Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

44 special bullet

tedbeau

I was lucky enough to win a handgun at a gun match this past Sunday!

I won a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special.

Now I am trying to decide if I want to flip the gun for some cash to buy a semi-auto for competition or keep the bulldog. I shoot IDPA and would like to get either a Glock or XD in 40 caliber or 9MM. I already load 40 caliber for my Glock 27 I shoot in the CCP division but would like to start using a different gun in SSP division.

Since the Bulldog is a 5 rounder it wouldn't be as competitive in revolvers since most revolvers in the division are 6 rounders.

If I keep the gun I would probably want to start reloading for it. Here's the problem, almost all the bullets I see available are either lead or jacketed/plated hollowpoints. My club does not allow lead/hard cast lead to be shot at the indoor range and the hollow points are pricey for plinking. A few manufacturers list some plated bullets with out the cannelure. I know usually revolvers use a roll crimp in the cannelure to prevent bullet jump, so my questions are:

1. Do I need to buy a bullet with the cannelure or can I use a taper crimp on a straight sided bullet in a 44 special?

2. Where can I find inexpensive ( less than fifteen cents a round) bullets for plinking?

Charter arms make a pretty quality gun today but I think I'd flip it and buy a Springfield Armory xdm in 9mm. That would make you even more competitive in IDPA or USPSA production division.

I've used some of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050725344/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-44-caliber-429-diameter-240-grain-plated-flat-nose in my Ruger SBH and my S&W 629. They were reasonably accurate as far as I recall and if you buy 1000+ they are 14 cents a round at Midway. I wasn't running magnum loads so the lack of a crimp groove wasn't a big deal.

ld

I've used some of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050725344/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-44-caliber-429-diameter-240-grain-plated-flat-nose in my Ruger SBH and my S&W 629. They were reasonably accurate as far as I recall and if you buy 1000+ they are 14 cents a round at Midway. I wasn't running magnum loads so the lack of a crimp groove wasn't a big deal.

ld

So you used a taper crimp die on them? I don't plan on running full power loads either, just want something I can have some fun with. I may use the gun in the local IDPA bug matches. (I think it fits in the IDPA bug box. I'll have to check that for sure).

Does your club allow coated bullets? Powder coated bullets would be much cheaper.

I have owned a 44 Bulldog and its not a pleasant gun to shoot. Reloading components can be a hassle with mixed brass. Some factory brass is cut down 44 MAG brass and the thick web created a bulge that hindered loading. I was using 240 grain SWC .429. Wish I recalled what brands.

I'd sell the revolver and get something you can compete with and have fun shooting.