Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI SteelMaster question

Nimitz

I wouldn't shoot major through one without changing out the recoil system. They come with a light Recoilmaster that's designed for minor loads. Swap in a standard guide rod and heavier spring and you should be good to go.

I would still be leery running major loads through it even with recoil spring changes. STI designed that for minor or sub minor steel loads. Not sure how much of the 9 major abuse it can take. I could be totally wrong but I would at least contact STI about that.

I wouldn't shoot major through one without changing out the recoil system. They come with a light Recoilmaster that's designed for minor loads. Swap in a standard guide rod and heavier spring and you should be good to go.

the matchmaster also comes with the light recoil master and its designed to shoot major. I know a guy who shoots 9mm major out of his steelmaster. Apparently the reason they dont recommend it for major is because it has the smaller comp. I have never looked at a steelmaster closely but i would just make sure it has a fully supported chamber. Im not a fan of the recoilmaster but it should be fine since the same one comes in the matchmaster. To my knowledge, the most important thing with shooting 9mm major is the fully supported chamber. If it has that you should be good to go. As for a 9mm major load beating the gun up more? I would think as long as you have the right weight recoil spring. It shouldnt be taking anymore abuse than a minor load with a light spring.

I have a steelmaster and run major through it. Standard guid rod and a #8 spring, works pertty good but it's not as tame as my full size 2011. I can't see shooting 2 or 3 rounds would do any damage on the factory recoil setup or crack the slide, but I wouldn't make a common practice of it. Nimitz, is it worth running it over the chrono to sell it? PF through a steelmaster is going to be different then 5" barrels w/wo poppel holes, number/size of holes, different comps etc.

Great, point ... Maybe I'll just see if I can find someone who has a 9mm major gun and run some through that .... The main reason for the chrono is that the guy who gave me the ammo wasn't supremely confident about it being 9 major ... Didn't want to sell it without at least checking it to see where abouts it is ...

The Trubor used to ship (and still does occasionally) with the T1 barrel. Many people shoot the little 4 port cheely comps or whatever on short guns. I had a T1 on my old gun (granted it was a 5", but whatever) and it shot major just fine.

The light recoil master comes in all the comped guns.

Pretty sure I remember someone weighing their slide, and it weighs the same as the matchmaster. Just cosmetically different cuts.

Just shoot major and don't worry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

^yup. My buddies trubor has a t1 minor comp. I'll be running major thru my Steelmaster this weekend. I have a heavy and light recoilmaster and will try both to see how it runs. I've run major on the light spring before and it seemed fine, granted it was only a couple of rounds for chrono. There wasn't much velocity difference between the 5" trubor and my Steelmaster. About 2-3 power factor.

STI told me about a year and half ago to "go ahead the gun can handle it, with a 9 or 10 lbs recoil spring it"

I ran mine at major all last year with a 9lbs spring, which kept the dot flat with my load.

• 3 years later...

Holy Cow this was 3 years ago!!!!

6.8grs WAC, 124 gr Jacketed HP, Hap's, MG or PD's they all worked fine and shot well!

1.165-70 OAL, I usually run Fed sm Rifle primers or CCI sm pistol, depending on what's available at the time.

On 7/30/2016 at 4:14 PM, jcc7x7 said:

STI told me about a year and half ago to "go ahead the gun can handle it, with a 9 or 10 lbs recoil spring it"

I ran mine at major all last year with a 9lbs spring, which kept the dot flat with my load.

I was just told the same thing by STI change springs to a 9 or 10 pound you can tell witch spring to use by the one that lays the empty brass 6 to 8 feet from you