Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This winter I am going to try and work on building a set of match mags for my 2011 edge in 40sw. I plan on getting the dawson tuning kit to build them. I will use sti tubes, the 4g2 taran basepads, and the taran springs. My current mags are set up with grams guts and one with Taran guts. The taran guts already get 20 reloadable and a VERY tight 21 for a 22rd start.

However, I want to use the MBX followers for a couple of reasons.

1.) They are already set up to not allow slide lock, so it will save me some work for only $1 more per follower.

2.) They are cut thinner which means I would have a little more extra tension to work with in the mag. I was planning to do this with a Taran follower, but this saves me the work and the possibility of trashing a follower.

My question is how does the MBX follower work in STI tubes? Does it require any/much fitting or is just flat out the wrong dimension for the body?

Does it work well with taran springs?

Edited by BallisticExpansion

If you do not already have the components you list, only base STI mags, why not just buy MBX mags to start with an skip all the tuning. If you are going to keep your STI tubes and tune the feed lips, I'd stay with the TTI stuff. It is really good and you already know it works with STI tubes.

Taran's springs are shaped at the top just like the MBX springs, so the TTI follower should fit correctly. Wheter it will work properly or not is another question. I can tell you that putting a new TTI spring and follower in my MBX mag does not work. Neither does a well used Grams follower and spring.

I'll also say that if you want max capacity, you are going to have to experiment with different springs from the same company. Not everything comes out as planned. For example, I have one MBX mag in 40 that easily accepts the 21st round and is reloadable. I have another where if I try really hard I can just barely get the 21st in. Both were brand new, unmolested mags that have had the springs conditioned. When I wanted to redo my Infinity Gen 1 mag, I called TTI to ask which components to get. I was told that with a particular follower and spring combo, plus their 3G2 base I would get 27 reloadable. They were off by two.

BTW, with a vertical belt sander you can remove the TTI followers slide lock extension in less than a minute.

If you do not already have the components you list, only base STI mags, why not just buy MBX mags to start with an skip all the tuning. If you are going to keep your STI tubes and tune the feed lips, I'd stay with the TTI stuff. It is really good and you already know it works with STI tubes.

Taran's springs are shaped at the top just like the MBX springs, so the TTI follower should fit correctly. Wheter it will work properly or not is another question. I can tell you that putting a new TTI spring and follower in my MBX mag does not work. Neither does a well used Grams follower and spring.

I'll also say that if you want max capacity, you are going to have to experiment with different springs from the same company. Not everything comes out as planned. For example, I have one MBX mag in 40 that easily accepts the 21st round and is reloadable. I have another where if I try really hard I can just barely get the 21st in. Both were brand new, unmolested mags that have had the springs conditioned. When I wanted to redo my Infinity Gen 1 mag, I called TTI to ask which components to get. I was told that with a particular follower and spring combo, plus their 3G2 base I would get 27 reloadable. They were off by two.

BTW, with a vertical belt sander you can remove the TTI followers slide lock extension in less than a minute.

I don't have any of the components for the new mags yet. And I did think a lot about just buying the MBX mags complete. However I have decided not too. One reason is price. Another reason is I am not sure how the dawson kit will work on the MBX mags, because eventually they will need to be re tuned.

I think you misunderstood about the spring/follower. I was curious if the MBX follower will fit a taran spring. On another note I wonder if using the MBX spring and follower in an STI tube would produce good results.

That makes sense about different springs from the same company. My taran built mag didn't start holding 21 until after 1 month of use.

My original idea was just to stick with Taran parts as you suggested. Perhaps I will stick to that and just buy some extra taran followers to experiment with. I was just hoping the MBX followers would require less experimentation. I want to see if I can get a mag that is 21 reloadable and a mag that I can start 22 +1 with.

I wish I had a belt sander at home, but I dont. I used a sanding wheel on my dremel for the grams and taran follower the first time. Worked out okay.

I take your point about tuning. The STI and MBX mags definitely differ. I'd be willing to bet the MBX follower will not work properly in an STI mag. However, it will only cost you $10 to find out.

I'm not a fan of mixing and matching mag components, especially followers. I tried that and discovered it wasn't plug-n-play. There are differences in spring angles and cant to the side. Sure you can rebend the springs, but why bother. It certainly takes more time than grinding off the slide lock protrusion. If you are going the Taran route, why not stay with all Taran parts. They are very well made and all the parts work together. If they don't, they will replace them.

I'm not trying to knock any of the other providers, but the only two I would consider using are Taran and MBX. In my book they are equivalent, except you have to tune your STI tubes the first time (unless you pay someone to do it for you). Really, the only reason I went the MBX route is their followers. I shoot at clubs and some matches that require slide lock. MBX makes one follower that will not lock the slide back even using a new, unmodified slide stop. They make a second that does, but you loose one round of capacity. So I have extra springs with the lock back followers attached, and just swap them out as required. It only takes 30 seconds per mag.

Taran and other followers will lock the slide back with a round still in the mag. You can remove the slide lock protrusion easily, but modifying it for no round lock back is more tedious. Plus, you have to retune the spring angle from time to time. Murphy guarantees you will only find out about a needed retuning in the middle of a match. Don't ask how I know.

MBX followers will not work in other tubes (SV, STI, Rescomp. etc.) MBX tubes do not get as narrow a the top below the feed lips and they make the follower wider than others. However, TTI followers do work in MBX tubes for some people. They seemed too loose at the top for me.

Instead of "building" or "Tuning" STI mags why not simply order MBX mags and not have to do anything to make them work properly?

I'm with CHA-LEE. I have both sti mags with TTI parts and MBX mags. I had to do some tuning with the STI but nothing with MBX. I only buy MBX Mags now as they are ready to go out of the bag, and in the rare event you get one that is not, the customer service is great to work with.

I'd pick up the dawson tuning kit anyways, it a lot easier to keep your mags in good condition with the kit. Over time you will need to adjust the lips, put in springs and file down burrs on the lips.

MBX followers will not work in other tubes (SV, STI, Rescomp. etc.) MBX tubes do not get as narrow a the top below the feed lips and they make the follower wider than others. However, TTI followers do work in MBX tubes for some people. They seemed too loose at the top for me.

Thats exactly what I was curious about. Thank you so much for the info!

I take your point about tuning. The STI and MBX mags definitely differ. I'd be willing to bet the MBX follower will not work properly in an STI mag. However, it will only cost you $10 to find out.

I'm not a fan of mixing and matching mag components, especially followers. I tried that and discovered it wasn't plug-n-play. There are differences in spring angles and cant to the side. Sure you can rebend the springs, but why bother. It certainly takes more time than grinding off the slide lock protrusion. If you are going the Taran route, why not stay with all Taran parts. They are very well made and all the parts work together. If they don't, they will replace them.

I'm not trying to knock any of the other providers, but the only two I would consider using are Taran and MBX. In my book they are equivalent, except you have to tune your STI tubes the first time (unless you pay someone to do it for you). Really, the only reason I went the MBX route is their followers. I shoot at clubs and some matches that require slide lock. MBX makes one follower that will not lock the slide back even using a new, unmodified slide stop. They make a second that does, but you loose one round of capacity. So I have extra springs with the lock back followers attached, and just swap them out as required. It only takes 30 seconds per mag.

Taran and other followers will lock the slide back with a round still in the mag. You can remove the slide lock protrusion easily, but modifying it for no round lock back is more tedious. Plus, you have to retune the spring angle from time to time. Murphy guarantees you will only find out about a needed retuning in the middle of a match. Don't ask how I know.

Yeah the taran I built has been an exceptional mag. I had no slide lock issues with it after I got the tab grinded off. Comparing the MBXs I just realized it is only $15 more. $15 more for a tuned mag and a better mag body style sounds worth it... Think I will get the dawson kit for tuning throughout the season and buy a few MBXs. thanks!

Instead of "building" or "Tuning" STI mags why not simply order MBX mags and not have to do anything to make them work properly?

I'm with CHA-LEE...

After looking at the miniscule savings ($15 per mag) I think yall got it right. I will just start buying 1 or 2 MBXs a month until I have enough. Will still get the dawson kit for when I need it. Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 9:23 AM, RayUSPSA81 said:

Grams followers or bust.

Went the same way.  I have not tried the "new" followers yet from MBX.  Old ones seem to push a bit high past the feed lips IMO.

Yep I ordered the 140mm with no slide hold back and they worked as design. In two of them i can get 21 no problem and the other two I only get 20. The two that only get 20 has a little movement and I feel I'll be able to get 21 with a little more time of using them. I really only use the same two as a start mag and a reload mag, this month ill switch the two up and start working the two that only get 20. 

The Brazos I used would go to slide lock with one remaining in the mag. The gun is a new CK and I was told that they were designed to be used with the MBX and you could tell that the slide stop was shaped more for that design. 

1 hour ago, ChiefMate said:

Yep I ordered the 140mm with no slide hold back and they worked as design. In two of them i can get 21 no problem and the other two I only get 20. The two that only get 20 has a little movement and I feel I'll be able to get 21 with a little more time of using them. I really only use the same two as a start mag and a reload mag, this month ill switch the two up and start working the two that only get 20. 

The Brazos I used would go to slide lock with one remaining in the mag. The gun is a new CK and I was told that they were designed to be used with the MBX and you could tell that the slide stop was shaped more for that design. 

That's exciting. I didn't realize they had changed designs. How much tension is left on the mags that hold 21? Is it reloadable? You think it could ever go 22 +1?

2 hours ago, BallisticExpansion said:

That's exciting. I didn't realize they had changed designs. How much tension is left on the mags that hold 21? Is it reloadable? You think it could ever go 22 +1?

The mags that hold 21 are tight and I don't reload to 21 only 20. I doubt that I would be able to get 22, but maybe time will tell with use. Right now I'm not going to start messing with trying to get 22 in the mag. I'm coming off shooting a Caspian that I only loading 18 +1 so I'm happy with the new setup. 

The MBX springs seem to vary a little.  When my 140s were new, some took 20 with effort and some would only take 19.  After conditioning (left fully loaded for a week) they all took 20 reloadable.  A while later they would all take 21, but not reloadable.  There is a slight amount of play, but not enough to allow insertion with any reasonable amount of force.  My 170 will take 26, but not reloadable.  However, there is still some hope for that one.

I also have spring sets with the lock back follower.  They will take 19 reloadable.  One of the followers no longer locked the slide back after spring conditioning.  I bent the spring so the nose of the follower matched the others (up) and have not had a problem since. 

• 2 years later...

Please read!!! Just order the MBX mags you will save your self a lot headache's.  I tried to build my own, and after months of problems. I finally have a gun that runs 100%. You will end up spending twice the amount of money because you will end up buy mbx mags. Buy MBX you won't regret it!

• 4 weeks later...