Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I get into A class?

BGREID

So I am a Limited B class shooter who places among the A and Master class shooters at matches. Stuff just happens at the classifier stages. Short courses are not my thing. So what is the best thing I can do to move into A Class?

Yep, dry fire. Make your gun handling as subconscious as possible. Reloads should just happen (quickly), draws should be fast and index right where you intend, your trigger press shouldn't disturb the sight picture.

Edit: Also practice SHO and WHO, as those tend to show up quite a bit in classifiers.

Edited by TennJeep1618

So I am a Limited B class shooter who places among the A and Master class shooters at matches. Stuff just happens at the classifier stages. Short courses are not my thing. So what is the best thing I can do to move into A Class?

get a match bump.

What is that?

Yep, dry fire. Make your gun handling as subconscious as possible. Reloads should just happen (quickly), draws should be fast and index right where you intend, your trigger press shouldn't disturb the sight picture.

Edit: Also practice SHO and WHO, as those tend to show up quite a bit in classifiers.

Dry fire is good, missing is not the problem. If I get one Mike or no shoot in a match I had a bad day.

From the USPSA FAQ page (http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-faq-details.php)

"In addition, if the competitor shoots an Area Championship or major tournament and wins first or second in a class higher than his or her current classification, the member may be promoted to that higher class, except for Grand Master."

I'm not looking for a shortcut. I was just wondering what you guys did to improve your classifier scores.

"In addition, if the competitor shoots an Area Championship or major tournament and wins first or second in a class higher than his or her current classification, the member may be promoted to that higher class, except for Grand Master."

I'm not looking for a shortcut. I was just wondering what you guys did to improve your classifier scores.

a match bump is better than one just shooting classifers IMHO. you can train to shoot the classifers all day long and then do good on them. when you get a match bump you are shooting against all the A and M that you say you are beating . if its true then you have earned the match bump. unless you shoot a big match you really don't know how good you really are against the area or nation. you might be hot stuff in your area, but go to an national match and you may find out you are not really that great

Yep, dry fire.

If I get one Mike or no shoot in a match I had a bad day.

Is the one Mike or NS a match usually in the Classifier?

Usually no, but if my gun or ammo FTF it happens at the classifier. Maybe my draw is to slow, I have upgraded my gun and holster this week. We will see if it helps tomorrow.

Sounds like your biggest enemy is FTF.

That should be corrected before you go any further - no sense doing

everything else correctly, and lose your A to a FTF. :)

I concur this week I got an Edge and a new holster to go with it, also I replaced my mag springs and followers with grams. So far things have been working well.

When I bought my first OPEN gun (TruBor) it seemed like every time I had a long

COF, I would be doing pretty well, and BAM - FTF.

Really took a lot of the fun out of it ...

Found it was one of my mags causing all the problems, and POW - now I'm

a 71 year old GM :( In my dreams - I'm still only a B, but having much

more fun :)

Dry fire.

Dry fire .. a lot

Yep, dry fire.

Stand-and-shoot is the weakest part of your game. I know, because I'm in the same boat... usually finish with A's and M's at matches, but after 3 years away from shooting I plugged a noshoot in my first classifier, and shot 50% C's and D's on the second.

On a related note, I've been dry-firing 4 nights a week since the last match. 8 targets on a wall, 5 steel and 3 paper. Doing every concieveable challenging thing that I've done wrong in a classifier. That second one with all the bad hits was 1 round per target, reload, and repeat. You can bet I'm dry-firing 1 round and transitioning on a lot of paper.

Make stand-and-shoot / SHO / WHO / standing draws / reloads your strengths. Not your weaknesses.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Study your times in detail and find your weakness - mine is reloads. I'm a B class and I can shoot on par with the times that Ben Stoeger lists for GM's, except when it comes to reloads. That's my low hanging fruit that is getting a LOT of work these days.

• 4 weeks later...

I got match bumped in Limited and Production...felt very good about moving to A that way. 

My classifier percentages finally caught up when I started practicing classifier type of stages...a lot.  Every practice session I would set up targets the same distance apart (with or with out no shoots) about 7-10 yards away.  My classifiers slowly crept up.  I still shoot classifiers slower than the guys I finish with at matches though.

2 hours ago, drmweaver2 said:

Sorry...noob here...

What does "got match bumped" mean?

This...

On 16 July 2016 at 1:15 AM, TennJeep1618 said:

Off topic but I shoot IPSC outside of the USA and the only way we can get a GM grading is to shoot a 95%+ at a national championship.  

Re-grading in general is primarily based on performance at level 3 and above matches subject to certain criteria being met. 

Think about the type of classifiers you club usually shoots. 

Classifiers use to rely heavily on speed so draws and reloads seem to be the ticket.  However more and more classifiers are using hard cover and no shoots.

So now do you slow down and get the points or speed and go for less points?

Do the math on recent classifiers at your club and what it takes to advance one class. 

If you practice hero to zero technique--you are training your sub -conscious mind also.  So whats to prevent that from being used in a match?

Max Michel says you need to be able to hit the A zone on demand.  So go for points on the difficult ones and speed freak it on the speed drills.  Dry fire draws, reloads and transitions. 

If you save .2 seconds on your draw and reload =.4 seconds but reduce your transitions (and splits) by .075 on on 14 shots = 1.05 seconds.