Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Barrel - Ammo Help

Hey guys, I just built a new 3 gun rifle and have been testing different factory ammo to see what my barrel likes. Honestly, I've tried looking to see what my JP 18in 1/8 twist barrel likes and came up short. Compared to my armalite 3 gun which loved the 69gr hpbt from freedom (easily sub moa @ 100yards) this JP barrel doesn't group as tight with that load.

I just wanted to see what everyone else with this barrel had luck with. I tested some ammo this past weekend at 50 yards since the 100 yard lanes were packed with the following ammo: 69gr HPBT from freedom (~.75 inch group), AE 55gr 223 bulk pack (~.7 inch group), and AE 55gr FMJBT (~.5 inch group). I was shooting from a lead sled with 1-6x razor. I will be trying out some Hornady 55gr vmax, hopefully some freedom 55gr vmax as well as some pmc this weekend. I just want to find something that is very accurate without going full blown match ammo that would empty my wallet week to week.

Being a brand new build im just trying to save some money and see what everyone else has had luck with. Thank you guys in advance for your help. Really glad i found this forum!

Edited by sNICKers

The game is generally as simple as decent bullets and consistent powder charges. The standard for factory accuracy loads is Federal GMM. Try 69's and 77's...

Yeah, i just found i have a box of those left .. didnt know. Im gonna give it a shot this weekend. Thanks WGJ3.

I shot my best groups with hand loaded 55g Vmax & Zmax bullets. Sub MOA thru a JP 18" medium contour. 69g SMK work well also.

Freedom replaced some problem ammo with the Fiocchi Match 69g SMK that I used for 300+ yds with good results.

I shot my best groups with hand loaded 55g Vmax & Zmax bullets. Sub MOA thru a JP 18" medium contour. 69g SMK work well also.

Freedom replaced some problem ammo with the Fiocchi Match 69g SMK that I used for 300+ yds with good results.

This was more what i was looking for. Thanks Slowhand. I dont have a press yet so im going to try different Vmaxs. the 69 SMK i have is the Federal stuff GMM, ill try to see if the rifle likes it. Thanks again.

Try running some Hornady steel match in the 55gr and 75gr flavor. You really don't need match grade ammo for anything but long range targets and even then it's debatable if you are shooting 4 MOA sized targets.

Fed GMM 69's were crazy accurate in my 20" JP. 5 shots were covered by a dime at 100.

In my 14.5" JP, Prvi 75's were more accurate than the Fed GMM. Both were under 1 MOA but the Prvi was better and cheaper...

I have never shot 77+ out of my JP. I have used 68 and 69 grain hand loads that were sub MOA. I have used Hornady Steel match that we at MOA or slightly better. I have used 55 from everyone.

I can still pound a steel plate at 400+ yards with all of them.

I had some guys next to me pounding 600 and 800 yards with 855. Who knew but they had their equipment dialed in!

Bottom line for my JP and my other gun with JP barrels is it shot everything well within a MOA. Some of my hand loads were 1/4 MOA but that was a scope/skill issue. Also all my 100 yard groupings were done in a tunnel. I also verified by dope by using two targets (different ammo) at various distances out to 350++.

Sierra 77gr and 69gr handloads grouped best in my JP barrel. I use these for 200+ targets.

Mine also groups well with Stand 1 Armory 55's if you want light bullets. Also had good luck with Hornady steel match 75's and 55's.

Edited by prreed10

Hi-Power, I totally agree! I use the tunnel to establish the base line. Then move out to our open ranges with pairs of targets at 200, 300, 400, and 450. I used pairs cause I matched up handloads and 193 then Hornday Steel Match 55? and 75.

I am out of town but my dope card is with my bag. I use a Swaro 1.7-10 scope a BRT reticle I think is what it is called.

I have an 18" light contour JP CTR-02. It shoots most things good, but really likes Fiochhi 77gr SMK ammo (5 shots @ 100yds covered by a dime). By contrast, it doesn't like 75 gr bullets (1.5" at 100). I have shot many different factory loads and the Fiochhi group the best. Buy a box of each type of ammo that you want to try and go to the range. Since we normally heat our barrels up on close targets before shooting at longer ranges in 3 gun, I ran 20 rounds or so through it before starting to shoot for group, I had made a target with 9 reference points and waited equal amounts of time between strings. I fired 5 shot groups each time and was using a 10x scope, the rifle was bagged front and rear. I like the tunnel thing, but don't have access to one.

Hurley

I use Fiocchi 40gr for 3 gun. They shoot under 1" with a 4x scope with almost no recoil. I also get better accuracy with lighter bullets than heavier in both my JP Uppers. I get the same performance with my JP 15 upper as the CTR 02.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The most accurate load I have found across the most barrels...and one that I use to accuracy test any new barrels I get, is the Fiocchi Exacta 77 grain SMK.  It may not be the fastest, but I have shot some amazingly small groups over and over with it.  If it won't shoot that, it's probably not a shooter

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2016 at 2:50 PM, sNICKers said:

Hey guys, I just built a new 3 gun rifle and have been testing different factory ammo to see what my barrel likes. Honestly, I've tried looking to see what my JP 18in 1/8 twist barrel likes and came up short. Compared to my armalite 3 gun which loved the 69gr hpbt from freedom (easily sub moa @ 100yards) this JP barrel doesn't group as tight with that load.

I just wanted to see what everyone else with this barrel had luck with. I tested some ammo this past weekend at 50 yards since the 100 yard lanes were packed with the following ammo: 69gr HPBT from freedom (~.75 inch group), AE 55gr 223 bulk pack (~.7 inch group), and AE 55gr FMJBT (~.5 inch group). I was shooting from a lead sled with 1-6x razor. I will be trying out some Hornady 55gr vmax, hopefully some freedom 55gr vmax as well as some pmc this weekend. I just want to find something that is very accurate without going full blown match ammo that would empty my wallet week to week.

Being a brand new build im just trying to save some money and see what everyone else has had luck with. Thank you guys in advance for your help. Really glad i found this forum!

All my JP barrels and hell every barrel I've ever owned loves black hills 69gr SMK ammo.  I've used their Remam stuff for 6 years without ever having an issue.  That stuff consistently shoots tighter groups that any of the different factory Hornady bullet/loads I've tried.