Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some eye dominance tips

kmaultsby

First let me tell you what's going on. First I am right-handed left eye dominant, but I see better out of my right eye so what happens is my right eye will lock on to the front sight, especially with fiber optic front sights, but when I transition from target to target I get the double vision, and sometimes my left eye try's to take over. Should I just try to maybe close my left eye a little to help me lock into the front sight? Any practice tips? IDPA and soon USPA shooter.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I've tried both eyes open which was problematic under stress, and tape on the left lens which made reloads more difficult. Now I just close my left eye, and open it for movement and reloads.

After a year of that, my right eye is becoming more dominant - I randomly use either eye on dominance tests now. Although, trying to use my left eye on WHO screwed me up for awhile again.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I've tried both eyes open which was problematic under stress, and tape on the left lens which made reloads more difficult. Now I just close my left eye, and open it for movement and reloads.

After a year of that, my right eye is becoming more dominant - I randomly use either eye on dominance tests now. Although, trying to use my left eye on WHO screwed me up for awhile again.

This is exactly what I do. I would avoid using the left eye on WHO. Just cant the gun slightly toward the right.

Try a slight head turn to the left with both eyes open. Science has proven if you close or squint one eye it causes stress on the other eye. Only options are turn head left or scotch tape on left lense.

I'm cross eye dominate, right handed, left eye dominate. I simply bring the gun up to my left eye. I'm not sure about eye dominance switching during a COF but when I shoot rifle I obviously have to use my right eye in order to shoot right handed. In this instance I either close my left eye or just partially close it enough for my right eye to take over. The main difference between you and I is that my right eye has some issues and my left is perfectly fine so it naturally takes over as the dominant eye.

When I saw an eye doctor and started wearing a contact is my right eye it helped my shooting with a rifle and shotgun. My left eye is still dominant though. Might be worth seeing an eye doctor over. If you can get your left eye sight on track with your right eye maybe it wont switch up on you during a COF.

I am also left eye dominant, right handed. For over 20 years I shot using my left eye and right hand, used a slightly more aggressive stance bringing the pistol across to line up with my left eye. Then I developed a cataract in my left eye that resulted in blurry vision out of that eye. I changed my shooting to right eye, which involved changing and relearning my stance. I try to shoot with my left eye closed and open it to move, etc. once in a while, however, especially when coming into and shooting left around a barricade, my left eye takes over, and instead of seeing a dot superimposed on a target, I see the left side of my pistol. Disconcerting to say the least. Then I must make a conscious effort to close my left eye. Maybe at some point it will become automatic, but at 69 it's taking longer than I'd like. Been over 5 years now.