Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New here and to 3 gun - Need help with shotgun choice

Zeros

I completely get the advantage of a longer tube, but at the same time there has to be a point where it's just too long to be practical. (See Jesse Tischaier's video of the +18 extension on his Benelli for 23 rounds total with the ghost load) I think a +8 on a 26" gun, or even a 24" would be about the best compromise between capacity and maneuverability, but until I get the hang of things I don't see the need to deal with the extra length and weight, so I'm thinking the +6 on the 24" gun will fit my needs. 

On a side note, the 24" Stoger with extended choke is the same length as my 26" Browning Gold, so it's already a longer gun compared to some of the competition. 

I appreciate your input, but it did sound more like a smartass comment and not a helpful one. 

Edited by koreytm

4 minutes ago, koreytm said:

I appreciate your input, but it did sound more like a smartass comment and not a helpful one. 

My wife tells me almost the same thing daily. I usually have to warm up with smartass mode before I can get to helpful mode. 

Okay, so a 24" barrel it is, and a +6 tube extension is the way to go, at least to start with. Or, a +5 if aesthetics matter...

Koreytm, based on your experiences (thanks), I think I'm going to order an M3000 with competition package from MOA Precision. I left them a message and sent email so I hope to hear from them soon, before I change my mind, again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save some money and get a +9 off of the bat. It will give you room to pick the gun up and drop a quad load on stages where you have movement. It looks stupid. It took me several tubes to get over it but it is the way to go. It gives more options to shoot a stage and the down side is very little. When you consider how long a 24 or 26" shotgun is, a few more inches doesn't really matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a like new in box M2 Field for $800 off of a local board. Made the mistake of reselling it for profit instead of keeping it and shooting it! Keeping my eyes open for another sweetheart deal. In the meantime, I had a Stoeger and the ergonomics just felt off. I had to reach and turn my wrist a lot to get form the grip to the trigger and the safety felt like it got in the way. I tried all sorts of shims to change the angle but could not get it to feel right. YMMV, but I am saving for the M2 again.

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

The mass exodus of people from the JM Pro camp as soon as viable alternatives came to market seems to prove otherwise...

Yes you are correct I hate the versa max. I've seen some trouble with the pro but easy fix

17 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Yes you are correct I hate the versa max. I've seen some trouble with the pro but easy fix

Must say I didn't jump on the JM pro til this year. and Mossberg has obviously made all of the updates on their current on the shelf 930 jm pros because I absolutely love mine!! 24" 9+1 with Or3gun follower and forearm retainer, added a taccom matchsaver and that's all I've done besides some stippling and she runs like a beast!! 1200 fps shells and let her eat! Soft shooting and I haven't had any issue with POA/POI as I've heard with some people that jumped on the Jm pro in 2013-2014.