Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used JP CTR-02....Good Deal?

BC27

Ok, so I went back to look at the brake and it's pretty worn. I'm guessing at least 10k rounds, probably more. The baffles are getting pretty thin. At this point, I was thinking I'd walk away. I explained my concerns and they lowered the price another $150 making the total $1,725. Worst case, it needs a new barrel but it would still be about $500 to $600 less than a new one so I bought the rifle with the mindset that the barrel will need to be replaced. If it shoots well, that's just a bonus.

So when I got home, I did a extensive cleaning (especially the barrel). Holy crap was it dirty. There was so much copper fouling, it was ridiculous. I really don't know if I got it all out but I think I got most of it. The previous owner did not take good care of it so I'm not expecting much accuracy. I'll try it out tomorrow and see what happens. Normally, I wouldn't buy a gun that was beat up like this but it's a 3 Gun rifle that will be chucked in the barrels so it's inevitable.

Just got back. Ok, I only had 3 types of ammo to try today. Wolf Gold 55gn, CBC (Magtech) OTM 77gn and Federal GMM 69gn SMK. I shot off a Bipod and makeshift bag for the rear. I had several boxes of the Wolf Gold but only 1 box each of the CBC and Federal so I was very limited on how may groups I could shoot. Distance was 100 yards and there was about a 5mph breeze so the conditions were not perfect but pretty good.

image_zpsaexupshy.jpeg

First up was the Wolf Gold. I zeroed with this ammo and it nearly shot 1 MOA with it (1.162") my LMT gets about 3 MOA with it. I think a better shooter could probably get 1 MOA or better. So at this point, I'm relieved that the barrel seems decent and that I probably don't need s new one after all.

image_zpsu9nnwrj8.jpeg

Edited by BC27

Next was the CBC 77gn and what happened next made my jaw drop. I shot a .5 MOA group followed by a .4 MOA group. Keep in mind, I'm not a great bench shooter. Not bad, maybe average. This would have been the best I could have hoped for with a brand new barrel so I was not expecting this out of what I thought was a worn out one.

image_zpsfydr3ven.jpeg

At this point, the barrel had time to cool a bit between groups and I know that when worn out or bad barrels get hot, POI and accuracy can change. So I decided to do a mag dump followed immediate with a 5 shot group. I loaded up one magazine with Wolf Gold and had 5 rounds of CBC in another magazine ready to go. After emptying the Wolf Gold mag, I quickly swapped mags and shot a .810 MOA group. Pretty good but my heart was racing from the mag dump so I did it one more time and shot a .567 MOA group. POI was exactly the same so this barrel shoots!

First Post mag dump group:

image_zpsuoifv07e.jpeg

Second Post mag dump group:

image_zpsnspvklnw.jpeg

I was pretty much ready to call it a day but I decided to shoot the Federal 69gn while I was out and it shot .632 MOA. I know I could do better if I put more effort into it but I didn't even care anymore because of how well this gun shoots. Like I mentioned earlier, I think this barrel has over 10k rounds though it. Probably closer to 15k so for it to shoot this well is beyond me. I guess it's a testament to the quality of JP industries products. You get what you pay for.

image_zpssktb1bxd.jpeg

I'm really curious how this would shoot in one of those sleds or what a good shooter and the right ammo could do. For now, it's safe to say, I have a sub 1/2 MOA gun! I'm beyond surprised. Thanks for all the helpful input you all provided!!!

Well there ya go. I had no doubt. Glad it turned out the way it did and that you are excited and happy with your new JP rifle.

I honestly had a lot of doubts because how worn it looked but now I know why JP has the reputation that they do. Thank you, I'm really looking forward to my next 3 Gun match now.

I think that will be different for each person.

For me, it is brake down the rifle to basically parts. I start with the barrel using a good copper remover and let it soak while I clean the buffer tube, then the fire control group, and then the BCG. I have a good carbon scraper to get the inside of the bolt carrier free if build up.

Once that is all done, I patch out the copper solvent and then run a brush with some bore cleaner and finish with a few dry patches. Last I chuck up a bronze brush in my cordless drill and work over the comp.

Oil everything up and reassemble.

Curious, can you share the details of the "extensive cleaning" procedure?

Sure, but it's nothing special. Everyone has their own method but pertaining to the barrel but this is what I do for when it's really dirty. I start by rolling up a piece of a paper towel and sticking it though the baffles of the muzzle brake (this is to catch and absorb the solvent). With the muzzle brake pointing down and the camber up, I spray a generous amount of Hoppe's #9 down the camber, though the barrel (I use a little spay bottle). Enough that it extra pours out the barrel and is caught by the paper towel. I'll lay it down and just let it soak for 15 minutes while I clean the BCG. After about 15min I'll run a patch to clear out the loose particles, then run a bronze bore brush though a couple times to break up the carbon and copper. This is followed by another patch to clear the loose stuff and then the bronze brush again. Basically, I scrub, then wipe with a patch so that I'm not just scrubbing the particles around. I like to flush them out and scrub and repeat as needed. You'll be able to see the patches coming out with less and less crap until you're satisfied. When I think it's clean, I run a patch with a thin layer of oil and I'm done. That's basically how I do it and I'm sure there are plenty of people that will say it's wrong but it works for me.