Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Os-x Tiger

BritinUSA

My copy of OS-X Tiger arrived today. I backed up my files. Did a Erase/Install and I'm now running the best darn operating system on the planet.

This thing is freaking awesome.

The Dashboard function brings up all these widgets, showing the weather, tracking flights, stock prices, iTunes, International clocks, dictionary/thesaurus and much more.

Everything is so intuitive, there's no manual to speak of but plenty of online help (not that it's needed)...

post-293-1115351050_thumb.jpg

Been testing Tiger for about a week and here's the skinny so far:

Good things:

- Faster on startup and opening applications. Seems like screen re-draws are too. Jury is out on actual processing gains. I ran a Cleaner (Video Application) render and it took the same time in 10.4 as it did on an identical machine in 10.3.8.

- Stable. No issues, lockups, or any bad behaviour on the part of the OS.

- Good local searching through Spotlight

So So things:

- Dashboard Widgets are cool but no better than the 10-20 freeware app's I have been using to do the same things. A developers dream, a users snoozer IMO.

- Re-vamped interface details, Yawwnnn, why change interface details if they are minute and don't have much in the way of feature enhancements. GUI graphics programming for the heck of it.

Bad things:

- MS Virtual PC (6 & 7) are broken. Well Virtual Switch networking is broken anyway. That means the reason I have VPC at all (Corporate LAN interfacing) is gone for now.

- Dreamweaver is not fully supported under Tiger and if you use it for a living, you should stay in Panther for now.

- Some FTP clients stop working unless the Tiger firewall is turned off. Enabling passive FTP does not fix it. Transmit flat out needs to be upgraded to 3.0.1 to work in Tiger (new shareware fee, aaarrrghhh!).

- A number os shareware widgets stopped working in Tiger, or actually ate my data when I ran them. Sync Entourage scripts that ran fine in 10.3, erased my calendars and addresses when I ran them in Tiger for the first time. Thankfully I was testing the upgrade on a clone copy and not running without a backup as some folks do when they upgrade their systems. Once again, more shareware fees to buy the updated Tiger versions of the scripts, aaaarrrrggghhh!!!

- Photoshop CS made it past an "Upgrade Install" on my PowerBook, but when I did an "Archive Install" on my wifes PowerBook, PS CS didn't make it and needed a re-install before it booted without dependency errors. I had copied all the Adobe support files from the Previous System folder like I have done on many Archive Installs before and Only PS CS didn't make it. All the rest of my Adobe stuff did.

- QuickTime 7 takes over QuickTime 6 and if you are using QT Pro (needed for a lot of Apple Pro Apps), you need to buy a new 30 dollar license, AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!! I noticed that Apple had a QT 7 un-installer posted on their within 24 hours of the first complaints about this little detail surfacing.

My read on this cat is that it is a good upgrade overall, but Apple has a little work to do IMHO before it is ready for the big leagues.

My advice on this is to not upgrade if you run a lot of third party applications and need to not get stopped in your tracks by a half dozen little and not so little things. If you run a webserver, or have made mods to the basic UNIX underpinnings you will lose those configs and your UNIX stuff will probably break. I test upgraded a clone of my webserver and all my PHP scripts that used PHP 5 features stopped running and the MySQL 4.0 server shut down too. Not good for code heads.

BTW 10.3.9 also busted MySQL 4 on my webserver. My servers are all staying at 10.3.8 PERIOD

If you are a basic Mac user and rely almost entirely on Apple supplied applications for your computing experience, you will love it just as it is. If you use your Mac as a production machine running a lot of third party apps to make a living and cannot afford any downtime, you will want to stand pat with 10.3 for the moment unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands and like finding things to fix ;-)

BTW, BTW, forgot to mention that the Bluetooth pairing to my cell phone got broken during the upgrade and now I cannot get it to work as a modem. Only contact syncing still works. Can you say Tigrrrrhh!

Yeah, I like it. Yeah, I am staying in it. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt upgrade ;-)

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Don't freak on that too quick ;-)

Dreamweaver is not that unstable, it is just not fully recommended for Tiger (yet).

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...cfm?id=d9e959b3

I have been testing DW in Tiger all week and so far I cannot make it act up doing typical stuff. PHP MySQL is working fine, but a couple of peripheral plug-ins are buggy now and thats about all really.

Tiger will be a good thing for the single user with huge performance gains when the apps follow the trail Apple blazed with it's under the hood changes. The Kernel changes Apple made are also going to make it a much better server platform in addition to a better big system LAN box. All good stuff.

--

Regards,

The widget issue is a non-issue if you turn off the option to Open Safe Files After Downloading in Safari Prefs like the link says. It is not just widgets that can install themselves. I would only get widgets from the Apple website listing them for download. They test before posting them there for just such reasons. Always be careful with anything you pick up off the street ;-)

BTW, the whole "Open Safe Files After Downloading" thing is a well known exploit from back in the beginnings of Panther when Safari was first introduced. The exploit and the proper fix are specified here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13933

QT7 is definitely friggin awesome if you are a pro video user and do a lot of FCP & DVDSP work. If you are a casual user and just watch web movies, it's a real snoozer ;-)

--

Regards,

Found another issue with Tiger recently when I went to make a clone of my PowerBook runing 10.4. Brought up Carbon Copy Cloner and it opened, allowed me to set source and destination drives, but locked up tighter than a drum when I tried to authenticate before cloning. Tried it on another PowerBook running Tiger and no go either (1.67 G4 17"). Did a clean install (formatted the drive) of Tiger on a TiBook 500 and it also locked CCC on authentication. Bummer news.

There is a workaround, but it's a real PITA. Boot to a clone drive with 10.3.x on it. Then mount another FW drive to be the destination drive and run the clone from the 10.4 volume to the destination volume while ruunning from the 10.3.x volume. The same thing works to clone back in. I transferred my 17" PB build to my older TiBook this morning that way and all is good.

Cloning is still available in Tiger, it's just a pain now ;-)

BTW, given that development on CCC has stopped now that the developer works for Apple, I wonder if CCC not working anymore under 10.4 is intentional on Apples part. I think so ;-(

--

Regards,

QT7 is definitely friggin awesome if you are a pro video user and do a lot of FCP & DVDSP work.

That's me.

I haven't installed it on my editing machine yet because I've heard that my FCPHD won't play nice with QT7.

Any truth to this? Will I have to upgrade FCPHD & DVDSP to take advantage of the QT7 benefits?

-Chet

I haven't installed it on my editing machine yet because I've heard that my FCPHD won't play nice with QT7.

Any truth to this? Will I have to upgrade FCPHD & DVDSP to take advantage of the QT7

Hi Chet,

I am leaving my main video workstation (I do video too) at 10.3.8 for now because I am doing projects every week and I don't want to chance it. I have moved my PowerBook up to 10.4 and it runs FCP HD fine from what I can tell, but I have only done small edits and DVD Studio Pro work on it so far. What I am certain of is that LiveType works 100% in Tiger. DVD Studio Pro works perfectly in 10.4 and Toast Titanium 6.0.1 and 6.1 work perfectly. I have authored and burned two DVD project masters on my PowerBook in Tiger so far and they went out for duplication with no problems.

--

Regards,

• 2 months later...
BTW, given that development on CCC has stopped now that the developer works for Apple, I wonder if CCC not working anymore under 10.4 is intentional on Apples part. I think so ;-(

I've been wondering about that one myself - and I hate to think that. :(

be