Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you practice and shoot matches?

CJDOUBLETAP

Can everyone thats posted edit your post with your current class and how long you have been shooting that class/division?  Would be interested to see the correlation in actual practice vs performance.  

I started shooting USPSA in October of last year.  My dry fire/live fire was sporadic at best.  For the past two months I have been consistent and my new routine is:

1 hour dry fire every morning.  If something happens I make it up in the evening.   I run Steve Andersons drills for a few weeks then switch to Bens drills for a few weeks.  
1 live fire session a week if I can.  
2-3 matches a month.
Taken 2 classes with Ben this year.  

Currently at 59% in limited having shot 7 classifiers.  Before I was training consistently I was shooting 40's and 50's in classifiers.  Since getting serious I recently shot an 80% classifier.

Edited by CrashDodson

I shot my first USPSA match in sept of 2014. First 6 months or started off slow then really got into dry fire. Initial classification was Production B. About 2-3 15-20 min dryfire sessions per week and 1-2 live fire sessions (250-300rnds). I also shot about a local every weekend unless there was a major, and I shot 10 majors total in 2015. Made A class in sept 2015.

Continued live fire, local matches, and majors this year- had some issues keeping up with dryfire. Same pace for majors and made Master at the July update. Considerable match improvement (from 283rd to 61st at SS nationals and 115ish to 61st at Prod nationals).

I can definitely tell that my game picks up when I put the time in to dryfire. I KNOW I need to do it more, but keeping up with 3 kids makes it tough to be able to shoot as much as I do and keep up with at home training. It can be done, I just tend to lack the motivation. Here's hoping that changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I've been shooting for about 1.5 years

b-class open

I don't really practice or dry fire much lately. I would do around 30min a day when I first started to get a solid foundation in the basics.

I shoot 3-4 local matches a month so I'm shooting most weekends.

• 3 weeks later...

Dry fire for 15  minutes two days a week.  Mentally fire feeling all there is  to the gun and the shot without picking up the gun, every day for about 1 hour. 

Around 300-350 rounds per week every Friday.  If time permits I add 100 rounds of .22s.

Only one match each month for now.  Hard for me to get to the range without a special friend driving me.

Practice? Whats that?

In all seriousness, this year and most of last I've taper off a lot of my shooting. A few years ago I was dry-firing 3-4 days a week, hopefully 1 live fire practice night a week then 2-3 matches a month. The past couple years its been 1-2 monthly matches which were used like "practice" for Majors. This year, I didn't even shoot any Majors.

6 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Dry fire for 15  minutes two days a week.  Mentally fire feeling all there is  to the gun and the shot without picking up the gun, every day for about 1 hour. 

Can you explain more about this mental thing your doing?

Sure:

I imagine every feel of shooting,  The way the gun fits in my hand, The way I take up the trigger.  Holding and maintaining my sight picture on the target and following through,  Sometimes, In My Mind, I can even see the muzzle flash as the shot breaks. 

I pay attention to every little detail and run stages in my mind.  I break down each of the Steel Challenge stages and remember what's it's like to load my gun, holster it, take a breath and draw my gun.  I can then see my sight on target 1, break the shot and go on.

The best book I've read that explains this better than I can is Psycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.  You can still get the original 1960 publications through Amazon.  The original is the best because it really goes into detail on how to practice in your mind.

Hope this helps.