Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finicky 9mm Tac Sport mags

Neomet

So I converted my .40 TS to a 9. Gun cycles fine and ejects nicely. My problem is with the mags. Running CZC basepads and followers. I can stuff 24 in them but it just feels wrong and I can live with that but even with 23 I am getting nosedives into the feed ramp every so often. This is with MG 121 and Bayou 160 projectiles. All that said I guess I have two questions. How many rounds are you loading in your mags and what OAL/projectiles are you running? Thanks.

I have a Czechmate, although, I'm not sure if I'll have it much longer.

(Love the gun, hate to part with it)

With the Springer 170mm bases and the follower/spring kit,

I would comfortably get 23-24 in. Anymore, no bueno for me.

Springs are new too, and could be a case of "Pansy Thumb".

Felt like the rounds would rattle with any more loaded.

I've seen threads where material was added inside to help with the issue.

Sent out to have them tuned.

I just said 24 was good enough for me,

Don't know if the follower after getting pushed further down got kicked to the side a bit,

ended up having a round end up under the follower myself.

Edited by norbyam22

The nosedive jam issue is not uncommon to those mags a search here will show that. I think this is a QC issue with the 9mm mags. You'll notice with about 17-19 rounds the second round in the mag is not "supporting" the round above it. As a result there's a gap, that's due to some space at the top of the magazine (they are a tad to wide at the taper), after this issue is resolved the magazines will be REALLY tight, but they will be 100% reliable. I sent mine to Gram's Engineering to fix them. 5 20 rounders (3 with +4 and one with a +9 Springer pads), 1 factory big stick with the CZC base pad ... after I got them back all run fine ... I did end up needing to polish the feed ramp for my Precision Deltas to run as well as I wanted (didn't test on the range 'til after I polished) in my testing.

Bevin knows his stuff, and can walk you through analyzing your problem, and for the price of sending them to him and back ... it was worth it. He had them done in the first day they got there, so approx. a week without mags (2 days there and 2 days back).

I had similar issues but with the 40S&W magazines with CZC followers, springs and base pads. I did two things that have virtually eliminated the nose diving issue: replace the magazine springs with the +10% versions and reduce my OAL to 1.123" with 180g RN polycoated bullets.

I ran into this same problem when I had my Czechmate. I found that they used the same specs for the control rib on the 40 as they do on the 9. I put some information in the thread below that helped me tune them to run properly with 28-29 rounds in the big stick with CZ Custom and 24 rounds in the short sticks.

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?showtopic=171986&hl=%2Bczechmate+%2Bmag#entry1905648

I had this issue when I started using extreme bullets. The issue is that the feed ramps of the TS/Czechmate start above the lip of the mag.

It is the bullet hitting the flat spot of the barrel, not hitting the mag.

I took my time with a dremel but and some polishing bits to extend the ramps down. Now I can load 28(I use the CZ follower not Graham's) with no feeding issues.

I will try to remember to post some pics from my computer later.