Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"the Partials" - New Drill / Test

dirtypool40

ask around, dude. It's real. you just work on the shooting too much and the draw not enough, that's all. Matt McLearn claims .60 second draw and hit average, with a Limited rig, and .80 second CONCEALED.

with a speed rig and hands at sides, warmed up, I used to average under .65 second, for All rds in the C or better at  10 yds, and over half in the A.  I never could slow down enough to keep them in the A, enough to make up for the loss in time, anyway.

Nobody shoots Leatherslaps anymore, or you'd know that I'm right.  :-)  Hell, Robbie claimed .80 second averages, in the A at 10 yds, from surrender start and with a limited rig, about 10 years ago.  Where you guys been?

Jedi Master, will you be attending a match near me anytime soon?

I suckered the boys into shooting the partials as a vice-pres at the webfoot festival today.

Boy did my HF blow chunks. 4.96 HF with TWO reloads. Apparently you're supposed to seat the magazine. It just doesn't stick in the gun magnetically. :0

Thanks for the groovy drill DP. It was fun to shoot a hoser stage, then partials. :)

Yeah, that was a fun one. I think I could have shot it better IF I could have felt my hands.

It is interesting how you can run this same drill without the no shoots and land all shots in the A zone run after run but throw up a no shoot and all of a sudden white tape is necessary.

I set it up as a 10y VP this weekend and won it with a 7.50 in standard. I know that's not smoking, but again without whining too much, remember I can't see. I guess there's something to the whole NPI / index thing. I slowed down a little, but was only down two points.

A sub 4.0 is pretty freakin' smokin' Eric W, hell a sub 5.0 in a match is pretty friggin' sweet. Hell, I had trouble breaking 4.0 on open targets.

I ran it after the match with the open gun, crappy draw and reload, but a 4.25 time. Draw and load were around 1.35. Before the eye prob, I was hitting draw / load with the standard gun in around 1.05 on this drill.

A funny aside. I set up the match with the box for this one at 25y, just to hear the groans as people walked through. It was pretty fun. Then as the first squad actually took the stage, we moved it down to 10y. :P

1.1 d

0.3 s

0.3 t

0.3 s

0.3 t

0.3 s

-------

2.6 s Drill

===============

DP,

That was 3.8 ish for 6 shots at 10 yards on drill that I'm guessing a GM ought be in the 2.5 range on, which is about 40% off the pace. I have a LOT of work to do. :o

Eric W. - sorry, I got corn-fused. I thought you said you ran a 4.96 TIME in the match not HF. My cold "in the match" run with irons was a 7.50 ish down 2. For about a 7.7 hf.

Once across @ 10y in standard runs about 2.5ish. Double that for a rough VP. My buddy Mike stepped up and ran a 5.04 VP Cold, but he was pretty happy with that run, and I'm not sure he could average that. He's probably a solid "M". Once I get my eye back I think a nice smooth average around 5.0 for VP would be pretty sporty. (man, I am I tired of qualifying everything with ....once I get my eye back.) <_<

My Draw and Load are slow with the new Open gun compared to my standard gear. Should be the other way around, but that grab IS different, and finding the dot is a new skill. Anyway, I Only have about 1500 total through an open gun, But at least with the open gun I can find something to aim with. I think I posted it already, but I stepped up behind his run, and ripped off a 4.51 VP. Like I said, he was happy ripping a 5.04 on this, but I was really happy to fall in a bucket of shite and come out with a 4.51 cold. He was on the next bay and heard it. "What was THAT?!?!" :huh: he yelled over.

The 4.25 I did after the match was a VP, but points were all over. It was almost dark, and we were just playing around.

I get about the same #'s you do. Figure a do-able 1.1 draw and load, and splits around .30, maybe a hair faster. 5.2 for VP.

I practice the "once across" version more than the VP, as I don't have much ammo for the open gun right now, and practice drawing to the R & L both. This is a tough work out.

Try it out at 15 or 20. It'll sure make your sphincter tingle.

• 1 month later...

Eric W - here's a few more, and more recent times.

I got out Friday in my first real practice session back and because it was soft sand I didn't do any reloads, just straight across in 6 shots from ten and fifteen.

I warmed up playing around with various drills and a draw test, then shot "The Partials". All these times are on amoebas and with Limited gear.

10y First four consecutive runs.

2.26 - 4 points .97 first shot. Right to Left.

2.15 - 1 point .99 first shot. Left to Right.

2.25 - 2 points 1.02 first shot. Left to Right.

2.29 - 1 point .99 first shot. Right to Left.

15y three consecutive runs, after hacking the first two badly.

2.81 - 1 point. 1.13 first shot. Right to Left.

2.83 - 0 points. 1.04 first shot. Left to Right.

2.86 - 0 points. 1.10 first shot. Right to Left.

Hypothetical Conclusions: it looks like at 10y a 4.50 would be do-able, and the clean sub 5.0 average I want, well within reach.

At 15y I seem to shoot cleaner, and only a little slower. I like that. Honestly I hacked the first two runs up badly then when I down shifted, these three in a row came out. It started getting dark and I decided to quit while I was ahead. ;)

Eyes ain't perfect yet, but they do seem to be on the mend. I will probably set this up with robothead US type targets and see if there's much difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I love this drill. Tough, but you can go fast if everything is wired up tight.

I like to use the array as warm up, shooting slow groups from 5,10,15,20 and 25y. Makes you really focus on a specific spot once you get back aways.

So I am just warming up and my buddy comes over. He jumps in and shots about ten runs on it, but was having a rough day.

I figure I had cooled down so wanted to see what my cold times were.

All runs were 6 shots and from Standard Gear.

Right out of the box I went 2.39 with an icky draw and a slight trigger freeze. But still really happy with that for a first run.

Next one I had a .92 first shot and my best run ever at 1.89 all alphas and a stinkin' DELTA!!! Hell, that's as fast as I shoot a "bill drill".

I ran it at 10y a few more times, and runs hovered around 2.15 although I did break 2.0 once or twice.

Then I backed up to 15 and finally 25. 15y runs were about like posted above, best in the high 2.60's and average around 2.85.

This is the first time I ever really paid attention to runs at 25y, and this drill is tough back there. Times hovered around 3.50 and when the timing was right and the focus was there the hits were right on top of each other. This might be my new favorite, the paritals at 25y.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

shot this cold for the first time in a LOOOOONG time...

10y on robot heads. VP, facing targets with a load.

6.09 down 1. 1.14 draw, 1.18 load.

then a 5.77 -3.

I've got some work to do to catch up to last year. <_<

After that I shot "once across" and got runs down to about 5.80 average. This ain't easy. :unsure:

I shot this at 12yds quite a few times today, and what I mostly notice is I'm 0.2 to 0.3 seconds slower drawing to either outside target than drawing to an open target.

Also, that center A - zone only target is a great place to see how different powders and loads affect dot movement.

I like this one.

I also notice that this is actually a tougher drill on USPSA "ROBOTHEAD" targets....

The Amoebas, when lined up like this, allow a wide wedge at the top, and the A-zone goes almost to the top, so you can run along the top with more room than through the squared A-zones of Robotheads.

Ok, excuses aside, I have slowed down some since I was practicing every day in South America. :unsure:

I'm thinking when I get to 2.5 nice and average that I'll be in a good spot. That center target is a LOT slower than the open wedge of Amoebas. I break 5.0 for a VP on this, I'll be pretty happy.

I like how this sharpens up your focus on the draw and if you want a decent VP you had better have a snappy load and get your eyes back to the right spot quick. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Ran this at various yardages today, on Metric targets (the "robothead"), shooting Open, holding a Master card...

25 yards - 3.82, 1.40 draw, down 1

15 yards - 2.85, 1.27 draw, down 1

10 yards - 2.28, 1.18 draw, down 2

10 yards - 2.05, 1.08 draw, down 4 (with a D)

7 yards - 2.18, 1.14 draw, down 1

3 yards - 1.89, 1.01 draw, clean

Is it?? Felt a little clunky at the longer ranges. I had a couple of other attempts at 7 and 3 yards where I just went flat out for giggles and tagged a couple no-shoots, but those were totally type 1 focus experimentation. I figured GM Open scores should be sub-2 at 10 yards and clean.... Hmmm... :)

• 6 months later...

Been a looooong while since I touched on this thread, but ZHunter and I hit this today towards the end of practice.

I don't shoot much at 10y anymore and have lost a little speed. Still Runs hovered around 2.4-2.7 at first and some quicker.

Now that I have read through my old times I'm gonna hit it again tomorrow and have something to compare to.

I did watch draw and load times, and they were the same going from a best of 1.0x to an average of about 1.20 for either draw or load.

I need to get back to it but I think a 5.0 VP with iron sights is still going to be pretty respectable.

I have no intention of jacking this thread or becoming confrontational, but I gotta say this ... "any man who works at it can average under .70" ????? I gotta disagree. There are some phenominal shooters out there who can get under .70, I really doubt anyone will even lay claim to AVERAGE that. I also doubt that there are more than a very small handful who have ever done a .70 while in control and seeing what is nessecary.

:huh: Wow, .70 and a zone. Well guys I'm 72 + years old and when I get "A" zones at 10 + yards in 1.50 I'm just thrilled. when I occasionally hit 1.25 I am just simply amazed!!!. :o Then you know how Old People and dogs are, it takes very little to amuse them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hit this one again on Saturday. Shot it w/ Classic targets at 15, 7, and 3 yards. Best runs were:

15 - 2.75 down 2, 1.29 draw

7 - 2.13 down 1, 1.10 draw

3 - 1.92 clean, 1.02 draw

Overall, pretty similar to the last time I ran this drill.... I agree w/ DP40, the Classics do give you a nice A-zone "pocket" at the top on the middle target to shoot A-zones... but... Metrics have a nice wide swath of A-zone that the dot just finds its way into, so... Seems like an even test, to me, between the two target types...

• 3 weeks later...

I have no intention of jacking this thread or becoming confrontational, but I gotta say this ... "any man who works at it can average under .70" ????? I gotta disagree. There are some phenominal shooters out there who can get under .70, I really doubt anyone will even lay claim to AVERAGE that. I also doubt that there are more than a very small handful who have ever done a .70 while in control and seeing what is nessecary.

:huh: Wow, .70 and a zone. Well guys I'm 72 + years old and when I get "A" zones at 10 + yards in 1.50 I'm just thrilled. when I occasionally hit 1.25 I am just simply amazed!!!. :o Then you know how Old People and dogs are, it takes very little to amuse them.

Don't sweat it, this guy and his times weren't real. You 1.5 avg for a 10y A is plenty respectable.

Back to topic, I can't wait to get practicing agian, I miss the confidence this thing gave me when I worked it at 15+.....