Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1926 original 1911 mods

leon1333

Ive decided to carry this gun and shoot it some. what recommendations do y'all have on changing parts. already changed recoil spring and i don't use original magazine. should the barrel be replaced etc.

thinking about buying a knew slide and having a trij rmr mounted on it.

thanks

It's your gun, do as you please. I'd say replace the springs, extractor , lube well and run ball ammo.

If you want to go with a red dot I'd suggest buying a gun already configured for the job. It'll probably cost you more money to have a new slide fitted than it would just to buy a new gun and you wouldn't need to wait 6 months for the gun to return from gunsmith prison.

I had a chance one time for a good deal on an early 1911. I passed. If you're a collector you don't want to mess w it and I'm not a collector. Now we all have just guessed it's all original. But maybe it's been refinished already and I'm that case who cares, keep any parts you swap out and have fun. If it is original I would either

1. If I just wanted a good carry gun sell it, spend the money on a good one the way you want it you'll likely have money left

2. If it has sentimental value so you want to keep it but use it I would change out all the springs, if accuracy is fine leave it, if not barrel and bushing. Good suede lined holster and some mammoth ivory grips. Then you have something you can enjoy and talk about.

Red

Recieved from a good friend that is a collector, wont ever sell. Im not much on just looking at guns, but understand it wont hold up to competition, already have new guns. The value is in the history to me not the dollar amount. Hopefuly wont have to put many rounds through it as a carry gum and will get to handle it every day.

Just want to be safe on shooting a box a year

Hello: An all steel 5" 1911 is a heavy gun to carry all day. There are better options for a carry pistol than a collector 1911. If you like the gun then shoot it at the range some and get a lighter pistol to carry. If you are going to carry a pistol I would suggest you shoot it at least 100 rounds a month and learn how to draw from your holster you will be using. Thanks, Eric

If it functions well there are lots of good carry ammo with ball type bullets.

Might think about CT laser grips so you don't have to fight with new sights on slide.

Or send it to gans with a set of carry sights you like and you'll have it back in 7to10 days