Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Get a shooting partner

John Dunn

I did a search a couldn't find a thread on this, so here goes.  I have found it beneficial to shoot with a partner who is similarly skilled and similarly interested in shooting.  I find that when shooting some of our local (completely unsanctioned ny IPSC/IDPA) matches often my goal is to stomp my buddy.  The good news is if you can beat him, you can usually beat the other local shooters as well.  My partner never had a draw to a hit at 5yds under .85 sec until one day at the range when we were egging each other on.  I pull a .79, and he immediately answered with a .75.  I realize these times aren't stunning, but they are smoking for our skill level.  We eventually maxed out at .71 and .73  (he won :()

My point is that if I had gone to the range solo that day, I would never have learned that I could get a draw down that fast and still get hits.  But with a partner I think, "Hell, if bozo can do it, so can I!"

The other advantages are that if you forget your stapler or tape, he'll have his.  The best part is you have a witness when you burn down an El Presidente or make a great shot.

Anyone else think partners are important?

I like both with and without, would not want either exclusively.

Having a buddy of similar skill helps duplicate match anxiety, and teaches how to shoot through those feelings.

It also helps to have witnesses when you both hit steel plates at 100 yds. :)

Shooting alone give me incredible focus and determination, shooting with Flex helps me perform under pressure. Both are good.

SA

I have no choice but to shoot alone, only guys i have gotten into shooting around here turned out to be morons, and lacked ANY dedication. then got mad because i was progressing faster than them... and such is life.

i think having a shooting buddy would be great for my USPSA competition, it greatly helped me in bullseye. now i kind of pick a top guy and aim to beat him at local matches.

John:

I practice alone almost exclusively because I am the only shooter in town. But, I do try to practice with other shooters at least once every two months. I especially look for a partner when I am having problems.

On the other hand, when I shot PPC and Action Pistol, I almost always practiced with another person. There are distinct advantages to both.

It would be nice to find a shooting buddy that had the same desire and goals but I live in a small town and outside a military base with the biggest "real" city over an hour away.  Shooting is pretty big down here in SE AZ but since getting to a real (USPSA club) match is about 2 hours away you don't have lots of people who are more then serious about shooting it.  We have a local steel match which is OK to keep in pratice but I haven't lost a match (monthly) in 7 years so I don't get challenged much.  I can usually take match winner with my revolver when everyone else is shooting thier autos.  My boys are getting to the age now where I can start getting back up to Tucson to shoot and go to the bottom of the totem pole :o).

Ron, I have the advantage that there are many more shooters at my skill level than there are at yours.  I guess it is lonely at the top.  I'd say my range time is 75% solo.  I hope next season is a little less hectic and I can get over to shoot at your club.

Intel6, my nearest club is also 2 hours away.  I feel your pain.:)

Pros of practicing with a buddy:

- pace each other*

- critique each other's shooting*

- makes practice less boring

*on the assumption that you are both in the same skill level

Cons of practicing with a buddy:

- unless he/she has the same determination and dedication as you do, it's not all that

- if you're a better shooter than your buddy, you might end up giving lessons instead of getting quality practice (not that there's anything wrong with encouraging and teaching newbies but if it's practice you want, you should practice someone with the same skill level)

Nothing reinforces learning better than teaching something to someone else. Keeps you honest. Helps you see whether or not you're right.    If you manage to actually help someone with something, you'd be surprised how much comes back to you from that person. Moreover, they end up trusting you and the word gets around. This is good.

Hey, and it's sometimes difficult finding someone to buddy-shoot with when you're female. The guys tend to shy away from the suggestion.  

"Hey, and it's sometimes difficult finding someone to buddy-shoot with when you're female. The guys tend to shy away from the suggestion."

That is a tough one.  There aren't near enough women in this sport.  My wife is pretty supportive of my shooting (doesn't care how much money I blast away), but there are times when the time suck gets to her.  She has never been jealous, but I think that if I started spending several hours per week with ANY other woman, her support might wane.

SiG Lady, your post got me thinking.  I've never had a female hunting, shooting, fishing buddy.  Kind of sad when you think about it.  Hopefully I can brainwash my two daughters into the love of markmanship when they get a little older.

SiG Lady, I definitely agree with you on that part where you learn more when you teach. I have learned so much. But there are times when you just want to concentrate on your own game especially when a major match is coming up. What usually happens to me is that I practice all my drills alone and then I meet up with a very good friend of mine who's really good and practice with him once in a while and then I can gauge myself against him. Then I will know if I have been doing the right thing or not. I would prefer practicing with him more often but since we live in different states, that is just not possible.

And yeah, this sport definitely needs more women. It would be great to encourage more women into this. John, don't hesitate to drag your daughters into this :)

SS-- How lucky you are, indeed!!

JD, FW-- I end up practicing alone a lot and all but it's sometimes not all that bad: It offers the occasion to really let no distractions in and to clear the mind and let the learning and the moment teach me what it will. (Expecially if I'm working off my "weaknesses" list just before the next match... as you said). But it would be nice to bounce a few concepts off a 'shooting buddy' more often... a little reality check keeps the energy levels up and moving forward.

What I want more than anything right now is to accelerate skills a zillion-fold, reach RO status and (in the meantime and in the future) teach this incredible sport/skill to others--male OR female. But I have a special spot in my mental future for teaching more women to enjoy the sport and (importantly) to want to excel in it.  We have but a tiny handful of female shooters at the range here at the moment--not many of them putting in time time that I do. With some luck and diplomacy I could evolve into sort-of a female RO/tutor later next year by default. That's OK too! Whatever gets me there! But I won't do it until I'm good at it. Yet, you know, with what bit I even now know I've turned a couple of people's heads around on the concepts already. It's fun to turn someone on to something and have him/her leave the range wow'd andchanged forever.

Without a shooting buddy (which is most of my practice), you have to be a lot more diligent about noticing what you are actually doing and not what you think you're doing.

A simple "Why do you dip your head like that?" can be worth hours..

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this doesn't land the wrong way but be carefull on who your buddy is based on ability.  I know in my case from other sports I've participated in, racquetball, jet ski racing, motorcycles, that a partner who is far below your skill level tends to pull you down because you are not pushed every time out.  When I played racquet ball and raced jet skis and practiced regularly with better people my skil level went up quickly.  When I was with others below my level it showed at the next race/match I and a lesser performance.  I think someone else said it that you end up teaching more than practicing.  Luckly right now my buddy is better than me, I just hope I don't slow him down.

I know in our sport beggers can't be choosers but its something to think about.

I have found having a shooting buddy one big asset. Now I have also found having several show up to practice not so big an asset (they yak and yak and not walk the walk.) So, you can have to many shooting buddies.

Now I also do martial arts allot. And I have much harder time finding a workout buddy (but I know it would be just as beneficial as a shooting buddy.) It has to do with hard workouts. Kind of hard finding people willing to do that.

Now as for a female shooting buddy.... for us married folk, that can spell trouble in River City (Male Fantasy: have the Swedish Bikini Shooting Team as you shooting buddies!)

Also the skill level argument is partially right. Don't have a buddy that is WAY below you (or above you) as either you will leave them behind for advanced practice, or they will leave you behind.)

Deaf

I notice that when I go practice by myself, I have a harder time focusing. I think that if you have a partner you will push yourself more. I personally don't like people seeing my at my worst, as I'm sure most of the people here feel the same way. Therefore I end up shooting better when other people are around me. Just one of those wierd things I guess?