Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel challenge in Arizona

I will be spending the month of Sept in Sedona. Would like to shoot a couple of steel challenge matches. Willing to travel to do so. If anyone knows of any ranges I would appreciate any help. If I could get the name of the range and the date they shoot it would be great. Thanks George

Rio Salado Sportman's Club host Tuesday Night Steel every Tuesday with signups from 3pm to 7pm.

I have never been to it, but I know Ben Avery Shooting Facility has Cactus Combat, which is steel challenge every 3rd Sunday of each month.

Phoenix Rod and Gun Club is suppose to have a steel shoot, but according to their website the matches are cancelled due to no match directors.

Ben Avery would be the closest to Sedona.

FYI, Tuesday Night Steel isn't a steel challenge match. You can find plenty of videos on YouTube to see what the matches are like.

I think they do steel challenge matches, all 8 stages, at Ben Avery on 2nd and 3rd Sundays. One is thru the Cactus league and the other is run by some other group, I forget what it's called. I've yet to try either of those matches.

Right now I am looking at shooting Sept 10 with Prescott Action Shooters and then Sept 11 with Deer Tribe Gun Club at Ben Avery. Hope things work out that I can attend both. Thanks everyone for all of the help. George

I love that we have two Steel Challenge matches at Ben Avery's Practical Pistol Range.

Deer Tribe's Steel Challenge match has all 8 stages but the scores do not get entered into the SCSA database.  Cactus Match League's match, also with all 8 stages, does get entered into the SCSA database.  Since Deer Tribe's match happens each month the week before the one with Cactus, we can use it as practice for the match that counts.  Deer Tribe's match also finishes with a shootout, which is great fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish they would move one of the steel challenge matches at Ben Avery to a day that doesn't conflict with USPSA at Rio like the 4th Saturday or Sunday. I used to shoot a lot of steel challenge before moving to AZ, but haven't shot one match since moving here as they all conflict with USPSA :(

Thanks Steven, I'll take you up on that kind invitation!

Southpaw, as you probably already know, the monthly schedule of Sunday matches at Ben Avery Practical Pistol Range goes like this:

• First Sunday - USPSA match run by Cactus Match club
  • Second Sunday - Steel Challenge and Shoot-off match run by Deer Tribe club, scores not entered in the SCSA database but the match atmosphere is great and it's a chance to practice for the following Sunday's Steel Challenge match
  • Third Sunday - Steel Challenge match run by Cactus Match club, scores are entered in the SCSA database
  • Fourth Sunday - 3 Gun Nation nation match run by Cactus Match club

Maybe once in a while you could shoot your USPSA match at Ben Avery instead of Rio, and then do the Steel Challenge at Ben?

1 hour ago, GunBugBit said:

Thanks Steven, I'll take you up on that kind invitation!

Southpaw, as you probably already know, the monthly schedule of Sunday matches at Ben Avery Practical Pistol Range goes like this:

• First Sunday - USPSA match run by Cactus Match club
  • Second Sunday - Steel Challenge and Shoot-off match run by Deer Tribe club, scores not entered in the SCSA database but the match atmosphere is great and it's a chance to practice for the following Sunday's Steel Challenge match
  • Third Sunday - Steel Challenge match run by Cactus Match club, scores are entered in the SCSA database
  • Fourth Sunday - 3 Gun Nation nation match run by Cactus Match club

Maybe once in a while you could shoot your USPSA match at Ben Avery instead of Rio, and then do the Steel Challenge at Ben?

Thanks. Yeah I was familiar with the schedule. There's USPSA at Rio both Sundays that they have steel challenge at Ben Avery. Would be cool if they swapped one of those matches with the 3 gun match or something. I used to also shoot the USPSA match at Ben Avery until they upped the fee to $30 which seems like a bit much to me...

The higher fee caused a bit of the stir for the first match they put it into effect (last month I believe).  The stages seemed very simple to many shooters.  Last weekend's match saw some things changed up and some new elements introduced that we hadn't seen since I've been shooting these matches.

I just returned home from my month stay in Arizona.  Had the opportunity to shoot steel with the Prescott Acton Shooters in Sept.  Great group of guys and a well organized shoot.  Location was the Whisperin Pine Range outside of Prescott.  Really enjoyed the day -- George