Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Popularity

johes

Yes, and I am one of the shooters who recently decided to try the CZ in SSP division.

Not certain I have achieved any advantage by switching platforms yet, but the pistol (a CZ Custom Shadow) is certainly reliable, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot!

There are 3 or 4 other shooters who typically shoot CZ pistols (an average of about 25 total shooters per match, normally) and a few others have shown interest in the platform.

I've seen about 15 CZ/Tanfo type pistols (5 masters) at local matches. I think 3 or 4 shooters have given them up and gone back to their previous platforms. They're not for me but are gaining popularity in my area.

Can I just smirk? Yes. I am seeing more people use the P01 for CCP and more people use a SP01 Shadow for SSP and a few people using a 75B or rarer a 75 Shadow set up for ESP to get around the ssp into esp stuff you deal with using a sp01 framed gun.

Yea, lots more CZ guys than a few years ago. Even displaced Glock in Production. Nice ergonomics, very nice trigger, too many parts for me. And don't like watching guys lower the hammer for a USPSA Production start.

"And don't like watching guys lower the hammer for a USPSA Production start."

Agreed. Rule is same for IDPA SSP. Should let us stop at half cock same as decocker models. Unnecessarily unsafe in both sports.

Edited by johes

Agreed. Rule is same for IDPA SSP. Should let you stop at half cock same as decocker models. Unnecessarily unsafe in both sports.

Unsafe how? If the bullet was going to travel in an unsafe direction you would be getting DQ'd for sweeping before the damage was done.

Can I just smirk? Yes. I am seeing more people use the P01 for CCP and more people use a SP01 Shadow for SSP and a few people using a 75B or rarer a 75 Shadow set up for ESP to get around the ssp into esp stuff you deal with using a sp01 framed gun.

Exactly my "fleet" of CZ's Rowdy. SP01 Shadow for SSP, 75 Shadow SAO for ESP. Just picked up a P01 today. Good carry gun but I haven't decided if I want to bother w/CCP yet.

Edited by johes

Yes, and I am one of the shooters who recently decided to try the CZ in SSP division.

Not certain I have achieved any advantage by switching platforms yet, but the pistol (a CZ Custom Shadow) is certainly reliable, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot!

There are 3 or 4 other shooters who typically shoot CZ pistols (an average of about 25 total shooters per match, normally) and a few others have shown interest in the platform.

I was envious of Raven's shiny new CZ so I ordered myself an SP-01. I shot my RAMI a few matches ago and held my own overall. A fellow shooter was curious about the RAMI. I let him shoot it and now he is on the waiting list for one. This is how CZs spread. :)

I thought they spread because mediocre shooters see some Master shooting one and think it's another magic bullet.

That isn't how everyone chooses their gun of choice? That's how I ended up with my 2011 for ESP.

Actually, I wanted a 2011 and decided to justify the purchase by getting into competition shooting. :D

Agreed. Rule is same for IDPA SSP. Should let us stop at half cock same as decocker models. Unnecessarily unsafe in both sports.

^This!

I'd use my Stock 2 if it was legal :D

I don't compete with anyone but myself, but I can tell you why I picked CZs.

More accurate than any of the other plastic framed pistols I've bought the last few years (Glock, XDM, M&P).

Feels as good in my hand as the best of those (M&P).

Just as reliable as the best of those (XDM and Glock).

As to the dropping the hammer to half cock, when I was in the US Army (many years ago) and was on the battalion combat pistol team they made us run the 1911A1's that way. Lock the slide back, point the muzzle down at the ground in front of us at a 45 degree angle, insert the 5 round magazine, use the slide stop to release the slide, while holding the grip in our firing hand, place the thumb of the opposite hand in front of the firing pin, pull the trigger (dropping the hammer on the back of your thumb), remove your trigger finger from the trigger and trigger guard, remove your thumb from in front of the hammer, leaving the hammer on the half cock notch while continuing to leave the pistol pointed down at the ground at a 45 degree angle in front of you.

Then, when the fire command was given, thumb cock the hammer, aim the pistol at the target and begin firing. I thought it was pretty stupid since I'd never carry a 1911 around on half cock or load a 5 round magazine, but then again, there were a lot of things about the US Army that didn't match up with what I thought was smart.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2016 at 3:10 PM, johes said:

Anyone else seeing an increase in CZ popularity in IDPA?

The SP-01 models were illegal before October of 2013. That's when the rule book came out that increased the weight limit to 43oz in SSP. This is why the increase.

I shot CZs for a couple of years. They are a superb weapon, and more accurate than almost any other pistol I've ever fired. I owned 3 different Shadows, and all were great. My reason for going back to a polymer/striker gun for IDPA is because that's what I carry. I knew I'd probably never conceal carry a 2.5# gun, so I wanted to shoot and practice with something closer to my carry platform.

As for the OP's question, I was frequently the only CZ shooter at our local matches. 

Edited by BillR1

19 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

The SP-01 models were illegal before October of 2013. That's when the rule book came out that increased the weight limit to 43oz in SSP. This is why the increase.

they weren't illegal, you just had to build one that was 39oz or less. it was done.

I shoot my SP-01 Tactical in SSP and the PCR in CCP. I carry the PCR regularly. Having come from Sigs, the lower bore axis is nice and the accuracy is phenomenal.

Tried M&P's and Glocks, but I just can;t get used to the polymer, striker-fired guns.