Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electric ear plugs

I have a hearing problem. I am trying to decide if analog or digital shooting ear plugs will serve the dual purpose of

every day enhanced hearing and of course while I am shooting. For example 3gun shooting.

I would not wear them all the time. Watching TV, listening to my wife, etc.

Being very expensive I need information from people who have them.

Thanks.

I have ESP's Stealth model and like them, but I only wear them when shooting. I like it because I can leave them in all day, they are comfortable and I can still carry on conversations. You sound like you're wanting a dual-purpose setup to wear them when not at the range. Several years ago, when my kids were at Front Sight, they had the folks from Sport Ears there. My kids bought the electronic, custom fit pieces. It was pretty slick in that they first gave you a hearing test to show you the frequencies where your hearing was deficient. Then, depending on the model you purchased, they would build you a set that compensated for those deficiencies. This might be overkill for range day, but I can see where this would be nice when using as a hearing aid.

There are several companies in the business now, so shop around and see what they can do for you. Their prices seem pretty similar for comparable units. As for quality, I can only speak to Sport Ears - my kids love them and had no problems - I'm guessing they've had them a little over 4 years. My ESP's are only a few months old, but I've no complaints.

Good luck!

I have ESP's Stealth model and like them, but I only wear them when shooting. I like it because I can leave them in all day, they are comfortable and I can still carry on conversations. You sound like you're wanting a dual-purpose setup to wear them when not at the range. Several years ago, when my kids were at Front Sight, they had the folks from Sport Ears there. My kids bought the electronic, custom fit pieces. It was pretty slick in that they first gave you a hearing test to show you the frequencies where your hearing was deficient. Then, depending on the model you purchased, they would build you a set that compensated for those deficiencies. This might be overkill for range day, but I can see where this would be nice when using as a hearing aid.

There are several companies in the business now, so shop around and see what they can do for you. Their prices seem pretty similar for comparable units. As for quality, I can only speak to Sport Ears - my kids love them and had no problems - I'm guessing they've had them a little over 4 years. My ESP's are only a few months old, but I've no complaints.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Good information. I will check them out.

I use Soundgear from House of Hearing. I like them so much that I bought a pair for my wife, she was always complaining about the muffs hurting her ears after a few hours. I got the expensive model (custom platinum) and they are so comfortable I forget that I'm wearing them which is why I have the lanyard joining them together. They have a table at most of the major matches in the West and made a casting at the match, pretty easy. I don't work for SoundGear (or get any payment from them). House of Hearing has various price specials so the price on the following ad is not accurate. I paid $870 for mine instead of $1200. https://www.soundgearhearing.com/collections/custom-fit

I use WildEar hearing boosters for hunting and shooting. The master set that I have has 4 different "modes" to enhance different frequency levels. They are custom molded and have adjustable volume. The process is very simple to mold at home and then you send the molds into them and they make the ear pieces. Zach is a great guy to work with too.

I'm still waiting on my SportEar's to show up.

Check your insurance, if you have hearing loss, they may cover some types if they provide amplification.

+1 on checking your health insurance. House of Hearing checked my and my wife's coverage and it paid for both of our buds, no co-pay, no deductible. I hadn't expected that but apparently my insurance looks at hearing protection as preventative care. What a deal.

I bought some SportEars and I have to say it's one of the best investments I've ever made. Prior to this, I had used both the Peltor in-ear and the Sordin's (still have the sordins).

Go to Sam's club and they'll mold you for free. Send it in...wait a few weeks...then win. 

It's honestly incredible the comfort and protection that you get. Maybe the best reason to pick SportEars is that they offer an unconditional warranty for another $200 or so. Seems like alot until you realize it covers loss....and while I haven't lost them yet, I can see how easy it would be to misplace one. 

Edited by Stangs55

On 8/8/2016 at 2:18 PM, dmshozer1 said:

Thanks,

Keep the info coming. I am checking all of them.

Anyone use or have any information on "Ear Inc" or "wild Ear" electronic molded protection?

They all seem to say the same thing on their web sites. Trying to get some first hand info before I spend a lot of money.

On August 15, 2016 at 9:34 PM, AWLAZS said:

I had terrible luck with the sport ears. They broke every time I wore them. I ended up getting a refund. 

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Only had mine for about a year now, but they've been rock solid. Did you end up going with someone else for customs?

I have Westone custom fitted. As I shoot 3 gun and am a machinist by day, insurance covered them for me no problem. Worth checking them out sounds like they offer the same options and compatibility as the above mentioned.

Plus I was able to choose whatever color I wanted and I got red, white and blue!

11 hours ago, Stangs55 said:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Only had mine for about a year now, but they've been rock solid. Did you end up going with someone else for customs?

I did not replace the yet. I am still waiting for the refund, they have stopped answering my emails.

12 hours ago, Dberm118 said:

I have Westone custom fitted. As I shoot 3 gun and am a machinist by day, insurance covered them for me no problem. Worth checking them out sounds like they offer the same options and compatibility as the above mentioned.

Plus I was able to choose whatever color I wanted and I got red, white and blue!

Thanks

I decided to use Harris and Sons for my electronic hearing protection.  So far the service has been awesome.  They arranged the hearing test for me and I sent them the molds.  I should have them this week and get to try them out this weekend.

• 2 months later...

Got tired of Sport Ear blaming insurance for a delay. My contact wouldnt return calls, wouldnt answer the phone, no one else would talk to me, they would just transfer me to the one who wouldnt give me any updates.

I followed up with insurance and they had no pending, denied, under investigation.. etc claims. They had no record of anything from Sport ear or Axil the parent company.

5 months of wasted time was enough. Cancelled my order.

3 hours ago, DWFAN said:

Got tired of Sport Ear blaming insurance for a delay. My contact wouldnt return calls, wouldnt answer the phone, no one else would talk to me, they would just transfer me to the one who wouldnt give me any updates.

I followed up with insurance and they had no pending, denied, under investigation.. etc claims. They had no record of anything from Sport ear or Axil the parent company.

5 months of wasted time was enough. Cancelled my order.

Try https://www.facebook.com/thehouseofhearing/ 

I've had nothing but good luck with them. I think it took insurance 2 weeks to approve them and then another couple of weeks to make the buds. They work great so I got a set for my wife as well.

44 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

do you have to have an existing hearing problem to get insurance to help with these?  Or do they cover them as a preventative?  

In my circumstance as a machinist I wore them daily and was able to show the need for them so they were covered.

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

do you have to have an existing hearing problem to get insurance to help with these?  Or do they cover them as a preventative?  

Neither one of us have a hearing problem, but the insurance covered it anyway. They must look at it as preventative. I'm sure it's different with different companies. I stopped at the House of Hearing booth at Area 1, and they suggested the insurance option, I hadn't even considered it. So my wife and I both had impressions done there at the range (just in case it got approved) H of H did all the paperwork. My insurance company was kind of slow notifying them, but my wife checked the insurance claim and saw that they were approved. I faxed a copy of the approval and a few weeks later I had them. Too easy.:P And they're great, I wear them all day and pretty much forget that they're in there, and no sweat ring around my ears. H of H has a bunch of branches. The one I used was from St George Utah (because they were the ones at Area 1)

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:01 PM, Bkreutz said:

Try https://www.facebook.com/thehouseofhearing/ 

I've had nothing but good luck with them. I think it took insurance 2 weeks to approve them and then another couple of weeks to make the buds. They work great so I got a set for my wife as well.

Thanks. I found a couple local options for the Soundgear. I'll look into those.