Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New here and to 3 gun - Need help with shotgun choice

Zeros

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and am thinking about giving 3 gun a try. I have a pistol and rifle, but no shotgun. That's where you all come in. I would like to list my options to get your expert opinions to help me make a decision.

#1. New stoeger M3k. $630 at my local Cabelas ( I know I can get it cheaper online, but I have like $600 in Cabelas gift cards that I'm stuck with). This was my first choice but Cabelas had been trying to get me one for literally 2 months now and is having no luck. If I wait a while u can probably get one from them.

#2 New Beretta 1301 comp 21in. $780. Again at cabelas. This was recommended as an alternative to the M3k by the manager. That is if he can get the only one in the company sent to my store. These gift cards are really screwing me.

#3 Lightly used Remington Versa max tactical. $575 from a local private sale. Then I just have to dump the gift cards somehow.

I know the M3k and 1301 would each need a tube, so I'm looking at $80 on top of the listed prices, While the tactical comes with one. The down side to the tactical is that I don't think the loading port is opened up like the other two.

I'm sorry for the long post, especially being my first here, but I am just trying to see what you all would do in this situation. Thanks.

For me, it would be between the Stoeger and the 1301. However, I would probably go with the 1301 if it were the 24" because of the better quality and softer shooting. But you stated that the 1301 you can get is the 21" so it's a toss up.

Welcome aboard the Brian Enos Forums :)

If you go back and read some old posts, right here on BE, you'll

find a wealth of info re: shotguns for 3-gun.

PE Kelly has written tons of really great stuff on the subject.

Be a LOT more valuable for you to read what has already been

written than getting some random thoughts on the subject.

Good luck with it ... :)

Keep in mind your tube to hold 10 rounds will be the length of a 26" barrel. So why not get a 26" M3000 or the beretta with the 24". I think that would be good choices.

I agree on both, but the Stoeger M3K only comes in 24" and the only Beretta available at this store is a 21".

For me, it would be between the Stoeger and the 1301. However, I would probably go with the 1301 if it were the 24" because of the better quality and softer shooting. But you stated that the 1301 you can get is the 21" so it's a toss up.

May I ask why you would pass on the VersaMax tactical?

I am also a bit concerned that the 1301 in 21" might be a bit short, especially with a longer tube on it.

Edited by Zeros

I've got a 1301 with a tube from tac com and if you're shooting practical division it's hilariously long. Personally I think it's great. Any shotgun wil likely have that issue as adding a ginormous metal tube to the end tends to do that. Function wise it's been perfect. I've got about 500 rounds through mine and no hiccups of any kind.

I've got a 1301 with a tube from tac com and if you're shooting practical division it's hilariously long. Personally I think it's great. Any shotgun wil likely have that issue as adding a ginormous metal tube to the end tends to do that. Function wise it's been perfect. I've got about 500 rounds through mine and no hiccups of any kind.

+1 on the experience with the 1301. It eats everything and has a very soft recoil for quick follow up shots. I do think that the loading port needs work to make double or quad loads easier.

May I ask why you would pass on the VersaMax tactical?

I am also a bit concerned that the 1301 in 21" might be a bit short, especially with a longer tube on it.

In my opinion, it's just really heavy and the barrel is a bit short (22"). I would go with the 1301 in 21" or the Stoeger over the VersaMax personally for those reasons.

Regarding the 1301 21", IMO it's a bit short now days because of three reasons. Shorter sight radius, slightly less knockdown velocity and doesn't "swing" quite as smooth. While you may not really notice a significant benefit from a 24" barrel now, you could later and it's better to buy the right tool for the job the first time. Otherwise, you may regret your purchase and feel like you need to buy again.

I personally went with a 26" (Benelli M2). It's so light that the extra 2" doesn't add any significant overall weight but it swings really nicely and that extra sight radius really helps for those longer slug shots. There's a big difference between a heavy shotgun with a 21" barrel like the VersaMax and a light shotgun like the M2 or 1301 with a 24" barrel. The VersaMax swings smooth but the weight makes changing directions and transitions slower. The light guns swings just as smooth because of the longer barrel but also transitions much faster.

Thank you, I completely get what you are saying. I would love to go with a Benelli but they're just out of my price range right now. What are your thoughts on the Stoeger m3k. That's a 24-inch Barrel but I'm not sure the weight compared to the other ones.

Thank you, I completely get what you are saying. I would love to go with a Benelli but they're just out of my price range right now. What are your thoughts on the Stoeger m3k. That's a 24-inch Barrel but I'm not sure the weight compared to the other ones.

The Stoeger is an M2 clone so it's basically a less expensive version of the M2. The overall quality isn't quite as high so it will likely not last as long and may require more frequent maintenance but it's really a good value. I personally haven't actually shot one but they're light and in my opinion, a great choice. A lot of the M2 aftermarket and factory parts are interchangeable which is a big plus and why they're so popular.

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2016 at 7:48 AM, Zeros said:

Looks like I will be getting a M3K finally. My local store called and said they should have one for me in a week or two. I am not holding my breath, but I think they will come through for me.

Did you get this?  What do you think so far?  I picked up a Gen 1 M3K from a local shop that had one in stock for $600, and even though I did a bunch of comparison on this forum and elsewhere online between the M3000 and the M3K, now that I actually have it home and started playing with is I kind of wish I would've got an M3000 (probably even a 26" too) for $450.  I still feel like the M3K loading port needs to be opened up so I really didn't gain anything there with the M3K over the M3000, and even though it already comes with an oversized safety, it's very stiff so I'm probably going to end up replacing it with an MOA oversized safety.  It's going to need a longer mag tube and a different follower (just like the M3000 would) which is about $100 right there.  I just found Jesse Tischauer's youtube video from a couple years ago where he as an M3000 all set up for about $650 total...I spent $600 on the M3K and still am going to need about $100-$150 in parts yet.

Edited by koreytm

I couldn't agree more.  I waited 2 months for my M3k and now feel the same way.  Don't get me wrong, I love my M3K.  I picked up a MOA precision +5 tube and follower for about $100, so I am at about $700 so far. I have already looked into replacing the charging handle and bolt release with the MOA ones, but then what was the point in getting a M3K?  All it would have at that point over a 24" M3000 is a larger safety,  slightly opened loading port and a higher stamped serial number so that the port could be opened more.  If I was to do it over I think I would go with the 24" M3000 and use the extra $100 towards those other parts.

The tube is slightly longer when there is no choke.  With a choke in they are just about even.  This is the only picture I have with me at work on my phone, but I can take a closer pic when I get home if you want.

20160803_174526.jpg

Edited by Zeros

Thanks Zeros!

So just to confirm, that's the 24" barrel and a +5 tube right?  Does that give you a total of 9+1 in the gun?

So, of course the next question is how much longer is the +6 tube?  I'm guessing it will be about 2 3/4 - 3 inches longer???  My dilemma is that I'm trying to decide between the 24" barrel with +5 tube, or the 26" barrel with a +6 tube.   Decisions, decisions, decisions...  I can NEVER make up my mind BEFORE I buy, it's always after I buy the wrong one.

Cuz

Edited by Cuz

25 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Thanks Zeros!

So just to confirm, that's the 24" barrel and a +5 tube right?

So, of course the next question is how much longer is the +6 tube?  I'm guessing it will be about 2 3/4 - 3 inches longer???

Cuz

I've been having the same delema, +5 or +6???  I like the physical size and look of the +5, but I can't help but think that I'll want an even number of rounds in the magazine for loading doubles...I could be way off though.  It seems like most people do the +5 and are very happy with it.  I'm kind of leaning towards the +6 though...

If I had a 26" I'd probably be deciding between a +7 or +8.

And that is definitely a +5 on a 24" barrel that Zeros has with the extended choke in.

Here is a +6 on a 24" barrel with extended choke:

image.jpeg

Edited by koreytm

2 minutes ago, koreytm said:

Thanks tips.

I assume that's sarcasm as a reply to my slightly sarcastic post. I just hate seeing guys buy 4 different extension tubes till they all eventually end up at 12 or more in the tube inevitably, regardless of barrel length. I wish someone would have told me that when I started, I'm pretty sure I have a +2, +3 and a +4 Nordic tube floating around my basement that I'll never use.

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

I assume that's sarcasm as a reply to my slightly sarcastic post. I just hate seeing guys buy 4 different extension tubes till they all eventually end up at 12 or more in the tube inevitably, regardless of barrel length. I wish someone would have told me that when I started, I'm pretty sure I have a +2, +3 and a +4 Nordic tube floating around my basement that I'll never use.

Oh yeah, total sarcasm. For us new guys it really is a hard decision. We don't know what we're going to like until we try it out. I joined this site because I saw so many people on here helping other people, and I wanted to pick their brains. I don't want to end up buying 2 or 3 different guns, or tubes, or barrels, etc. over the next couple years. I want to get other people's input to help me decide what I think is going to work the best for me, since I don't have any personal experience to base it on. 

Heck if I hadn't found this sight I'd probably be putting a +4 and a synthetic stock on my grandpa's old 1100 and end up ruining it. That was my original plan until I started looking into it. 

I almost did that with my Dad's 1100. Like you, this and other sites steered me clear of such nonsense. When I started I was exactly where you are, I knew I needed more capacity but I couldn't get over how a longer tube looked. I was more concerned about aesthetics than function. If you intend to get serious about this game you will start looking to gain advantages through equipment, and shotgun capacity is a cheap upgrade and very low hanging fruit that makes a huge difference in your stage planning options. Once you get to that point you'll completely forget about aesthetics. You said you joined this site because people help each other out. This is me telling you what I wish I knew when I started, sorry if that makes me come off like a dick.