Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right handed shooter, reload during moving

hyasuma

So just couple of month back one of my friend got DQ'ed . He is a right handed shooter. I usually start my course of fire by going left to right after the first area most of the time because its a bit quicker for me and also most important thing is the reload. The course of fire is a like a zig zag course and you have to stand on top of a brick to shoot at the targets or it counts a procedural.

My friend got DQ'ed because he went from position right and move to position left during his reload, keep in mind that he is right handed. So he broke the 180 rule when he reloaded.

Lesson 1

I guess moving to the left while reloading have more potential to break the 180 because you are bringing the gun in. If it was reloading while moving to the right, it is less potential to break the 180 rule while moving.

Lesson 2

Reload while facing down range first then move

Lesson learned and just want to share.

What are your thoughts?

It's not all that tough to reload going "the wrong way", but you do have to think about it a bit.

Safer to reload going from your weak to strong hand.

I would NEVER consider "reloading while facing down range and then move" - wastes too

much time.

Always have to be aware of where your muzzle is pointing - that's the whole point of the 180.

I've come close - but, not yet :)

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

You need to practice reloading moving towards your weak side, and have this in your tool kit for when you need it.

Some stages that may be the only way you can move, or will be the most efficient.

I agree, practice these reloads in dryfire. I find it helpful to bend/cock my gun handling wrist back when reloading going towards my week side. As a left-handed shooter I end up having to do this more often as it seems many stage designers are right handed. ;)

Eric

the sport is time driven, and not reloading on the move will kill your stage time. try and practice both static and moving reloads at home during dry fire practice. You'll find your classifier scores will improve too. good luck

Edited by blaster113

You need to practice reloading moving towards your weak side, and have this in your tool kit for when you need it.

Some stages that may be the only way you can move, or will be the most efficient.

^

this.

All good shooters can comfortably reload going either direction. Sure it's a tiny bit faster (maybe .1 second for me) to move to my right, but you don't always get to choose.

One thing I do from time to time to ensure that I am being safe. When I am moving to my next shooting position, going right to left, I will drop my mag, grab my next mag and wait until I am turning into my next shooting position to seat the mag since I have to put my hands on the gun again anyway.

One thing I do from time to time to ensure that I am being safe. When I am moving to my next shooting position, going right to left, I will drop my mag, grab my next mag and wait until I am turning into my next shooting position to seat the mag since I have to put my hands on the gun again anyway.

This is always a good option to consider, and particularly good advice for a novice shooter. It's almost as fast as doing it on the move and easier than sticking the load on the move while minding the 180.

My thoughts e

This is always a good option to consider, and particularly good advice for a novice shooter. It's almost as fast as doing it on the move and easier than sticking the load on the move while minding the 180.

My thought exactly. I do it mainly when I realize that I didn't take into account a reload going right to left in my stage walk through.

A wiser person than I (I think that it was Cha-Lee) suggested to do the reload with your shoulders in line with the 180, an alternative is to pick something down range to point the muzzle at during the dicey reload, both options work.

Typically when you make that reload the r.o. will be behind you and on your strong hand side, so he will not actually be able to see the gun or the angle of your wrist. An r.o. will get nervous when he see's a newer shooter start that reload and you may set yourself up for a bad dq if the r.o. is not experienced and calls what he thinks you did instead of what he was actually able to see. I try to exaggerate as needed to make sure it is obvious that the 180 was respected.

Had an RO yell at me to "Watch the 180" in the middle of a stage.  I actually paused and checked and I was no where near close.  After the stage I asked why he yelled that and he said "Well it looked like you were maybe going to break it."  I had at least 45 degrees to go before breaking it.  Probably cost me a second and a brake in my concentration for the stage.  I was reloading moving right to left and he was behind to my right so I doubt he could even see my gun.