. Anything else I should think about?

Much appreciated!

0OnWPKxh.jpg

Edited by ClangClang

I've already got a High-Viz fiber front sight that I'll install soon. I was hoping to avoid tapping for a rear sight. From what I can tell, most of the matches around me typically don't go out much past 50 rounds for shotgun.

Trigger is actually pretty good. I'd estimate between 5-6 lbs, but I don't have a scale. Virtually no creep at all... under 1mm till it breaks cleanly. Is there an easy spring swap to bring it down into the 3-4 lbs range?

Edited by ClangClang

• 2 years later...