Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Rolex

Firearms refinishing

I have a 1911 45 Les Bear- has some slight rust on it- would like to have a new

finish put on- looking for a one stop shop- prep metal and refinish in house.

Where and who applies these finishes- what one is the better of the three?

If I was to do chrome it would be AP&W-

Thanks in advance

If you want cerakote, blown deadline customs is good. Michael Sigouin is a sig armorer and is good with guns. I dont know if he does hard chrome, but he does good cerakote work

Daniel K

I had a couple slides machined for RMR's, taller BUIS and cerakoted by Primary Machine (fixed it) back in the late winter/early spring. All that took a couple of weeks shipping back and forth included (no idea what their turn around time is now).

I know cerakote if great stuff. My P07 has been scraping in/out of that kydex/leather holster 2 to 4 times a day almost seven days a week since March and it still looks new. The factory finish on the P07 was shiny in spots by the time I had sent it to PM so the cerakote must be more durable than the CZ factory finish on those guns.

I don't have a recent picture of the P07 but I look it over a couple times a day and field strip/clean/lube in every 7 to 10 days, or sooner if I get rained on or crawl around in the dirt/grass with it.

Forgot I couldn't put a picture in from IE. Had to go to Google. P07 with the FDE slide, RMR, BUIS.

IMG_0168_zpsmxc9fzws.jpg

edited to correct the name of the company that did the work on my P07. Sorry.

Edited by M1A4ME

I had a couple slides machined for RMR's, taller BUIS and cerakoted by Primary Arms back in the late winter/early spring. All that took a couple of weeks shipping back and forth included (no idea what their turn around time is now).

I know cerakote if great stuff. My P07 has been scraping in/out of that kydex/leather holster 2 to 4 times a day almost seven days a week since March and it still looks new. The factory finish on the P07 was shiny in spots by the time I had sent it to PM so the cerakote must be more durable than the CZ factory finish on those guns.

I don't have a recent picture of the P07 but I look it over a couple times a day and field strip/clean/lube in every 7 to 10 days, or sooner if I get rained on or crawl around in the dirt/grass with it.

Forgot I couldn't put a picture in from IE. Had to go to Google. P07 with the FDE slide, RMR, BUIS.

IMG_0168_zpsmxc9fzws.jpg

Primary Arms or Primary Machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a couple slides machined for RMR's, taller BUIS and cerakoted by Primary Arms back in the late winter/early spring. All that took a couple of weeks shipping back and forth included (no idea what their turn around time is now).

IMG_0168_zpsmxc9fzws.jpg

Primary Arms or Primary Machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Us, Primary Machine. :)

lots of great options above, thought i'd also mention CCR refinishing. They've been wonderful to work with and do beautiful work as well. If you need any work done Bruce Gray's amazing.

I recently had two pistols done in hard chrome by Techplate. Matte:

_20160117_231151_zpszaetocdm.jpg

and polished:

_20160120_000138_zps2ubimder.jpg

I really think they turned out nice although I would do satin instead of polished next time so fingerprints wouldn't stand out so much.

Yeah, sorry, the brain thinks one thing, the fingers type something else. Primary Machine. Bruce and I e-mailed back and forth several times. He was very helpful and communicated with me to let me know how it was going and when he'd put the parts in the mail to come back to me.

Sorry.

Why not Les Baer hard chrome? Its their gun after all. If you have a respectable amount of rounds through it, might as well have them give it a once over as well. I went this route with my Premier II when I moved from AZ to North ID and discovered what rust is. Worked for me, finish has been very durable and I'm back to my lazy cleaning schedule.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I have used AWP for over 20 years. Guns done 15 years ago still look like new. Good people

On 8/1/2016 at 0:15 AM, kneelingatlas said:

I recently had two pistols done in hard chrome by Techplate. Matte:

_20160117_231151_zpszaetocdm.jpg

and polished:

_20160120_000138_zps2ubimder.jpg

I really think they turned out nice although I would do satin instead of polished next time so fingerprints wouldn't stand out so much.

I need to send my S3 out to get refinished.  Do you just get the frame and slide done or do you have all the parts refinished?  

5 minutes ago, nhjeffs said:

I need to send my S3 out to get refinished.  Do you just get the frame and slide done or do you have all the parts refinished?  

Just frame and slide, they charge hourly for polishing so a bunch of little parts would cost a fortune

Just frame and slide, they charge hourly for polishing so a bunch of little parts would cost a fortune

Thanks. I have one more match and then it's going out to get hard chromed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

H&M does great black nitride I have had several done and recommend them.