Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 3 gun holsters are you running STI 2011

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/19/2017 at 10:17 AM, ctay said:

Ever find someone's who makes kydex holster for an open gun 2011?

I just had this guy:

http://www.lsholster.com/

build my 3 gun rig for my STI.  You'd have to message him to let him know which optic cut out, etc you'd be running.

I also ordered matching mag pouches for my AR mag and STI mags.

• 1 month later...

I tried the boss hangar with a bladetech holster, I am not that confident it's going to stay. I switched to Boss with ALS Safariland holster from a springfield. Not loving the fit, but it works and it won't fall out without me releasing it which doesn't slow my draw too much since I used to use a level 3 for work.

I tried the boss hangar with a bladetech holster, I am not that confident it's going to stay. I switched to Boss with ALS Safariland holster from a springfield. Not loving the fit, but it works and it won't fall out without me releasing it which doesn't slow my draw too much since I used to use a level 3 for work.

Heat up the holster with a heat gun or hair dryer. Insert pistol and slightly twist it side to side. It'll create some gap and fit much more smoothly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I was surprised to see a Safariland GLS Pro-Fit for sale at my local Rural King.  They generally have a fabulous selection of Uncle Mike's nylon holsters.

The price was right and I was motivated to get back to something with retention for 3-gunning.

My first match with it was actually a USPSA match and I was very pleased with how natural the retention release mechanism is.  I have used Thumb Drive holsters with glocks in the past and to me it felt like they were detrimental to obtaining a good grip on the draw stroke.  Not so with the GLS.  The draw stroke to hit a proper high grip was exactly what was needed to activate the retention release mechanism.  Since I first put the holster on my belt I have never once mucked a draw by failing to activate the release.

A few short minutes with the dremel to gain clearance for my extended magazine release, and a bit off the rear of the release lever so that it would clear a 2011 grip, and I was in business.  Added the shim for the 2011 trigger guard, and the simple adjustment mechanism to tighten the GLS to the bottom of the dust cover on the pistol left me with  a snugly held holster with extremely positive retention.  I think it will be just the ticket for 3-gun and even though I have a non retention holster on a hanger I don't think I would even bother swapping out the GLS for a pistol-only/USPSA match.  It didn't hinder my draw in any way.

I currently use a bladetech WRS with Invictus holster hanger, but much prefer G code.  But they don't make one to long dust covers like my edge.  I bought one for a short dust cover and am trying to reform it with a heat gun.  I'm 95% the way there, but I evidently suck with kydex

You should check out LAG Tactical they make a holster called the "Nova" and its great, I use one for my G34 and will soon be getting one for my CZ TS. They make them for several different guns and models.

14 minutes ago, AustinWolv said:

Second post of the thread didn't help?

Just saw the end of the video on model for 2011 holster. Good stuff there, very helpful. Thanks for pointing that out!

25 minutes ago, IFlynn said:

Just saw the end of the video on model for 2011 holster. Good stuff there, very helpful. Thanks for pointing that out!

The part numbers and info are also in the video description.  Both of those holsters work very well for 3gun and are very fast.  No worries about bouncing guns down the range, no messing with thumbscrews, but some people complain about the minor modifications to make them fully good-to-go.  I guess they'd rather use the latest hyped non-retention kydex offering out there and risk a DQ instead.  :D

1 minute ago, AustinWolv said:

The part numbers and info are also in the video description.  Both of those holsters work very well for 3gun and are very fast.  No worries about bouncing guns down the range, no messing with thumbscrews, but some people complain about the minor modifications to make them fully good-to-go.  I guess they'd rather use the latest hyped non-retention kydex offering out there and risk a DQ instead.  :D

I DQ'd my first major 3 gun match by dropping a loaded gun out of a holster. Terribly unsafe and thankful nobody was hurt. I'll never ever do that again. 

Edited by IFlynn

I prefer ALS to GLS after seeing someone transition from rifle to pistol, and as they swung their slung rifle around to the front, the sling slipped under the pistol grip, disengaged the GLS, and lifted their loaded glock right out of the holster and flung it a couple feet. Instant DQ and a RSO diving in the other direction to try and avoid the flying gun.

ALS for me, all the way.  The Oregon Defense Nub is a perfect addition.

1 minute ago, ClangClang said:

I prefer ALS to GLS after seeing someone transition from rifle to pistol, and as they swung their slung rifle around to the front, the sling slipped under the pistol grip, disengaged the GLS, and lifted their loaded glock right out of the holster and flung it a couple feet. Instant DQ and a RSO diving in the other direction to try and avoid the flying gun.

ALS for me, all the way.  The Oregon Defense Nub is a perfect addition.

Brian Nelson highlighted that a while back about the GLS.  

It is dependent on how your sling your long guns.  It is indeed a valid concern.  

For me, I sling my gun on the other side, so it isn't a concern.  Been using the GLS for a couple years now.

I DQ'd my first major 3 gun match by dropping a loaded gun out of a holster.

Ouch, sorry to hear it.  

Weber tactical gear with the G Code accessories........the hanger system Adam has is probably the best thought out set up out there, using the G Code quick detach system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a Lytton Custom w/ a boss hanger that I used for my Atlas Titan and it is the smoothest drawing holster I have ever used.. I have a Blade Tech and a Safariland for it as well and they don't even come close to the Lytton..  Add to that it's double walled and you can pick your colors/ pattern and you have perfection..

IMG_3440.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...