Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning gen 3 vs gen5 pin

waktasz

I have used a 3 and a 4. When I talked to Hennings wife on the phone about the 4 vs the 5 she said the only differnce was how the gen 5 will work with the firing pin blocks without as many issues as the 4.

I personally found out shooting some Tula at a match none the less that the gen 3 did not light off the hard Tula primers as well as the gen 4 did. I had previously thought that the gen 3 hit a little harder but I am now using gen 4s.

This was in a single action limited gun with a 14 lb hammer spring and the firing pin block removed.

I have used the gen 3 for a while, then when the 4 came out, tried one of those, but it wouldn't work with my FPB in my production Stock II. I ended up getting a gen 5 when it replaced the gen 4 and it works PERFECTLY with the FPB. The problem with the gen 4 has been totally resolved.

As far as setting off hard primers, I'm still trying to figure that one out. My gen 3 would set off Winchester no problem, but had some problems with Rem 1-1/2's. I just shot a full match with the gen 5 and the Rem primers, and not a single problem. The gen 5 is lighter than the 3, as well as having the flutes machined into it, allowing air to move past it more freely. I do find it interesting that Eric Grauffel sells his extended pin, saying it is heavier to improve ignition, and Henning sells his saying the lighter weight pins help improve ignition. Not sure what to make of that. So far the gen 5 is a sweet piece of nicely machined and finished steel, and its working great for me, so I'll keep it in there for now, and carry the gen 3 with me as back up if anything gets wonkey...

I totally agree about the lighter/heavier question.

When I first stared with the tanfo I had an EG pin and experienced some light strikes. I think they were partially ammo related and partially FPB fitment related but I am running the Henning gen3 now and it's been good for me.

I have used the gen 3 for a while, then when the 4 came out, tried one of those, but it wouldn't work with my FPB in my production Stock II. I ended up getting a gen 5 when it replaced the gen 4 and it works PERFECTLY with the FPB. The problem with the gen 4 has been totally resolved.

As far as setting off hard primers, I'm still trying to figure that one out. My gen 3 would set off Winchester no problem, but had some problems with Rem 1-1/2's. I just shot a full match with the gen 5 and the Rem primers, and not a single problem. The gen 5 is lighter than the 3, as well as having the flutes machined into it, allowing air to move past it more freely. I do find it interesting that Eric Grauffel sells his extended pin, saying it is heavier to improve ignition, and Henning sells his saying the lighter weight pins help improve ignition. Not sure what to make of that. So far the gen 5 is a sweet piece of nicely machined and finished steel, and its working great for me, so I'll keep it in there for now, and carry the gen 3 with me as back up if anything gets wonkey...

The G5 is about 25% lighter than the EG part. And iirc, about 15-20% lighter than the G3. The 5 does operate the fbp flawlessly. The EG launches the pencil higher. Mirror polishing the G5 didn't improve the pencil test. neither is 100% with hard ass wolf primers. I still need to evaluate both with S&B primers (need bullets!) Both are 100% with federal even running stuuupid light springs.