Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shell caddies ?

51 minutes ago, FortesInFide said:

I’ve been reading everything possible on the forum and would like to know a little more on which caddies have best retention. 

While the caddies dies in use now are fast and quite popular, I’m deoppomg shells more than preferable. 

So between Invictus and Taccom and Carbon Arms, which hold shells best?

Carbon arms have excellent retention.  They are a little slower on release, but that beats dropped shells in my book.  I also like that you can stack then right next to each other in a line, so they take up less real estate and you can grab 2 or 4 shells.

• 7 months later...

Another 2 thumbs up for Invictus here.  Adjustable, solid design, holds the shells in tight yet they are easy to retrieve.  Kevin’s always been there to answer my questions.  

I've been using a pair of Invictus Rack 12Qs and so far am very happy with them.  Retention is good, but not overly aggressive, and I love how adjustable they are for cant and rotation.  They're expensive, but think of it as a buy-once, cry-once situation.  

I would just go to a match, and probably 9/10 people would let you try their caddies for a stage or I know many shooters that have extra caddies to loan, and make the decision after you try some out. Downside is you won't get to practice with them prior to, but at least you'll get what you like/want without buying/selling or having stuff left over.

I use taccom, never had any issues, but I have all the older style, and one magnetic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I use AP custom 2L/6 and 4X4 but they went out of business. Bought several spring packages and doubled up on the 2L/6 carrier springs- prevented shells from popping out in certain situations. If I were to purchase a dual load system now I would probably go with carbon arms.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Love my safariland with the els. I am very rough on all my stuff and the safariland has made it through 3 hard as hell matches in Utah, plus other matches and still running strong. I don’t hide them or put them on the sides to prevent damage. I have fallen on them numerous times on different environments and they are still going strong. 

On a a side note, running them on a chest rig like Keith Garcia is super fast!

• 2 weeks later...

Have used AP custom L2/6 for years- double the springs on top. Unfortunately they went out of business. If you can find L2/6 grab them. Alternative is the carbon arms shell carrier. Several options either to double or quad load. Price is ok also and they are available. If more ammo is needed try a vest- several guys make them but they are more cumbersome than a shell holder on your belt.

• 4 weeks later...