Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Got my CZ-712 3 Gun G2 - Compare to my CZ-712 ALS

Bam Bam

Well Finally received my CZ 712 3 Gun G2 yesterday at the FFL . Started doing comparison to what They changed in this model compared to my original ALS and the mods i made.

Many new items.

1) Bolt Carrier is 0.6 oz Lighter and the action bar assembly is .4 oz lighter. total 1.0oz

2) Bolt, chamber, and lifter are all matte steel and not chromed

3) new G2 models have the lock nut to hold barrel in place

4) New Bolt handle and includes bolt release button

5) all trigger components are matte black.

6) Include 3 extended Chokes Modified IC and Cylinder

7) seems lighter in hand than the ALS. Yes i know the ALS stock adds weight but the chroming and other things in the Trigger assembly they reduced the metal in the gun also.

8) i added the 12rd tube and barrel clamp It came with Nordic Red Follow in the new gun. Ironically i have the same in my ALS

9) Action spring in the new G2 has less loops and seems much lighter than the original spring, even the one i trimmed 6 loops off.

10) gas port holes seem the same as the original size. I increase one of my ports in the ALS to 0.125in to get it to run 980fps loads.

11) Comes with a White bead front sight. Really does not make sense with White steel targets. WIll be changing this out

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipP6Ht6gRbrX75DiAIOpA5HYuTGOSPuBG1bnv9_Z

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipOeyK1oTYFI4ql-WTjjrfyuZZrytbMzWtaBJMGS

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipOdQiZD3lEQWq7DNn8XB0riN9adksL4S8B9azU0

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipOuYFH3XhkxYFCZxdFAK-swm5Ry9tQvePU8LDQb

I will be taking it to the range tonight to see what i need to do to get this 3 gun functional. Testing all the current shells i have and slugs for accuracy with the Mod choke.

BGC

I am going to

Got mine today as well, it's my first 712 so I didn't have much to compare it to, packaging was nice with silly blue velvet sleeves on it. Came with the standard tube cap installed and the extension in the box. Extension threads on a little loose, but once snug has no movement. Hand guard fit is nice, the stock could use a bit of smoothing where it meets the receiver.

As soon as I got it home I ran 100 shells through it, mine appeared very happy with every single box of Winchester AA(1145, 1250, and 1300 FPS all 7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 ounce), but wouldn't reliably cycle Estate loads (2 3/4 and 3 dram, 7 1/2 shot, 1 ounce of shot, 1180 and 1235 FPS) or Remington 3 dram sport loads (1 1/8 ounce, 7 1/2 shot). I'm not sure why, I did notice the estate and Remington loads were steel hulls and the winchesters were brass. I ran federal vital shock 1oz low recoil (1300 FPS) slugs and was destroying 4" clays at 40 yards easily and consistently.

Clean up is quick and easy, I saw they advise using a red scotchbrite pad to clean the piston and mag tube where it rides, I lubed mine well before shooting and simply wiped it back to perfectly clean. I agree that the front sight is dumb, and am looking to swap it for a fiber optic pretty soon. It does sight accurately though and I found my POA and POI were in sync.

Edited by CupOfJoe190

Got mine last week and shot it at a match. Had the same experience with the Estate loads (3 dram, 1 oz 7 1/2 shot), wouldn't cycle properly. Worked great with AA loads and some heavy game loads we had. Really, really pleased with the shotgun, and outrageous for the price. Added a matchsaver and fiber optic sight yesterday and can't think of anything else it would "need" except maybe an oversized safety. I did dremel the carrier and loading port a little bit, but just to soften the edges not to really modify anything.

Well, I tested the follow Shells in my so far :

Walmart loads:

Winchester Universal 1200fps 1-1/8oz 7.5 Ran ( has issues in my ALS)

Federal Field & Target 1200fp 1-1/8oz 8 Ran (My goto round from Walmart for the ALS)

Other loads i have running in the ALS with my mods

Fiocchi Trainer 1200fps 7/8oz 7.5 no cycle

Winchester AA Low Recoil 980fps 26 Gram 8 shot No cycle

Fiocchi Target 1160fps 1-1/8oz 7.5 cycle

Didnt have the chance to try my Fiocchi 1150fps 1oz SLugs Forgot them ;-(.

Point of aim and impact where dead on. wish i brought the slugs and my slug steel to test distance

I probably open the loading port like my last one. Also debating about the opening the gas port on the piston like i did the ALS to allow all the shells to run. It is my three gun shotgun so i don see the need to the high velocity rounds and not going to be hunting with it. Probably get a Cheek Riser and butt pad for it. Kind of spoiled with the ALS stock. Going to get the tom -buster II sights on here. Take them from my Mossberg that i am not using. Also got a new knock off Match saver to see if it fits.

Still need to take apart and clean now to compare.

Will keep everyone posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in seeing where you guys are at with this gun. Just shot a match Sunday and coming to the very big consensus that regardless of how much I love my 870 I NEED to go semi as shotgun is the only thing that is destroying my time. Kept having loading issues because I wasn't fully returning the foregrip, and the pump action sometimes doesn't want to work with me. I keep her super clean and always lubed (not excessively).

I've been looking at the 930pro for some time now and ran across this recently. I couldn't find any feed back so a good ol' search on the forums and we have a few!

Please keep me posted as I'd like to make this jump by the next match!!

I'm interested in seeing where you guys are at with this gun. Just shot a match Sunday and coming to the very big consensus that regardless of how much I love my 870 I NEED to go semi as shotgun is the only thing that is destroying my time. Kept having loading issues because I wasn't fully returning the foregrip, and the pump action sometimes doesn't want to work with me. I keep her super clean and always lubed (not excessively).

I've been looking at the 930pro for some time now and ran across this recently. I couldn't find any feed back so a good ol' search on the forums and we have a few!

Please keep me posted as I'd like to make this jump by the next match!!

Well I used to run Mossberg for years. Issues was loading port is too small and issues with safety for me. Started running cz 712 fully this year. Pluses is I can uses some springs from benelli and chokes . I able to quad load this better than the Mossberg. Hoping mods I made this week I can run my light loads.

Bc

I have shot tarheel, fn series match , mid-atlantic championship, and armalite 3 man 3 gun with my als g1 this year. Receive the g2 after the armalite match. Will be practicing next week with the 3gun g2 next week.

Week before armalite at 3 gun camp my son had the hammer break but cz sent me a new redesined hammer in time for armalite

n

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Finally did some more tuning. Put my new Benelli reduced power trigger spring in, Open one gas port a little, lighten the action spring couple of loops. Opened the loading port and finally received my carrier/lifter from C-RUM and he did a bang up job on that.   The gun runs everything except the 980 ftp AA but i believe it is because of the length of the barrel with not enough pressure build up  or because  i have not polished the magtube and other parts yet or hit break in time yet. I have got  the 26in ALS gun running with the same setup with the 980 ftp AA so being an educated guess.

Slugs are 4 inches high at 50yds and dead on at 100yds with the current sights and IC choke. Using Fiocchi 1oz 1150fps loads. 1160fps 1 1/8 oz Ficoochi  and 1200fps 7/8oz Fioochi.  Also ran the 1200fps 1 1/8oz Federal Value rounds from Walmart.

So will be at FN USA 3Gun Championship this coming weekend to push it to the limit.

BGC

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Also, today I finally tackled a stock upgrade, as I felt the factory stock left a lot to be desired. 

The magpul sga grabbed my eye, so I took some measurements and essentially traced the rear of my receiver onto some paper to see how things matched up. The SGA is made for the 870 and mossberg 500, but I quickly saw the 870 would be a closer fit in size. On the way home, I stopped at Lowe's and got a button head M8-1.25 -40 to use for the mounting bolt, as the 870 has a much smaller bolt for attachment. Once I got home I got to work with the Dremel and a drill, and about an hour later...

its done. Fit is good, not perfect, but it feels and looks good, much better than the factory stock

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/gHOdDfn

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ktFL9RV

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/4sVhgji

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but I made a review of my cz 712 3 gun build. More like an overview. It started off as the utility model, i slowly introduced parts to cater it for 3 gun. Might I say, for the cost, it is awesome!

Ive only owned a benelli nova in the past. I know they are two different shotguns, but the nova made me appreciate how light the cz was!