Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA now offers their "seat and crimp" die

I spent some time googling it yesterday and see some micrometers dials available for seating dies but didnt see anything offered specifically for a 2in1 die. Any chance these are all sized the same (between manufacturers) and I can just take the micrometer stem out of the seat die to put into the 2in1?

6 hours ago, PhillySoldier said:

That certainly woulve came in handy this past weekend... I was going crazy trying to get an exact seating depth dialed in. 

I use a dial caliper, something you probably already have.

Write the ref measurement in my loading log book, so I can return to it when loading that combo/OAL again.

It works better if you flatten the screw...

I use this same deal on the die body to get a reference for the crimp depth adjustment.

SeatDieS.jpg

BestPicSmall.jpg

Edited by Kenstone

1 minute ago, PhillySoldier said:

I'll give that a try. I was trying to get an OAL of 1.125 and just kept jumping above or below by like 0.003. 

If you're seater is pushing on the ogive there's that much variation (0.003") bullet to bullet.

Yeah the problem is thats as close as im getting it when trying to dial it in and then seeing an additiona .002-.003 variation when fully running. I understand when running im gonna not be perfect but as far as dialing it in, i'd like to get as exact as possible.

Edited by PhillySoldier

• 10 months later...

I’ve been using a combo seat and crimp ever since moving from my turret to a progressive. And this allows me to use a powder check which I think is well worth it. The problem with the combo that I’ve found is the oal fluctuates a lot more. But I’ve found that the caliber matters too, with 40 the brass is much more consistent in my experience. I can set for 1.180 and have all rounds be almost dead on that oal. But with 9mm mixed brass and shooting for say 1.165, my oal was all over the place. It still didn’t seem to effect function or accuracy though. And it’s not a problem when loading my wife’s 9 minor ammo. But for my 9 major I just went back to separating the two steps for better consistency. I figure 8g of hs-6 fills the case so much it’s east to verify. Unlike 3g of titegroup. I need my powder check for that. 

I’m not sure if I can say my loads are more accurate after separating the two steps. I think it was basically the same as when I combine them 

• 5 months later...
On 8/14/2016 at 11:18 AM, Jim Watson said:

I wonder, is the DAA - Lee seat + crimp die different from a regular Lee seat + crimp die.

EGW says their EGW - Lee Undersize sizing die is not the same as a Lee "U" die.

I emailed EGW a month ago and they told me it was the same as the Lee die. Brass measures identically too.  It may have been different at one point - I saw people referring to the EGW as being less undersized as the Lee , but apparently that is not the case.  At least not now.  

On 8/14/2016 at 11:18 AM, Jim Watson said: