Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HPA (Using ~3000 psi compressed air) with airsoft pistols...

Ultraweasel

Been a while since I last posted, but I've just converted my TM Hi Capa to HPA and wondered if anybody was interested in how it performs and what I used for the conversion?

Being in the UK, especially outdoors, using heating blankets, etc. to warm magazines is, quite frankly, just annoying.

I was on the verge of giving up with propane/GG - Venting after a few rapid fire shots was putting me off.

Tried a WE CO2 mag - it was better, but not great... :(

So, having seen YouTube vids. of the Asian Steel Shooters using HPA (High pressure compressed air ~ 3000 psi) I thought - "I will have some of that".

Now, I must admit that I already have a 7 Ltr. Scuba tank (300 Bar / 4500 psi) for charging my PCP .22 air rifle, so some of the cost has already been offset. :)

So, how to do it and what to buy?

I know Tactrainers offer a setup using a compressor, but being awkward, I didn't want to be tied to a compressor that I don't have...

So my 'version' comprises a 13 c.i. (~0.23 Lt) 3000 psi paintball HPA tank (with built in ~800 psi output regulator - designed for direct paintball co2 replacement - co2 vapour pressure is approx. 800 psi). (Guerrila Air / now First Strike - USA Made).

Then you need a secondary regulator to reduce the pressure to an appropriate level for your airsoft pistol. I purchased a Ninja LPR adjustable regulator (0 to 160 psi) (USA Made)

I wanted QD connections from regulator output to gun magazine connection. They are NPT QD's - wanted QD self sealing connectors for use at the magazine end. They are a bit bulkier than the non self sealing, but I can live with that. The airline tube I bought was 'super flexible' 4mm OD dia. nylon. Initial testing indicates that you don't notice the tubing at all... :)

The connection to the pistol magazine is where you need the specific adapters - Some conversions require you to drill / tap for standard connectors. I purchased QD to TM mag threaded adapters (So you can convert back to GG / Propane if you want to).

I purchased two brands in the UK - the first two were aluminium (aluminum for your US guys :)), the second pair are stainless and beautifully made. I will buy more of them.

So, how well does the HPA system work? Well, all I can say is - forget GG/Propane! I guess even if you do IPSC, some of your practice will be static?

For steel / Bianchi plate, HPA airsoft practice works!

From my initial testing, I can get around ~ 200 shots from the GA 13 c.i. bottle at 3000 psi.

All I need to do now is make a belt mounted 'holster' to carry my mini HPA tank on my shooting belt so I can run about without getting tangled up in the pipework! :)

Would any of you guys be interested in me posting pics. of my setup?

It's by no means perfect, but it is functional and works...

Cheers,

Ultraweasel.

HPA I don't think is a very economical solution for people who don't own scuba tanks though. Most places will charge you quite a bit for HPA fills unless you've got a friend in the paintball or scuba industry. If you do have a scuba tank then it will be very cheap to use HPA.

I would stick to propane. It is weird that your stuff keeps venting after shooting. I don't think my friends or I ever had that problem with our airsoft guns.

If you want to make a belt mounted holster to carry the HPA tank OP, you can use paintball gear. http://www.magfedpbuk.com/omg-13ci-molle-tank-pouch

Edited by SlvrDragon50