Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Bullet sense sensor

So I got the bullet sensor hooked up and it works pretty well.  Also the software/firmware update seemed to smooth indexing considerabely . I was loading 9 major at a 1631 rounds per hour rate with an index speed of 0 and a top dwell of 1.  

One issue that i noticed is that it seems that the sensor lets the down cycle of the press start if the bullet is in the correct position, if the bullet topples or falls off the case after the cycle starts the press will continue until the digital clutch stops it.  I only discovered this because I kept turning the rpms up to get a bullet to topple to see how this thing works.  

This sensor is a very cool piece of engineering.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple hundred and rounds on it now...needs a little minor tweaking, doesn't always trigger, may have it set a little too low.  Overall function is good and setup was relatively easy with the exception of the firmware updates (needed two of them) and it was not fun on the crappy android tablet especially after I managed to slip the sd card in between the case of the tablet rather than it going into the reader...

it was not fun on the crappy android tablet especially after I managed to slip the sd card in between the case of the tablet rather than it going into the reader...

I thought I was the only one that had managed to do that... at least the tablet is easy to get apart to retrieve the SD card!

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

That laser has to be as high as possible on the bullet. There should be a halo right around the hole that the laser would go into if the bullet wasn’t there. The halo is right on the edge of the hole. . 

• 3 months later...

Can the bullet sensor detect 2 bullets stacked on top of each other? I have the issue if a bullet gets turn up side down in the MBF then when it drops I get a "double" feed. in this case will the Jam sense catch it or will it just force the S.O.B in and keep running?

12 minutes ago, americanbrosinarms said:

Can the bullet sensor detect 2 bullets stacked on top of each other? I have the issue if a bullet gets turn up side down in the MBF then when it drops I get a "double" feed. in this case will the Jam sense catch it or will it just force the S.O.B in and keep running?

If they stay stable in the seating station, no. The bulletin sense bounces a beam across the press. If it is broken, it assumes there is a bulletin in place, if not the bullet is either missing or upside down.

Jam sense? Really depends on your powder load. I could see a scenario with light bullets, a light powder load and a high clutch setting where it might jam it all in, but it’s unlikely. I would assume the bullet sense would catch it first, but the rounds likely compressed and toast anyway.

That all said, there is an easy fix.

Do a quick search for rubber band fix. It is a common problem and fortunately is easy, cheap and quick to fix - just loop a rubber band around the die and the sliding portion if the MBF die. 

Had the exact same problem and that solved it.

M

17 minutes ago, Want2BS8ed said:

...oh and readjust the MBF to fix the flipped bullets.

What kind of bullets are you running?

I had to rig a spring up to stop it from dropping 2 at a time even if the bullets were oriented in the correct direction. I have might have to fine tune the MBF a little more it doesn't happen a ton but enough that it would be concern to me.

I am running 180 gr RNFP Blue Bullets with 4.8 grains of powder. I think it would be pretty hard to seat 2 in the same case but I don't have a Mark 7 as of now so I guess I am not sure if the digital clutch would catch it when it is set with enough force to resize reliably. (What I was referring to as Jam Sense idk where I got that from lol).

I had to rig a spring up to stop it from dropping 2 at a time even if the bullets were oriented in the correct direction. I have might have to fine tune the MBF a little more it doesn't happen a ton but enough that it would be concern to me.

I am running 180 gr RNFP Blue Bullets with 4.8 grains of powder. I think it would be pretty hard to seat 2 in the same case but I don't have a Mark 7 as of now so I guess I am not sure if the digital clutch would catch it when it is set with enough force to resize reliably. (What I was referring to as Jam Sense idk where I got that from lol).

Have you tried moving the bearings to different holes? I get 2 Bullets drop occasionally, but the top one has never made it to the seating station, it falls off during indexing. Depending on your clutch setting, it probably would stop the machine if two bullets were stacked in the seater. I run at clutch at 3 for 40 with case lube.

Have you tried moving the bearings to different holes? I get 2 Bullets drop occasionally, but the top one has never made it to the seating station, it falls off during indexing. Depending on your clutch setting, it probably would stop the machine if two bullets were stacked in the seater. I run at clutch at 3 for 40 with case lube.

I haven't tried that yet I will switch that around this am and see if it makes a difference

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

That's been my experience as well and FWIW I'm using the same clutch setting on lubed 9mm.

Recently started running .223 on the press with a clutch setting of 12.

That's been my experience as well and FWIW I'm using the same clutch setting on lubed 9mm.

Recently started running .223 on the press with a clutch setting of 12.

Kinda strange, as I have to use 5 for 9mm. And 4or 5 for .223, sizing/trimming.

15 hours ago, zen_grasshopper said:

Currently waiting for Mark 7 to ship my BulletSense.  Says in stock but it has been several days since ordering, was hoping to have it by this weekend, but not looking good.  

Spoke with them today they said probably 15 days till they get any. 

Interesting... what are you using for lubrication?

Dillons lube for rifle. A Generous amount.
Brass Juice for pistol. I like it better than One Shot.
have some rifle Brass Juice that I have yet to try.

Dillons lube for rifle. A Generous amount.
Brass Juice for pistol. I like it better than One Shot.
have some rifle Brass Juice that I have yet to try.

Thanks cvincent. Appreciate the input.

Have been a longtime fan of One Shot for pistol, but have been pondering a change for rifle now that I am processing in bulk.