Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shell caddies ?

Plus one on the Taccom. I was undecided between invictus Practical and Taccom. Taccom had a phone number to call on there website invictus did not that I could find. Tim from Taccom was sp helpful on the phone I went with his products. Ordered two of the 8 shell magnetic and one of the 8 sport series. Honestly they both work great. Magnetic is cool but I almost like the sport series more. Either way you can't go wrong.

Edited by pfcchambers

The Taccom Double Deuces are my favorite due to their angled pull. For less money and a smoother feeling pull, the sport series caddies are designed with the same angle, but is laser cut (faster than millling) from the same material. I'm using a couple of the 12-up sport series caddies and converted my chest rig over to the 4-up sport series caddies for 20 rds on it. Big benefit of the sport series is the price. You can probably load out your belt for the price of 1-2 caddies from other places.

Edited by EaZeNuTZ33

http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/gear/pouches-cases-and-holders/competition/holders/model-086---8-shotgun-shell-holder-model_086_8.html

Just picked up a few of these after taking a Keith Garcia class. Used them for the first time in a match yesterday and loved them. They adjust very nicely and hold the shells perfectly, not too tight and not too loose. I realized I never thought about them when I reloaded, only after the stage when I realized they were empty, that's a good sign. They will let you grab 2 or 4.

The only issue I have with the safariland ones is how much space they seem to take up. I wish I would have got the four packs instead of the eights. I have the old taccoms and they were ok but I wanted to try something new that held shells different.

I would recommend trying the Invictus Practical caddies before you buy anything else. I found the adjustability, shell retention, and grabs the best for my hands and shooting style. Plus, I'm hard on my gear and they are holding up well.

I'm currently using the 2.8's and a Deturk Lite vest.

Invictus followed by taccom are the best options out there in my opinion. I have used all of the big names and I like those to the best. I would say, at the next match ask someone to borrow caddies you are interested in. The 3gun community is the most open about sharing. We have all been there and know you can't afford to buy something you're not going to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grab 2 or 4? I cannot grab four as my hands are not big. Keep them on what belt?

With a little practice even small hands can load 4.

Starting from scratch I probably would teach myself strong hand load 2. The gun is in a better, more controllable position on tight stages and your focus is up more. Weak quads you're looking down and the gun is (mostly) parallel. Either work well with practice though.

Any belt works, use ELS, TMMS, or tek-lok. Probably more folks using ELS these days for ease of swapping gear around.

Grab 2 or 4? I cannot grab four as my hands are not big. Keep them on what belt?

I have Oompa Loompa hands and I quad load like a boss. Jumped from old school load 4 straight to weak hand quads with all Invictus gear and couldn't be happier. I've messed with AP and Taccom caddies but don't see myself dropping IP ever. And Invictus has hooked me up a few times when he had no reason to, so that doesn't hurt either.

I'm very very new to multi-gun...

My first caddy was the invictis 16 (basically (2)-2.8's put together sold as one unit...

It's awesome! Run it on a safari land els belt system...

The stages at my small local range only get up to 10-20 shotgun rounds... So the 16 is plenty if you include what's already in your gun...

With just 1/2 hour to hour of dry fire, can do dueces and slow quads no problem with this setup.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much love for Carbon Arms so I will plug them. I love my Carbon Arms caddies. I like how I can set them up how I want to when putting them together. The retention is great. I lay on mine all the time going prone and still have shells on my belt when I get up. You can set them up for load two or four easily. They are very customizable . It doesn't take big hands to load quads. I have little girly hands and I can do it just fine. It does require dexterity in the fingers, though.

Not much love for Carbon Arms so I will plug them. I love my Carbon Arms caddies. I like how I can set them up how I want to when putting them together. The retention is great. I lay on mine all the time going prone and still have shells on my belt when I get up. You can set them up for load two or four easily. They are very customizable . It doesn't take big hands to load quads. I have little girly hands and I can do it just fine. It does require dexterity in the fingers, though.

+1 on the Carbon Arms, I just received mine a few days ago. I went with the SSXL set up since I have big hands. I switched from the Taccom "The Deuce" and so far I really like it. The release is supper smooth and it also allows me to work on quad loading and still load two during matches. With the extra depth of the SSXL clips I can finally grab 4 shells and not knock of other shells from the caddies l had tried in the past.

Edited by mveto

• 1 month later...

Lots of good info here. Since I probably won't get to check out anyone's gear for quite some time and I'm very impatient I think I'm going to order one of Taccoms Soort Series holders to check out and play with over the winter. They are affordable enough that if it doesn't work out I won't worry about the money spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I also use the Safariland model. I use both the 4 shell and eight shell models and have been very happy with them. The only complaint that I have is the price and you have to adjust the length for different size shells where as some of the others out there allow the end of the shell to stick past the carrier so there is no adjustment required for different length shells. The Safariland captures both the rim and end of the shell. Kind of a pain since my practice (dummy) shells are longer than what I use in competition. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I’ve been reading everything possible on the forum and would like to know a little more on which caddies have best retention. 

While the caddies dies in use now are fast and quite popular, I’m deoppomg shells more than preferable. 

So between Invictus and Taccom and Carbon Arms, which hold shells best?