Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Thomas H

Change in allowed actions at Safe Area?

I shot a sanctioned state championship match this past weekend. While in the safe area, I was practicing my draw from concealment a few times to make sure I had the holster placement correct and my vest was wasn't binding in some weird way.

When I stepped out of the safe area, a man came up to me, introduced himself as the SOI for the area, and informed me that safe areas weren't to be used to practice draws. I was rather dumbfounded, and said something along the lines of "but that is part of what they are FOR" and he said that IDPA has put out a rules clarification saying that people weren't supposed to be practicing draws in the safe area.

I asked about where this came from to make sure that this wasn't a "local rule," and he again said this was from Joyce, that an email was sent. When I said I hadn't heard anything about it ever, he said it was sent a couple of months ago, due to "problems" with people practicing draws in the safe area,

Considering he was going to be ROing one of the stages of the match, I wasn't interested in getting into an argument with him. So I let it go, and told him I'd really appreciate seeing that email or rules clarification, then walked off.

Rule 2.10.2, regarding Safe Areas, specifically says:

"2.10.2 Unloaded firearms may be handled at any time. This area is used for bagging or un-bagging a firearm, holstering, drawing, dry firing, or equipment adjustment."

In addition, I downloaded the spreadsheet of all rules clarifications from the IDPA website, and there is no mention whatsoever regarding drawing or dryfire in a Safe Area.

Has anyone gotten an email or heard in any fashion anything that supports that individual's contention that drawing and dryfiring in a safe area is going to be disallowed?

Because it sounded like nonsense to me, completely against what the rules say, and I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything similar at all.

That's the first I ever heard anything like that. Unable to locate any addendum to the current rule book. So I'm thinking he was just full of crap.

The entire "I've got an email from Joyce" or Robert Ray or the Pope or whatever is total BS and should stop.

Just ask him to show you the rule and go about your day. Not worth fighting about

He probably had "reload practice" confused with "draw practice"...and I've never gotten an email from Joyce...I feel ignored.

Edited by robport

Even reload practice is allowed by that sentence. After all isn't reload practice part of your dry fire routine?

Was he in the same division and class as you?

I looked him up, and believe me when I say that even though we were indeed in the same division, there was no actual competition between us.

Just ask him to show you the rule and go about your day. Not worth fighting about

This is IDPA. They don't have to show a rule. (I wish that wasn't true, but it is. So many things are subjective from the rulebook, plus the "local rules are okay also" bit, so it means that if a match official says so, while you can argue, they often can and will still ding you for things that they don't like.)

Even reload practice is allowed by that sentence. After all isn't reload practice part of your dry fire routine?

2.10.7 Reload practice within the Safe Area is not allowed. An empty magazine may be inserted into a firearm to test functionality or to drop the hammer on a firearm with a magazine disconnect, but reload practice is prohibited.

Don't do reload practice. :)

....thanks folks. I didn't know if there was an extra-special SOI or SO mailing list (hm, I'd actually be ON that second list) that got "rules updates" that no one else got.

At the time I told him I'd really be interested in seeing that email of his, so I think I'll contact him and ask him about it---because since he IS the SOI for that area, we don't want him teaching this to other people.

Was he in the same division and class as you?

I looked him up, and believe me when I say that even though we were indeed in the same division, there was no actual competition between us.

This is IDPA. They don't have to show a rule. (I wish that wasn't true, but it is. So many things are subjective from the rulebook, plus the "local rules are okay also" bit, so it means that if a match official says so, while you can argue, they often can and will still ding you for things that they don't like.)

2.10.7 Reload practice within the Safe Area is not allowed. An empty magazine may be inserted into a firearm to test functionality or to drop the hammer on a firearm with a magazine disconnect, but reload practice is prohibited.

Don't do reload practice. :)

....thanks folks. I didn't know if there was an extra-special SOI or SO mailing list (hm, I'd actually be ON that second list) that got "rules updates" that no one else got.

At the time I told him I'd really be interested in seeing that email of his, so I think I'll contact him and ask him about it---because since he IS the SOI for that area, we don't want him teaching this to other people.

SOs are like Judges.......they are GOD In their courtroom/Bay.