Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sharpening front strap checkering on Stock II

Bouboy02

Hey guys I searched and couldn't find anything. The front strap checkering on my stock 2 is extremely dull and might as well not even be there. I was wanting to sharpen the checkering up so I wouldn't have to use grip tape. What kind of file would Be best to do this? Also are there any tricks to doing it so it doesn't look terrible.

-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started a thread on this a while back, and got some good input from others. At the time the file I wanted to use was back ordered from Brownells, so I was waiting on it to become available again. I actually forgot about it, but haven't noticed the lack of grip. Part of me does think the checkering actually got gripper over time, though I'm not sure how that would be possible...

Check it out:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?showtopic=217176&hl=+sharpening%20+checkering

Can someone please link a video or describe briefly how to use these files to sharpen checkering? Just dig deeper into the existing lines? Or are there any other techniques?

Thanks!

That is the way I understood it. Hopeful someone that has actually done it can chime in...

You're saying all those serrations and checkering were created completely by a laser engraving machine??? Never heard of that before...

Yup.

Wow, that would be an excellent option to add checkering. I've only seen videos of milling the lines manually on a press (JP Customs with Power Factor Show) which is very complicated...

Yeah this guy local to me is a magician with his laser. Duplicated the "pyramid" front strap checkering found on custom guns. He can adjust depth and everything. It's quite amazing to see what he produces. Also, the front serrations match the rear on both guns, perfectly.

Edit: just some of his work. You can see the detail and depth is so precise.

20160728_133921_zpsx19y3zfx.png

20160728_133852_zpskhrkfcj3.png

20160728_133957_zps4qc28j2y.png

Who's work is this?

With the pictures above, just send it to the lazer engraver. The engraving looks realy deep and very precise. I'm tempted to send my 1911 to try the grip checkering as well. I hope they will share the engraver's contact info.