Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered a 1050

So I've been reloading for a while now using my Hornady LNL AP with a Mr. Bullet Feeder. I recently got back into shooting USPSA matches and average two matches a week. My Hornady press was great and has served me well but after figuring out how many rounds I am shooting a month (1200-1600) and time I need to spend with my family and not in the shop reloading I decided to pick up another press. I ordered a 1050 this morning but am already having buyers remorse. I was looking at a 650 XL but I also wanted to prep my .223 and 300 bllk brass on the press. The rounds per hour is what sold me which from what I found is around 1000. So I should be able to load all the rounds I need for a month in an hr so I have more time with the family.

I'm not to concerned about the caliber changes as I will be running 9mm primarily and only switching over to process brass as needed. I will also be keeping my Hornady to load my 223, 300 blk, and 45 ACP ammo which I don't shoot as much but the bullet feeder is going on the 1050.

I'm just hoping I made the right decision. Do y'all have any thoughts on this and should I cancel my order and switch to a 650.

I too just ordered a 1050.

My goal is to increase my shooting to about 800-1000 per week. Now I'm shooting about 400.

Gonna sell my 550. And dedicate my 650 to .45 acp. The 1050 will be 9mm only.

IMHO which isn't worth much ive never reloaded on a 1050 but from what I've read the major advantage to the 1050 is on press swaging and you can now do that with the 650(yes it will void the warranty

http://m.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Swage-It-Dillon-XL650-Primer-Pocket-Swager-Large-Small-Primer-/231690737402?nav=SEARCH

If you ever want to automate the press in the future the 1050 is the only choice....and once you pimp Out the 650 wich is inevitable strong mount roller handle case feeder eBay fixes ect....your getting pretty close to a 1050 price anyway but caliper changes will still be much more expensive.

And if you didn't order a rf100 or vibraprime do so because it will save lots of time

Edited by Smeeg

I have both a 1050 and a 650. I used the 650 for many years, but after a back injury, priming on the upstroke was hard on my back. Using the 1050, I can't even feel the priming operation (on the downstroke) and reloading is not tiring at all. If I was younger, a 650 would serve my needs, but after having used a 1050, I would not go back! I currently size/trim rifle brass on my 650 and reload calibers I shoot only rarely. Loading .223 on the 1050 and not having to worry about crimped primer pockets is also very convenient. (Since the toolheads for the 1050 are fairly expensive, I only load .223 on the 1050 and process on the 650.) My recommendation would be to keep the 1050, sell the LNL, and buy a 650 to use for less commonly reloaded calibers.

Edited by olemiss

My recommendation would be to keep the 1050, sell the LNL, and buy a 650 to use for less commonly reloaded calibers.

That would be mine too. I use the 1050's where caliber change is not required, all other needs are covered by two 650-s: one with small, one with large primers.

I was in the same boat, started reloading with a Hornady but I honestly spent more time trying to get the press to run perfect then I spent loading. I am not bashing Hornady I just had some issues with my case feeder jamming or dropping flipped cases. I only reloaded 9mm with the case feeder but never could get it all to run smooth. I won't go into the rest of the little issues I was having but decided to make the switch to a 1050, I wish I would of done it years ago.

Now my 1050 wasn't without its own issue but once that was taken care of not a single issue. I can walk in with a handful of primer tubes and be done in less then a hour. The first batch of loading I had problems with it smearing primers and smashing primers. I did a little research on the great Enos forum and with a little work problem solved. I cleaned and polished the primer slide and all the parts in the area and it solved the problem. I reloaded about 500 rounds yesterday using federal primers without a single issue, I couldn't be happier.

My only problem now is that I spend more time loading primers in the tubes then I do reloading, so now I will have to buy a primer loader and a bullet feeder to free up even more time ?. I just wish I would of done this years ago, the Hornady served me well to start and the 1000 free .45's I got when I bought it was the major push for me to buy it. I learned a lot about reloading, while working on making it run smoother so I am thankful for that.

Now I just make sure the powder and primers are full, set a bullet pull the handle, set a bullet and pull the handle. Life is a lot easier with the 1050 and I love it. The time with your family with be greatly increased with the 1050 so don't even give it a second thought.

I have loaded on a 650 and a 1050 by hand and automated. Once you get the bugs worked out of the 1050 it will work wonderfull and reliable I load 50k or more a year on mine and would never go with another press

I have loaded on SDB, 550 and now I have a Mark 7 equiped 1050 which has saved my shoulder (sucks getting old). Do not regret your 1050 purchase.

The one problem (if you can call it that) is you will be able to load more. Which will cost you more in components. Pick up a FA vibra prime or the Dillon and a dozen primer tubes. Spend a few minutes loading the tubes and an hour loading then the rest of the evening with the family.

woof

• 2 weeks later...

Once you've set up your 1050 to run smoothly and all adjustments made, you will never regret getting one. Caliber changes are no longer as daunting for me as I thought they would be. 10 minutes and I'm good to go. (with dedicated toolheads of course.) Caliber swaps are expensive for sure. Buy once cry once. For processing 556 and 308 brass they are a god send.

I of course went full retard and got a 1050 for small primer stuff and and 1050 for large primers. And an RF100 for each. I load enough for 6 months of shooting all my calibers in one evening. A real pleasure once set up.

Edited by chrishoesel

I replaced two LNL's with 1050's (one large and one small primer) and my only regret was not doing it earlier.

As mentioned in a prior post, primer seating is smooth as silk.

One press has been automated with a Mk 7 Pro. I've been too chicken to run rounds at the fully rated 2,400 rounds an hour, but if you really want to save time, once you have the press running, put an auto drive on. 1,800 rounds an hour and having to do no more than drop cases, primers, powder and bullets in? Awesome!

Drop back in after a few hundred rounds and let us know what you think. Have a sneaking suspicion your buyers remorse will be gone and you'll be looking to replace that LNL.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3 big questions for me are:

how important is primer pocket swaging to you for the 223 processing (and for pistol loading) and do you plan to run a trimmer on the 223 processing head?

- If so then the 1050 is probably the better choice as you can trim and swage on the press in one pass, then load on the hornady if you wish. Theoretically you can trim and swage 223 on the 650 too *using an aftermarket swager* but the 1050 is the better processing machine.

second question, how much 223 are you planning on processing? If it's not a great deal you may be better off having someone else do it on an automated machine, or do it on a 650. especially if your 223 is not mil crimped brass. or even consider trading/selling the crimped brass and buy/trade prepped 223.

third question, are you planning (now or in the future) to automate the press with a drive system?

If none of those situations apply then probably the 650 is the way to go. Calibre conversions are much cheaper (by a couple hundred $) and faster to change.

The 650 is a fair bit cheaper than the 1050. You could have a 650 setup with case and bullet feeder for similar money as just the 1050 press. There really is no appreciable speed difference between a well setup 650 and a 1050 if both are equipped with case and bullet feeder. The small speed advantaged the 1050 has in that point in speed is faster to prime (need to slow down more on the 650) and perhaps better reliability though my 650 runs many thousands between any kind of press caused issue.

The other pro to the 650 is the lifetime warranty. You forgo that on a 1050 and it's value should not be underestimated. Any 1050 owner will tell you that if you load or process in any kind of volume there are wear parts and consumables on the press that will need to be periodically replaced. They are not cheap. That doesn't account of any booboos that cause a breakage either. Those mistakes will cost $ too. The 650 will never require you to shell out $ for a broken or worn out part. An email to dillon with an explanation of the issue (and perhaps picture of the part) and a no cost replacement is generally on it's way.

The big advantages the 1050 has over the 650 are really the priming on the upstroke (of the ram), the swaging station (again only an advantage if you need it) and the availability of auto-drive systems for the high volume loader.

If those 3 items are deal breakers then you need the 1050. If not the 650 may be a better option. It'll basically be a more reliable version of your hornady LNL.

If you put the mr Bullet feeder on your 650 it will easily do 1000 an hour too. that's 6min per hundred which is a cake walk on a well running 650 with Mr BF.

Any 1050 owner will tell you that if you load or process in any kind of volume there are wear parts and consumables on the press that will need to be periodically replaced. They are not cheap. That doesn't account of any booboos that cause a breakage either. Those mistakes will cost $ too.

What parts would those be? Ive never replaced anything I would remotely call "expensive" on either of my 1050's. Before I sold my Forcht 1050 I replaced a bunch of advance pawls as they are basically the "fuse" in the system. The are like $1.xx. Only other thing I replaced on that machine was a main spring that got munched when the guide rod fell out of the tool head which Dillon claimed "should never happen", but then I found out they had a batch of under-sized pins and I must have gotten one. 2 free springs(replacement and a spare) from Dillon and a replacement pin to install. Also I replaced a swage rod that wore out after ~25k rounds. Never replaced anything else on that machine in ~40-50k rounds that I can remember.

My current 1050 that I load on has ~40k rounds on it and I JUST replaced the blue primer magazine tip, of which Dillon sent me 3 for free. I also am in desperate need of a main spring, but I think I am going to upgrade to the Level 10 spring kit.

I wouldnt call the 1050 a parts muncher or expensive to maintain at all. It does have a few parts(the advance pawl) that if you break one and dont have a back up you are down for a week until you get a replacement from Dillon.

I have both the 650 and the 1050.

The 1050 is a far superior machine in my opinion. At the moment I'm loading 9mm on both and the 1050 gives me less problems. The case feed station is far better, the primer seating is far better, and the swagging is great. No worries about crimped brass. The 1050 is more but to me is worth it. I believe it's also more consistent in OAL.

I don't plan on changing out calibers. The 650 will be switched over to .45 acp and maybe others. . I saved up and bought them. Yeah it's a lot of money but together they still cost about half what a bad arse four wheeler would have cost. That's how I justify it.

Going for the 1050 for loading 9mm. I also have 2 Hornady LNL which I will keep for 223 and 45ACP loading.

I do want to use the 1050 to deprime and swage my 223 brass. Does anyone know what extra parts I would need just to run my 223 brass thru the 1050? I dont need a full caliber conversion, but not sure if i need a new shell plate or if I can use the 9mm shellplate?

Figure some one must be running a similar setup.

don"t look back you made the right choice. i had a 650 and upgraded to the 1050.

1050 flies and the swaging for 9mm cannot be beat.

enjoy and do not look back.

if you have a bullet feeder you will be done loading in a hour or so

LawDog64, have you received your 1050 yet? If so, how's it going so far?

Chris777, take a close look at the 1050 caliber conversion kits. You probably already know this, but each caliber conversion kit includes everything your machine needs to process that caliber except the dies. I wish I had a link to it, but somewhere out there on the 'net is a database that allows you to say, "ok, I have x caliber currently on my 1050. Exactly what parts do I need to use y caliber?" This prevents you from getting duplicate shell plates, etc. by buying complete caliber conversion kits, and instead buying only the exact pieces you need. Keep in mind, though, that there is a substantial price break for buying a complete caliber conversion kit over buying the pieces individually.