Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need weakhand and strong hand tips

kmaultsby

This past Saturday in my IDPA match we had a stage were we come from behind a wall and had to place one shot on the move stronghand only. It was between eight yards but you could not past the five yard mark. I was moving forward and i missed all four targets. At another stage we had a weakhand stage to the body that wasn't that great. I am about to start a lot of dry fire dills for this issue but I have always had this problem. My question is which technique for when I am not moving should I stay square to the target or blade to right or left depending on which hand I am shooting with? I am also looking for a technique shooting strong or weakhand on the move.

I zeroed a classifier this spring that was six shots freestyle, six strong only snd six weak only.

Didn't like that...at all!

Dry fire now has included regular sho and who drills. Also live fire about every other week as the ammo budget allows.

The "tricks" that helped the most were dry fire practice for trigger control and just slowing down to get a solid stable hold and sight picture. Mentally it seems to take forever, but it really isn't that slow. And A's are better than M's.

I'm still a newbee, still learning but have improved one hand shooting after a a few months.

Edited by johnbu

Practice... Allowing the pistol to be slightly canted when shooting one-handed seems to work for me. And if you have the chance, try anchoring the other hand on your body, so it isn't flailing around and putting you off balance.

Here are some tips that will help you with strong and weak hand shooting.

1. lead with the same foot as your shooting hand - turn your body and lean slightly forward to help with recoil

2. Increase your grip - a loose grip especially with left hand can cause certain handguns to malfunction

3. Place the hand you aren't using to your chest to minimize additional movements to your sights

4. Shoot right to left with right handed shooting and left to right with left handed shooting - The gun is unsupported so it will have a tendency to recoil in the opposite direction of the hand holding it. This allows your gun to naturally head in the direction of your next target.

Like Koideath stated leading with your shooting foot, trailing foot at 8 or 4'oclock.  Shooting leg knee over your foot...you will really see more control in the sights.  This may not be practical in a run in gun stage but for stand and shoot classifiers it really does help.  Max teaches this method in his classes and its improved my classifer weak/strong hand shooting. 

dry fire dry fire dry fire and confirm with live fire.