Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTRii 1-8 scope

Some pics of the elevation and windage knobs. The scope comes with a smaller elevation turret and cap if you want to run them covered. Both have the zero stop and revolution limiter. Max elevation adjustment is 9.5 mils after your zero has been set.

Uncapped elevation w/ capped windage
AL6fSPph.jpg

Windage cap removed

230qZ9Eh.jpg

Uncapped elevation turret removed. The silver pin at the 12 o'clock is the turret stop.
LWrTZ5uh.jpg

The track that the pin rides in. As you can see, it's not a complete circle so it stops when it hits the wall, limiting revolution.
TJ9WvwCh.jpg

Same setup for windage. Approximately 4.5 mils of windage each way.
cZWqjtmh.jpg

Small elevation turret installed, if you want to run it capped.
xHLEJDRh.jpg

All capped

wX1uxSPh.jpg

Quick video of me running through the elevation and windage. Very positive, tactile, and audible. Zero mushiness with either knobs.

Edited by tt350z

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see any deals on these that are in stock?  Months ago, I saw preorder pricing just over $800, but now, most spots are close to $999 and availability is still sparse.  Thinking of the FFP circle dot.  Thanks

I just got the FFP model and sighted it in yesterday. I think the illumination is different on FFP vs SFP. The illumination on mine is not red dot bright in daylight and looking at light colored targets. On a white target the circle will turn mostly black. When you move it over to a darker target it's starts to appear red. Bear in mind this is in the AZ sun. Once the sun started going down the brightness started to really come on. I think most FFP scopes are like this. My friend's VCOG was the same way and just slightly brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 8:25 AM, gerritm said:

Just ordered one with the ballistic dot reticle. What switchview does it take? Same as the 1.5x8?

gerritm

Received my Burris 1x8  Ballistic dot RFP XTR II. Got it mounted on a Aero Precision Ultra Light 34mm mount. I am coming from using my Vortex  Razor HD/JM reticle so used to a quality scope & glass.

Glass is very good, clear no real fish eye. Compared it side by side with my Vortex. At 8x the eye relief is good. Stayed with the BD reticle because it is very similar to the JM reticle. Dot is super bright. Held up against the sun it is very easy to see. Probably will have to turn it way down. Checked against my Strelok app and it lines up close to what I am used to. Going to zero it @ 200 yards and will shoot a match this weekend. Will see if the extra power helps.

gerritm

Shot 2 3-gun matches this weekend, gotta love the Texas weather. Saturday was a small hoser type match out to 100 yards.

Shot our big monthly match Sunday. We had one stage out to 350 yards. 4 mini poppers @ 80yds. 3-minis @ 100yds, then staggered swingers starting @ 150, 200,250,300,350.  Ran the scope starting @ 8x to see how fast I could find the eye relief and get on the targets.

Glass is very clear and relief is excellent. No problem getting on the first target @ 80.

If you never shoot past 300-350 the extra power is a waste. Anything out to 350 I really should have shot them @ 4x or 6x. 8x was way too much. Focused in too tight field of view and was hard to transition/find  the next target. After 350 is where this scope will shine. Played around a little after the stage looking at the 400-500 yard targets and the field of view @ 8x and clarity was excellent at these distances. Compared it side by side to my son's Vortex HD.

Very pleased with this scope & reticle so far.

I have my switchview set up so that when the lever is straight up, it is at 5x.  Once I played with it some, I learned how to basically index at 3x and 5x, with 1 and 8 being easy.  My fear with too much mag is having to adjust it in position which is just a time waster.  Otherwise, very pleased with it so far as well.  Have gone out to about 600.  Next week plan to take it out to 1000 on 1o" and 18" plates.

45 minutes ago, MarkCO said:

I have my switchview set up so that when the lever is straight up, it is at 5x.  Once I played with it some, I learned how to basically index at 3x and 5x, with 1 and 8 being easy.  My fear with too much mag is having to adjust it in position which is just a time waster.  Otherwise, very pleased with it so far as well.  Have gone out to about 600.  Next week plan to take it out to 1000 on 1o" and 18" plates.

1000 With a .223 is ambitious. Good idea to set the switchview this way. I will be going back when I have time to play with loads and distance. I will be happy at 500. I was just shooting 55gr. I can see 8x at the shorter (200-400) yards in a match when you are shooting single targets, but the FOV is way too tight for group targets until you get out to 400 plus.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a Razor 1-6. The Burris is on par with it in terms of how flat the view is on 1x. Not quite as HUD like as the Vortex, I think that's partly due to how far back the ocular glass is on the Razor, which makes the ocular disappear. FOV on paper is a little narrower on the Burris, but in real world use with both eyes open, I haven't noticed anything detrimental.

On 12/25/2016 at 8:49 PM, tt350z said:

I used to have a Razor 1-6. The Burris is on par with it in terms of how flat the view is on 1x. Not quite as HUD like as the Vortex, I think that's partly due to how far back the ocular glass is on the Razor, which makes the ocular disappear. FOV on paper is a little narrower on the Burris, but in real world use with both eyes open, I haven't noticed anything detrimental.

Thanks!  That's good info.  The Razor is great!  The price on the Burris is appealing.....

T

12 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thanks, Pat, we've all been waiting for your review.    :bow:

How forgiving is the eyebox at 8x, and how's the FOV at 8x?

I was surprised that the eyebox was that good at 8x.

I would have to check spec's to give you hard data on FOV.

• 3 months later...

I had the 1-5x Burris and it got the job done. For the money is a very good option for 3 gun shooting. I ended up switching to a Swarovski, which I highly recommenced. Worth the extra $1k and absolutely made a big difference on long range stages, at least for me. 

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Anyone know how this scope compares to the Vortex PST Gen II 1-6x?

Larry,

I think you're looking at two different tiers of scopes.  

Read Pat Kelley's review, link is above.

Dan, why are they 2 different tiers? I guess that's why I'm asking, is one better quality than the other? Which one? I know they have different top end magnification, but other than that how do they compare? I did read Pat's review. It was good, but predates the Gen 2 PST.

The XTR2 is the latest in Burris' top scope line. The Viper is a lower level than the Razor series scopes. 

It's difficult to compare scopes. Most people don't have the money or the connections to have different makes of scopes on hand to compare.