Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cultivate a moving mind

benos

When the mind is relaxed and open, it is capable of responding immediately, wherever needed. Cultivate a moving mind whenever possible. Don't limit your training to practice and range time.

How do you cultivate a moving mind? Directly learn for yourself what a "stopped mind" is, and it's affect on your actions.

be

This is one of the reasons I decided to take a year of shooting and race instead. It seemed like I was at a point where I was just going through the motions. Load, practice, shoot a match and repeat. Practices varied but its still the same stuff. Matches always seemed to a been there done that. Mentally I was doing, but not learning. And its not like there isn't a lot more stuff to learn for me, I just didn't know where to look.

I needed to put my mind on a new learning curve. To start from scratch in a new sport that is technically oriented like IPSC but most of the difference in being successful comes from within.

Imagine (for the old timers on this board) knowing what you know now about competing, but being able to start from the beginning again. Learning to shoot all over again, but with the understanding of what it takes to learn and develop yourself as a competitive shooter.

Everything I have learned about competing and learning, I learned almost strictly from shooting, and mostly IPSC. I was also very fortunate that early on (in 1990 or '91) a friend handed me a book entitled "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals." This book taught me how to learn, and I can't express my grattitude enough to its author who challenged my perceptions on shooting but life in general. Thanks BE. One other thing, in the preface you stated that it was a goal that "Skiers, tennis players, or any athlete, could read this book and benefit from its contents. This book is about performance. It happens to deal with shooting directly." After a successful year racing, I'd have to say you have done exactly that. Well done.

Well I gotta a big match to get ready for, and feeling a bit rusty I really should get back to dryfiring.

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 11:13 am on Nov. 14, 2002)

Thank you Pat.

Eventually, continuing to learn (in a particular realm) becomes the most subtlest of things. To refine what's already fairly pure requires tremendous attention.

And thanks for your continuing help and support on the forum! It is appreciated by many.

stay sharp!

be

"Moving mind" and "stopped mind" could relate to the Zen parable of the student who was shown a glass filled with water which the Master kept overflowing until the student asked why. He was told that, just as a glass full of water could accept no more, a mind filled with preconceptions could learn no more. I think that learning how to learn involves emptying the mind and re-filling it.