Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shroud on Metallic gun

RippinSVT

Has this ever been tried? I was thinking about this per a convo at Bianchi: Stickshift Protocall shroud (less wings), low-profile iron sights, on a Metallic gun. You'd lose any reciprocation of the sights, have the mover base function just as if you had a scope, and would set the sights high up thus making prone shooting easier. Not to mention, you could more easily throw a thumb rest on the shroud if you choose. I was even thinking it would be cool to have a standard notch rear and a flip down peep, ala rear AR15 sight. I know it's gamey, but come on, so are wings and the rest of the gadgets we use in Open.

Thoughts?

Somethings to be considered.

Peep sights not allowed in metallic for a starters, sights must be post and notch type, as in traditional iron sights.

Moving the line of the sights higher above the centreline of the barrel will give you some of the problems with POA and POI at short ranges that Open Guns have and possibly slightly more so. I will have to think on that more.

Overall the firearm will be much wider and centre of firearm will have to be further away from barricade for that match. You will have to lean out much further at 25Y and 35Y on the barricades. May un-balance you somewhat. You will certainly have to get the gun much further out if you brace your knuckles against the barricade.

The whole idea does need looking into. I know I had some serious issues getting them to agree my gun was legal when I put the front sight on just the barrel and not directly on the slide, let alone completely off the gun itself.

Somethings to be considered.

Peep sights not allowed in metallic for a starters, sights must be post and notch type, as in traditional iron sights.

Moving the line of the sights higher above the centreline of the barrel will give you some of the problems with POA and POI at short ranges that Open Guns have and possibly slightly more so. I will have to think on that more.

Overall the firearm will be much wider and centre of firearm will have to be further away from barricade for that match. You will have to lean out much further at 25Y and 35Y on the barricades. May un-balance you somewhat. You will certainly have to get the gun much further out if you brace your knuckles against the barricade.

The whole idea does need looking into. I know I had some serious issues getting them to agree my gun was legal when I put the front sight on just the barrel and not directly on the slide, let alone completely off the gun itself.

Valid points. As far the barricade goes, I wonder if a person could figure out a grip that would allow holding the shroud with the support hand while not touching the barricade. I assume they'd knock you for "clamping onto barricade". I wonder if a wheelgun wouldn't be the ideal candidate for something like this...using a Bomar type PPC rib on top of a Stickshift.

The only solution for the grip on shroud thing is to make sure that you hand is only in contact with either the outer edge or the face (towards you) of teh barricade. I think if you were in contact with two surfaces and the "shroud" that could too easily be construed as grasping the barricade for support. Not "resting against" or "contact only for support"

The advantage of a wheel gun for this would be that the sights already sit higher in relation to the bottom of most sensible grips. A long integral platform for sight mounting. Aristocrat on top of stick shift would be an easy mount up.

I personally think that an Aristocrat rear sight and mover front sight would be better and easier to fix, plus getting a really nice grip for a revolver that works in metallic is more likely, and more stable.

About 100 years ago (maybe slightly less, despite how it feels!) when we first played with Bianchi in the Uk, I shot a couple of matches with my bull barrel PPC gun.

For barricade, it was possible to use a "pinch grip" to hold the barrel as you shot. From memory I think the cross-over style was more effective, but that relied on gripping the barricade as well. The straight- ahead grip, resting the support hand on the face of the barricade did work though, but needed a little more work. The aristocrat sight rib was key, as it gave you a point of reference for the supporting hand.

Not sure how any of this would be viewed under the new rules though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Warren,

Typical, rule say you may not grasp the barricade, nothing about grabbing the gun by the barrel. More difficult on a traditional Semi-Auto I will admit, but I can't see the rule that says you can't hold a gun by its barrel as long as it is safe.

The NRA could not organise a farting contest in a frat house.