Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recovery from 'Shooters Elbow'

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:57 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Well.

This certainly isn't snake oil, Chad.

Last week life got busy, and I got lazy, and skipped the exercises four days straight. The pain came right back to original intensity quite rapidly.

I've been doing the exercises the past two nights, and the pain is already fading. Weights have been 15/15/20 for the weights on the wrist curls/raises and 20/20/30 on the first two exercises.

I'd be interested to know how this is going for you, over a year out now.  Have you maintained your progress and has it helped? Did you move to something else?   Reading the earlier posts I know it helped with the pain, but has there been a performance improvement as well?  How quick do you return to pre-exercise condition if you skip a day/week/etc?

Very curious as its looking like I will need to rehab an elbow issue myself

1 hour ago, JeremiahD said:

I'd be interested to know how this is going for you, over a year out now.  Have you maintained your progress and has it helped? Did you move to something else?   Reading the earlier posts I know it helped with the pain, but has there been a performance improvement as well?  How quick do you return to pre-exercise condition if you skip a day/week/etc?

Very curious as its looking like I will need to rehab an elbow issue myself

I haven’t done the exercises in probably three months. I am averaging one day on the range at a USPSA match every 6-8 weeks right now and I’m doing zero practice in between, so my elbow hasn’t been aggravated at all.

Whenever I have resumed shooting and dryfiring, doing the exercises 2-3 times a week has made sure that the pain didn’t flare back up. 

I have to say that I’m living with zero elbow pain now, and have been for over a year.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I haven’t done the exercises in probably three months. I am averaging one day on the range at a USPSA match every 6-8 weeks right now and I’m doing zero practice in between, so my elbow hasn’t been aggravated at all.

Whenever I have resumed shooting and dryfiring, doing the exercises 2-3 times a week has made sure that the pain didn’t flare back up. 

I have to say that I’m living with zero elbow pain now, and have been for over a year.

Thanks!  It sounds like its the ticket for long term recovery and preventative maintenance.  I appreciate your feedback

• 10 months later...

I’ve been talking with chad and doing the exercises as well. But mine is so far advanced that surgery looks to be the only solution ?  I can’t even get past 10lb weights in my right hand. Puts me in tears 

Edited by Loudgp

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm in the midst of battling shooters elbow.  I've been following @badchad recommendations for a few weeks but I haven't gotten relief yet.  I think the problem is that I'm not pushing myself hard enough.   Chad is suggesting going medium and then hard / hard to a point of repetition failure.  I've be only going relatively easy and finishing all 15 reps.     Kind of like 10lbs, then 20lbs on the curls / triceps. 

Wasn't looking to add yet another item to my daily task of 'things', but current situation is not sustainable.  Pain during shooting and everyday activity.   

anyone else with long term progress updates  ?

18 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

I'm in the midst of battling shooters elbow.  I've been following @badchad recommendations for a few weeks but I haven't gotten relief yet.  I think the problem is that I'm not pushing myself hard enough.   Chad is suggesting going medium and then hard / hard to a point of repetition failure.  I've be only going relatively easy and finishing all 15 reps.     Kind of like 10lbs, then 20lbs on the curls / triceps. 

Wasn't looking to add yet another item to my daily task of 'things', but current situation is not sustainable.  Pain during shooting and everyday activity.   

anyone else with long term progress updates  ?

When lifting for a strength increase, when something is listed as “3 sets of 15 reps” the goal is for you to figure out what weight will allow you to stall at rep 14-15... meaning doing a 16th lift is pretty much impossible.

The trick here is to ensure you don’t allow your form to break down, and that you’re still performing the exercise only by contracting the desired muscle; it’s easy to do a curl by swinging from the shoulder to get the weight moving, rather than strictly contract at the bicep and ONLY rotate at the elbow.

Watch his form. Replicate it precisely. Lift heavy.

It keeps the pain entirely away, for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but figured that was preferable to starting a new/redundant topic?  At any rate, I previously had shooter’s elbow so bad that I couldn’t straighten my left arm completely (in any context) and my left arm was fairly useless after a weekend of shooting - not even a lot of rounds, under 500. After completing these exercises almost every day for a couple months, in addition to the hand and wrist stretches prescribed for carpal tunnel issues, (knocking on wood here) I’m completely pain free. Left elbow is great. Carpal tunnel issues on right side 90% better. Shot a thousand rounds of some pretty hot 9mm over a 3 day class a month ago. Shot a thousand rounds, same hot ammo, over another 3 day class last week. Shot a steel challenge match yesterday. ZERO pain. 

Seriously, folks. If you’re having tendinitis and/or carpal tunnel issues, try these exercises. And I second @MemphisMechanic assessment to lift as heavy as you can while maintaining good form. Avoiding injections, surgery, and even doctor/PT visits....seriously...No exaggeration to say it is life changing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/3/2016 at 10:14 AM, badchad said:

Yeah, that's an interesting phenomenon isn't it? I think it can take weeks to months to get the tendon to remodel and back to full strength, but the pain reduction is almost immediate. Years ago I used to do all the same exercises followed by massage and ultrasound and I thought the exercise made the muscles and tendons stronger, while the massage and ultrasound made the tendon feel better. It took me years to figure out that it was the exercise itself that makes the tendons feel better and the massage/ultrasound was doing almost nothing. Counter-intuitively the exercises didn't work unless the weights were heavy enough to really stress the tendon. Even having read all the research on the subject, I didn't get a true appreciation for how it worked until the last time I got 'shooter's elbow' myself. If I missed a few days of training my pain came back worse, but if I did the exercises daily, strength rapidly returned while pain dissipated. So it's really cool to see you are finding the same thing. I tell people to just "keep trudging," and way more often then not I tell them to "go heavier."

Question, how quick till you folks were able to dryfire again? 

• 1 year later...