Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A different kind of journey

drmweaver2

Finally got back out to the indoor range. Only shot 200 rounds, but it felt good to actually be firing LIVE rounds as opposed to pulling the trigger on the no-recoil SIRT. Granted it was just with my M&P .22LR pistol, but there's nothing like the stink of burnt gunpowder to make you KNOW you're actually shooting as opposed to just playing around.

Today's excursion was more about testing new ammo with that pistol than actually concentrating on the mechanics of shooting - which is EXACTLY WRONG, I know. I switched to CCI Standard Velocity and Federal Premium Match Gold Medal (100 of each type) for today's shoot. I should have just been noting any misfires, misfeeds or other issues and concentrated on my shooting technique. But I'd had such problems with the pistol and Remington rounds I had been shooting that I had little to no confidence that the pistol would even function in a consistent manner. It was REALLY NICE to be able to pull the trigger and not have any real issues.

So, here's where I stand as a fairly new shooter. Total rounds downrange in the last 30 years now stand at ~1300; this year @ ~1100. So, you see, I actually am "starting over".

Today's results:

8-1-2016%20with%20MampP%2022LR%20pistol.

The rounds in the #4 target area are from my last session using Remington rounds (when they weren't causing me problems).

The rest of the holes are from today, shooting at 7 and 10 yards - single shots starting from low ready. One shot, recover to low ready, deep breath or two and then repeat until magazine is empty. The mags were loaded to 12 rounds each time. Reload, rinse, repeat.

As you can see, nothing great shakes about my shooting. But now I've regained some of my confidence about the pistol back. Between it and the LASR/SIRT work at home, I think I am now "back on track" practice-wise.

The LASR/SIRT work has moved me from a low-left shooter to a bit more of a "correct vertical level" shooter. Um, so I'm not jerking/forcing the trigger as much as I was with the SD9VE, right? (Then again, maybe it's just because I'm not anticipating any loud noise or major recoil with the .22.)

I'll keep on keeping on with the LASR/SIRT work and hope to get 2 live fire sessions a week with the .22LR from now on/through at least mid-September. The next "semi-major" event for me is I'm planning on shooting a USPSA match again in September. That means I need to get at least 2 indoor range sessions with the SD9VE before then AND do some draw from holster, dry-fire work with it at home. But that's at least 2 weeks down the road.

I feel much better today. Go me.

Edited by drmweaver2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today

(No Par time work, just concentrating on feel and smoothness)

10 minutes of Wall drills.

25 press outs from high ready.

25 press outs from low ready.

250 trigger press Gripmaster squeezes with each hand.

No holster work today.

Did some "dojo" work making targets. Found that cereal box cardboard is excellent in terms of thickness and stiffness for blue/paint taping to walls without curling or falling off. First I bought some cardboard targets (paid too much for what I actually received though they are excellent quality), then I printed some on 24lb printer paper (too flimsy to survive multiple 'put ups/take downs'), and finally I'd tried 'regular' cardboard (too thick & heavy and more difficult to work with than I'd like). But cereal box cardboard, while about the same weight (I didn't stick it on a scale) as regular cardboard is thin enough to handle/stay on the wall, stiff enough to not bend and durable enough to survive multiple 'put up/take down' cycles.

I've now got multiple sizes and shapes to plaster/tape in various setups. Printed out some 8x11 target sheets from pistol-form.com/drills pages (ex., 6-2inch dots, 6 inch circle, etc.). I know... grunt work time that I could have used to do more dry-fire...but hey, I'm methodical at making my work&play space comfortable, even if I'm not good at the actual shooting (look good, feel good). I mentally NEED variety and having the ability to work on more than one drill/target every couple days keeps my interest up.

Also, the LASR software allows for/recognizes standard target shapes for IPSC/USPSA, IDPA and NRA as well as allowing for freeform creation of irregularly shaped targets for scoring. So, "the library size" is increasing. (I hang my head in shame admitting I probably spent more time playing around making the targets than actually dry-firing today....shame on me.)

Tomorrow I'm planning on going back to the indoor range to shoot 3 types of Aguila .22LR rounds. I have 100 each of Super Extra High Velocity, Super Extra Standard Velocity, and Rifle Match Competition. Why the different types? As I;ve said above, my M&P .22LR pistol decided to p*** me off and not shoot the Remingtons, so I'm still finding out what it WILL shoot consistently. The Aguila rounds are regularly available locally for ~$.07 - $.08/round plus 8.75% tax. If I can shoot the Aguila consistently with no problems, then I've minimized my live fire costs as much as possible...AND I regain confidence in my .22 pistol.

(Another reason is I take care of my elderly father and since he's going to be visiting my sister tomorrow, I'm not anchored to the house with him.)

So... that's my story and I'm sticking to it (at least until I notice the Edit button again and change something else).

Edited by drmweaver2

Went to the indoor range today. Left feeling fairly good about the day.

Tested 100 rounds each of Aguila Super Extra Standard and High Velocity .22LR. No misfires or malfunctions that weren't my own fault (for ex., riding the slide back or not seating the magazine enough). This apparently really confirms what others have said - .22 rimfire pistols have personalities and like to fire what they like to fire. Mine doesn't like Remington's for whatever reason.

Here's a pic of the target I shot.

Pistol%20results%20SBISC%208-3-2016_1.jp

Shot target area sequence - 5-4-2-1-3

Area 5 - warmed up target distance 10' - 30'. Mixed tempo. Brought target in and out a few times.

Rest of areas' target - slow fire, irregular tempo, mostly concentrating on trigger control and sight picture. Shot a magazine at a time, pausing in between each (not rushing into shooting the next one). For the most part, I was "seeing" the target/POI aim pretty well. Front sight focus was about 70% effective with little wandering/loss of focus on it.

Areas 4 and 2 - began to get the "feel of shooting". Some anticipation of breaking the trigger. A bit much riding the trigger back to reset point.

Area 1 - a couple double-shots due to poor trigger control (rode trigger back to the reset point and immediately shot again unintentionally). Holding breath rather than relaxing while exhaling, pausing and then breaking the shot.

Area 3 - felt shoulders tightening up. Tensed the trigger finger a bit much. Didn't quite feel the shots as much as before. Possibly affected by knowing that these were the last few shots of the day - mental distraction.

Positive takeaways - Overall felt good today. Much more in control of the weapon and where the bullets were going to impact. I wasn't quite "calling my shots" but I was maintaining a much more stable sight picture each shot than previously. Confidence in the weapon not malfunctioning definitely helps. Much of the time, I felt positive about my trigger press being "relatively good"; that is, it ws not pushing, pressing or milking in any direction but nearly straight backwards. Didn't "yank" any shots.

Take aways - need more dry fire sight practice. Need more upper arm strength - got tired of holding gun up. Need more consistent weak hand grip. (At least I recognized when the grip was not 100%, but didn't back off and regrip when I recognized it was bad. I SHOULD have done so.) A positive attitude goes a long way.

I notice the bullet in bullet hole "groups" on target areas 2 and 4 and "like" that in that it seems to show I'm aiming at the same point on the target consistently (I think that's what it indicates...right?)

Edited by drmweaver2

Late entry today....just being lazy.

Got in my 300 Gripmaster squeezes with both hands. I can definitely say that my grip is stronger now as I can now repeatedly squeeze one of those "traditional" grip squeeze things that I could barely close before (must be a stronger spring than the Gripmaster Black/Heavy than I'm using as I can't do as many reps, but at least now I can do some).

Got in 50 high and low ready press outs to a 2" target from 5 yards.

Spent an hour or so messing kludging up a mount for my eBay-special Tachyon XC micro video camera for a ball cap brim. Wound up finding out that just using velcro tape will work as well as anything else, at least without spending more than $5. Will need to go outside with the camera on the brim and do some movement testing to verify it won't fall off or cause the ball cap to turn/change orientation under stress (when I move my fata** at more than my normal sloth-like pace).

Began looking at the USPSA calendar again despite my previous decision to not participate in another match until mid-September.... For some reason, I am really feeling masochistic lately and want to go shoot another match.

(Beat me, whip me, chain me, hurt me... register me for a USPSA match so I can embarrass myself again!!!!)

Good range day today.

Shot the same 5 Ovals target that I really like and got reasonable results. Trigger control was fairly decent, some sight picture wobble after two Ovals (#1 and 2 up top) with 5 mags/~50 shots.

Range%20Results%208-5-2016%205%20ovals.j

Decided to "baseline" myself with a 5x4 2-inch target test. Shot it 3 times.

Range%20Results%208-5-2016%2020%20circle

Sorry if that's hard to decipher. Basically, I shot this 3 times - 5 rows of 4- 2inch circle targets, 1 shot per circle @ 3yds/10feet (can't go downrange to see EXACTLY if I am above the 10ft line), slow fire.

I SHOULD have done this from the low ready, but I got "excited"/brainfarted and forgot to do that. So I just stood and shot from "press out", occasionally bringing the target back to mark a shot more clearly before continuing.

Overall, both pleased and not about these results.. >95% were within or touching the 2-inch bullseye's outer rings. But there were a few "flyers" all but 1 within 4 inches(I marked that one "lost" on the target as I couldn't find it on the large backing paper target).

Then I continued with the previous paper target, shooting Ovals 3, 4 and 5.

Strict analysis shows I'm still shooting a bit left. Need better trigger control. Definitely need to really stabilize my grip - sometimes it's loose, sometimes medium tight, and sometimes tight enough for me to say "That's how it's supposed to be".

Like I said, I feel pretty good about this, but being a bit "anal", disappointed I didn't do better. I mean, it's ONLY 3yds/10 feet, right? Lol.

This weekend, more dry-fire, lots of trigger work with the SIRT and grunches of Gripmaster work.

Ya'll have fun now and don't melt in the heat!

Took a couple days off...shouldn't have, but there it is.

Been working with the GripMaster and the traditional squeeze exerciser. I can tell the difference via my forearms - they are somewhat sore. Lol. Also, I can now squeeze a ball I had worked with before nearly flat where that wasn't even a consideration prior to working with the Gripmaster. Hopefully, this begins to translate to gripping the pistol more positively.

Been doing some here-and-there dry firing, nothing organized. Just picking up the pistol as I pass the room it's in and doing a few low-ready press outs. Maybe 3 at a time, sometimes 5. But nothing concentrated.

Also been doing a few "how fast can you pull the trigger" experiments with the SIRT - no aiming, just trigger pulls. No timer so I don't know how fast I am actually puling, but the laser dot shows I'm not jerking it toooooo much. Dots on the wall, not dashes --- for the most part.

Tomorrow's plan is in a state of flux. I want to go live fire but feel I ought to get back and do more organized/structured dry fire. Decisions, decisions. I don't want this to feel like "work" or obligation and dry fire/SIRT work could definitely begin to fall into that category if I don't watch it. Shrug. It is what it is (I hate that sentence but it's appropo here).

Went to the indoor range again today.

Mixed results. Only shot about 200 rounds. Still pulling/pushing shots left (but not low). consistently.

This target was shot at 7 yards, slow fire.

Range%20Results%20-%2008-10-2016_1.jpg

Top 2 target areas should be read "upside down" as I had to flip the target due to metal behind the top edge.

The 5 ovals target was also shot... Same results whether I was shooting 5 yards or 50' - that is, left.

Obviously, it's a bit of a control issue.

Also had intermittent front sight focus issues. I should have lowered the pistol and then tried again. Discipline issue in my head - I didn't do that (lower it). (face slap!!!)

I need to get some work in on my shoulder muscles. I get tense and tired too quickly, something that definitely affects my shooting/sight picture stability.

I need to do more dry-firing...it's that simple. Much more fun to actually shoot, but the dry-firing produces results.

Edited by drmweaver2

Another day, another indoor range trip with the M&P 22LR (Fullsize) pistol. Beginning to really like this little popgun.

Pic on Photobucket later. The gist is that I shot another 200 rounds, 100 Aguila SE/HV and 100 Federal Premium Target. The Aguila fired perfectly while the Federal had many (not numerous, many) Failures to Extract/Eject. I guess I will shoot Aguila primarily from now on. It's just not worth the aggravation shooting anything else in that pistol.

As far as results go, I was 95% "on target", not left as I have been previously. Maybe my Gripmaster and dry-fire work is producing results. The width of my "group" is about 2 inches horizontally and 2-3 inches vertically. So, I'm fairly pleased.

Lately, I've been "shooting" the Gripmaster, that is, pulling the index finger spring/section by itself. That seems to have had definite results in how relatively smoothly and (for me) relatively quickly I'm pulling the trigger. Lack of recoil or anticipation of such probably also has something to do with it, but little steps... little steps... progress such as it is.

I've also been doing the Wall drill a fair bit. Boring as hell in a way. My father laughs when he walks past the open door and sees me "staring at a wall with a gun in your hands... wtf?" Lol. I guess I'd think it's funny also if I didn't "know" what was going on.

The SIRT pistol has been VERY instructive as far as illustrating/confirming smoothness on the trigger pull. It's "free" now that it's paid for and I can just pick it up and do it anytime, anywhere. So I do.. while watching tv, while playing on the computer, even while just sitting around. The "double laser" dots show up brightly even i daylight and early "dashes" have become mostly "dots" as the lights reflect trigger takeups, pulls and breaks. It's about 3.5lbs more than my SD9VE and maybe 4-4.5 lbs more than my M&P 22LR, so that HAS to be beneficial as far as "killing" trigger jerk. Lovin' it!

Like I said, I'll throw up a pic on Photobucket later.

Nice shooting. I'm very impressed with your dedication to both methodical training and documenting your training. It's critical for real, measured improvement and it's something I'm bad at.

I also want to suggest a couple things - you seem to be very heavily reliant on shooting .22 which may be a cost issue or maybe be a "mental comfort" issue. There's nothing wrong with a day spent practicing on .22, but you should always finish with 1-3 magazines of 9mm so that when it comes time to really shoot, you aren't flinching from the larger recoil and report.

Also, I would get out and shoot another match. I noticed in one of your earlier comments you mentioned that you "weren't ready" for the speed draw or other components of a match. You shouldn't even be worrying about that right now. Ignore speed entirely. And I mean 110% entirely. At the buzzer, take a deep breath, get a perfect strong hand grip, draw, bring the gun up, and proceed to get perfect A zone hits on every single target.Don't run. Perform your reloads while you casually walk. Remember to remove your figger from the trigger guard while you walk. Think about every single action before you perform the action. Do that for the entire match. You should probably stick to that routine for your first 3 complete matches. The habits you ingrain in yourself now form the basis for the next 5 years of your shooting career. There's no need to rush right now. Just focus on things like reading the stage, making a plan for the Course of Fire (order to engage targets, where you'll do reloads, etc), and then execute slowly and smoothly. Speed will come in time.

Anecdote: My wife shoots 3-4 times a year, tops. I'm not talking about matches - just general range shooting. Never anything "practical" or "tactical" - just static shooting off the line. She's a very good shot, very accurate, great trigger control. She once entered a USPSA match with me and I set her up with my stock Glock 19, a no-name leather belt holster, and a couple borrowed mag pouches. I had my race gear. She wound up beating me on two stages that day simple because she was smooth. I tried to rush, went wide on some steel, and wound up having to do a reload, and she beat me by a solid 2 seconds on a 6 second classifier stage.

Also - don't sweat the DQs. It sucks that it happened so early in the day. But it happens to everyone. I got DQed in my 2nd and 4th matches ever. Almost back to back. It stings, and it sucks, but it made me a better, safer shooter. One thing I do now is while pre-walking the stage, I look around for traps that will get me to DQ. I also mentally rehearse the "load and make ready" actions AND the "if shooter is finished" actions.

And finally - when you do go back to shoot your next match. Make a point of mentioning to just about everyone that it's your first match. No one will know you're new if you don't tell them. Also tell your RO that you're new and ask if he can grab another more experienced competitor (because he'll be busy actually being the RO) to give you some guidance throughout the day.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Nice shooting. I'm very impressed with your dedication to both methodical training and documenting your training. It's critical for real, measured improvement and it's something I'm bad at.

I also want to suggest a couple things - you seem to be very heavily reliant on shooting .22 which may be a cost issue or maybe be a "mental comfort" issue. There's nothing wrong with a day spent practicing on .22, but you should always finish with 1-3 magazines of 9mm so that when it comes time to really shoot, you aren't flinching from the larger recoil and report.

Thanks ClangClang and Hi-Power Jack for the comments and encouragement. I'm sometimes methodical to the point of being anal... Documenting the journey is an idea that I actually took from this and other shooting forums. Consistent progress in anything is rare for me. I sometimes get discouraged quite quickly. Committing to the process of documenting is key for me to staying committed to improving. Also, I have a tendency to focus on the negative in most aspects of life though I consider myself an optimist (what a contradiction, huh?). But looking at the Range Results pictures also helps show I am not completely fooling myself AND I'm learning to be more "objectively critical" without so much focus on the negative. (Maybe this old dog can learn a new trick or two.)

Yes I am shooting the .22 a lot right now, mostly due to costs. It's the primary augmentation for my LASR/SIRT dry firing, again due to costs. I was figuring that I'd shoot 100_9mm rounds once every 2 weeks plus matches once I got basic trigger control and sight picture down. Guess it's time to start with that - soon. The report of larger guns never got to me years ago (M1, M14, 90mm recoilless rifle, LAW, M2 .50 cal, mortars, even the 105mm, 8 inch and 155mm howitzers..I tended not to flinch from any of those, shooting or even standing nearby). Recoil, on the other hand, well, we'll see. Recoil anticipation is something I didn't want to deal with starting out...but, it didn't seem to affect me too much on the 1 stage I didn't DQ on or the 150 round session I shot the 9mm at the indoor range (much louder than the outdoor range!).

Part of why I've started so "heavily" with the .22 was my desire to focus on trigger control and sight picture without distraction. It's helped, I think. Certainly has helped with my overall confidence as I tend to expect too much too quickly with new endeavors and then get down on myself hard sometimes (despite my now being a Senior citizen/my age and knowing that that is something I shouldn't be doing).

Anyway, here's the pic of the range results for the day.

Range%20Results_08-12-2016.jpg

As I said before, I feel pretty good about these results today. I was calling shots (as I understand the term) about 50% of the time. That is, I could tell mostly where the hole(s) would be after pulling the trigger. Oh, and my grip was generally better today. I did have to remind myself to tighten it a few times, but generally it was palm-to-frame and squeezed (squoze?) correctly.

There was a slight - put you in your place didn't he? - moment at the range today. The guy in the lane next to me was also shooting a 22, but it was a longer-barreled target pistol. I was shooting at 15-30' and he just sent his 8" bullseye targets out to 50' straight away. Then, bang, bang, bang.. probably a .5-1 sec metronomic speed for a full magazine. All in the 9/10 ring. Slapped a new mag in and repeated it. No, he didn't make any comments, nor did I. I wasn't gobsmacked or anything like that, but it/the performance/results definitely showed me (again) that I have lots of work to do just on accuracy. I wasn't shamed, embarrassed or anything. Just toned my "feel good" down a slight bit. Then I looked at my target, looked at my first targets from a while back (via the smartphone) and grinned a little grin. I ain't DeadEyeDick but I can hit the side of a barn now!

Oh, one last thing about my target above... The crosshair at the top center of the target represents my final mags today. All left.. no big surprise, but I have to say that I was actually shooting kinda blind in that I was having trouble seeing the actual crosshair intersection. The Sharpie lines were too small for these old eyes. I should have made it bolder/thicker.

Edited by drmweaver2

Took yesterday off.. shouldn't have. Just felt lazy.

Today - Sunday...would like to say it was a fun day. Just did my "dry fire duty" actually.

200 GripMaster squeezes
Wall drills for about 10 minutes.
25 squeeze the trigger with a dime on the end of the barrel
25 press outs from "just out of the holster" position

Following drills @ ~ 50% speed (by feel, not timer)

3 sets of 25 press outs from high ready - focusing on "the feel", getting a good sight picture and moving trigger finger into trigger guard during the press out (ready to squeeze as I reach max extension AND gain/finalize the sight picture). Had a little issue with front sight focus on the last set.

50 press outs from high ready, followed by single SIRT "shots" at 2inch target from 25 feet
--- pulled the trigger just as I felt the sight picture was "good enough" (didn't wait for a perfect one)
--- accuracy as monitored by LASR software >> 75% inside the circle

50 press outs from high ready, followed by "double-tap" SIRT "shots" at 3inch target from 25 feet
--- on first shot, pulled the trigger as soon as I felt the sight picture was "good enough" (didn't wait for a perfect one)
--- on second shot, deliberately pulled the trigger as soon as I saw the sight picture "forming up"
--- accuracy as monitored by LASR software >> 90% first shots, 65% second shots

((On the last two drills/exercises, I could almost "call the shot" but not quite like it was during my last live fire session at the range. For some reason, my eyes began to feel dry...A/C issue in the house? dunno.))

This was my longest dry fire session in a week. Arms and lower back(wtf?) got tired/sore. Too much tension. I definitely need to learn how to functionally relax while shooting. By that I mean, no more tension than needed to perform the action.... I think the tension is from my head focusing on results [ex., thought running through my head - what's the LASR software going to say about my accuracy] rather than focusing on the physical actions/processes.

Like I said above, felt like a "duty" today, not "fun".

Live fire again today. Only about 120 rounds downrange.

But this time I was very strict in terms of exactly what I wanted to do. 5 mags warmup @ 15 feet. Nothing special there, just focus on the sight picture and smooth trigger pull. The rounds were mostly left again. I tightened my grip slightly and began concentrating on not pushing the gun/trigger but pulling th etrigger straight back. By the end of the 60 rounds, they were hitting within a 2" group just slightly left of what I thought I was aiming at.

Then 5 mags going from low ready to press out/single shots @ 15 feet. Boy does that change things. Even though I've been doing this with the SIRT/LASR combo, firing actual rounds shows EVERY error more clearly. Group size sorta disintegrated, that is, shots had a MUCH BIGGER spread than the 2 inch groups at the end of warmup. No real flyers, but rounds were still mostly left. The rate of fire was fairly slow and deliberate, raise the pistol, aim deliberately, fire, lower the pistol, breathe - that cycle probably was taking 5 secs. But I was pulling the trigger almost as soon as the sights "hit" the intended point of aim. (Somewhat "weirdly", I was raising the sights above the POA and then dragging them down to the actual POA...dunno why?) All but 1 of 60 rounds were inside the oval. Mixed reactions to the results of this drill - surprised, somewhat disappointed and yet also somewhat pleased with the results.

Last 5 mags/60 shots @ 20 feet, same idea as the last one but more deliberate. I wasn't pulling the trigger as quickly. I found that I had started loosening my grip again, so I concentrated on deliberately tightening it the last 2 mags/24 rounds. Much better grouping (1.5") (still left though) but it didn't feel as satisfying as getting poorer results/larger group when shooting a bit faster. Gotta get my mind right, yassuh, Boss! 

FWIW, I was shooting Remington T-bolts today... I'd stuck them in the back corner of the closet a couple weeks ago when Remingtons were giving me all sorts of issues. I'm cheap, so I figured I'd try them again. No issues today except for 1 stovepipe.

It's a dry-fire kinda day here in Lousyanna (hot, humid, wet and flooding depending on where you are in the State. In some cases, all of the above.)

Wall drill - 5 minutes.
Self-made drill - goal - concentrating on sight picture and "accuracy"/calling shot
                          speed - under control
                          distance - 21 feet
                           targets - 6 - 2inch dots in a row, centers are 4 inches apart
                           action - from low ready, press out, fire single shot, rtn to low ready, repeat moving left to right 15 reps
                           action - from low ready, press out, fire two shots at a dot, rtn to low ready, repeat moving right to left 15 reps
                           action - from low ready, press out, non-stop - fire single shot, rtn to low ready, repeat moving left to right then
                                        right to left 15 reps (shoot right most dots 2x before moving back/changing direction)
                           action - from low ready, press out, non-stop - fire single shot, rtn to low ready, repeat moving right to left then
                                        left to right 15 reps (shoot left most dots 2x before moving back/changing direction)
                           action - from low ready, press out, fire 1 shot at a dot, aim/fire at next dot, rtn to low ready,
                                        moving left to right 15 reps
                           action - from low ready, press out, fire 1 shot at a dot, aim/fire at next dot, rtn to low ready,
                                        moving right to left 15 reps
Speed (berm) drill - 3 sets of 30 seconds aiming & firing at a blank wall as fast as I can pull the trigger.
Speed drill - 3 sets of 30 seconds aiming & firing at a 3 inch dot from a distance of 10 feet as fast as I can pull the trigger
                                        and maintain the sight picture.

Ran across a target online that I printed out for future use. It's from BCM and Haley Strategic Partners, RECOIL Magazine Issue 18 (http://www.recoilweb.com/travis-haley-explains-how-to-use-the-target-in-recoil-issue-18-61981.html). I can't print it out directly (my printer won't handle paper that size, but I do do Photoshop so I modified it slightly and then "cut" it up into 4 - 8.5x11 images, printed those out and then taped them together. My modified target measures 16.5" x 18.5".

The original (http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/RECOIL-18-BCM-Target.pdf):
RECOIL-18-BCM-Target-Diagram-675x450.jpg

My modification...replaced the writing in the gray box and the bottom section with a duplicate of the dots at the top. So I have dots above and below the center section. Why'd I modify a perfectly good, very versatile target? Um, because the writing and attribution are wasted on me - and it's a freely offered target if you bought the magazine or read about it on the Web. (Also, I'm not trying to make money on it, just use it for myself.) It's large enough to replace 4 other dry-fire targets I was using/had on my wall while providing the opportunity to run/define/score at least 10 different drills I'm already playing around with using the LASR software/SIRT pistol combo.

I'm thinking of one other modification to it... replacing the top row of 1 inch dots in the top section with 2 inch dots.... then duplicating that at the bottom row of my added rows of dots. 

File this under the "I can't sleep so I'll make a post" folder....

Just finished my latest version of an Excel tracking spreadsheet that tracks the dates I shoot, number of rounds shot, and a running total of rounds shot for each pistol since each pistol was cleaned. I'm no Excel guru, but it's a nice spreadsheet if I do say so myself. It's been "under development" for a while now.. I must have at least a dozen versions of it, some way more complicated than any reasonable person would consider useful and others with so little information being tracked as to be useless. Lol.

Here's a link in case anyone is curious. (It's a Windows Excel .xls file.)
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvC7p4tHbX40gP4CrSfj_rE4fq-FJQ

Feel free to trash it, comment on it, modify it or use it as you see fit...with the exception of commenting, I'll never know. Lol.

I don't reload my own ammo, but that could be incorporated if I did.

I'm thinking of adding "running inventory" of ammo on-hand functionality, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort as I can just look in the closet and see, "Why yes, John. You DO have x number of rounds, no need to buy more." or "No, dummy. There's no ammo on the shelf. Go buy some.....NOW!"

Like I said, this is a middle of the night post... kinda rambling. Probably should go back to bed.

Nah.,.. dry-fire in the darkness of night!. Yeah, that's the ticket!

6 hours ago, drmweaver2 said:

this is a middle of the night post... kinda rambling. Probably should go back to bed.

I awoke in the middle of the night once - had a brilliant idea I just had to jot down before

I could get back to sleep - it was a life changing concept - couldn't afford to lose it by

going back to sleep without writing it down.

Went back to bed with a smug smile - I had "nailed it".

At breakfast I re-read my "brillian, life changing idea" and didn't understand a word

of it   :(

Good advice - "Go back to bed".   :)

Range day again. Shooting the "leftover" Remington Thunderbolts. Used the same target I started with Monday despite the mis-written dates on the target (I mistakenly wrote 0-13 and 08-15-2016 rather than 08-15 and 08-17-2016 as it should have been.).
Monday I shot ovals 1-2-4.    Today I shot the rest in this order: 5-A-3-B-C-D.
Distances 10'-30'
Issues - sight wobbling at times, still pushing shots left, groups not tight enough.
Positives - only a few "flyers" on each day and those were due to sight/pistol wobble
When I aim slightly right, I hit center of the red ovals, so it's a semi-consistent result - I must be pushing the trigger(?).

Range%20Results%2009-17-2016.jpg

Overall, I'd grade this a B- to B on Monday and a B to B+ today both in terms of results and how I feel about them.
Best grouping - the C "crosshair"/middle right. I'd grade that B+ to A and be pretty satisfied if I could consistently do that @ 30 feet.
Biggest issue for the day - holding the front sight picture too long and the  front sight begins to "wobble"/figure 8 on me.

I just realized (slow me) that I can get even more mileage out of this target by shooting the NUMBERS, trying to make one big hole.

I had to laugh today when someone asked me why I shot so many rounds at a single target....
My response was, "I'm simply too cheap to buy another."
Their final comment, "I guess so."

Edited by drmweaver2

ClangClang and HiPower Jack, this entry's for you...^_^

Went back to the range today and shot my SD9VE.... Of course ya'll were correct despite my really wanting you to not be. I had some definite trigger, flinch and big bang anticipation issues with the SD9VE. It's also a fair bit heavier when loaded up 16+1 than the M&P 22LR. Doh!

Okay, the details. Shot 139 rounds (in 8 - 16 rnd mags and 1 - 11 round mag) because that was what I had lying "loose" on the closet shelf. Same indoor range; found a couple light switches for the lane that I had overlooked in all my previous trips there. Makes a big difference when you can see the target!. Also, tried yellow lenses over my glasses as opposed to the clear over-lenses that I have been using. Dunno if they made any real difference or not now that the lane/target was much better lit.

Pic 1.. my favorite target style - 5 ovals

Range%20Results%2008-18-2016_2.jpg

Okay, all shots were taken from 15'. Obviously I was having my typical low-left, trigger control issues. I was definitely also anticipating the big bang:o and having some muzzle/sight wobble problems, especially on ovals 1-2-and-4. I pulled it together for a few shots on oval 5 and that really encouraged me... perhaps too much as look at oval 3. Serious low left hits again. Sigh. But that seems to be a tighter group... nah, I just happened to consistently screw up the same way, I think.

Pic 2...Parting shots on Bullseye target @ 30'

Range%20Results%2008-18-2016-_.jpg

With one mag left, I moved the bullseye target out to 30' to truly humble myself. Slow fire - one shot, lower the pistol, relax/shrug shoulders, a couple of deep breaths and repeat. This showed it is definitely ME and not the pistol at this distance. A Few shots hit exactly where I aimed/expected them to hit. Others show my trigger issues. 4 flyers - not proud of them. BUT, the rest are not too bad (if I do say so myself)

Lessons learned:
Fire the SD9VE more often. Trigger control, dude!  Jerking off target doesn't do you any good!
Fire the SD9VE more often. Relax. Quit tensing up. The bullet is going to go away from you!
Fire the SD9VE more often. Fire the round within 2 seconds of raising the pistol - limit the wobble!
Fire the SD9VE more often. Front sight focus!
Fire the SD9VE more often. I learned more about shooting the SD9VE in this short session than I expected to.
Did I mention that I need to Fire the SD9VE more often?

Overall, I'm not disappointed with my shooting. It was okay. Not great, not awful. But I am pretty sure this illustrates why I hesitate throwing money away by entering another USPSA match too soon. The M&P 22LR's results gave me a false sense of my current level of ability. Otoh, without that experience, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have done "this well", such as it is.

So, more dry-fire practice - a fair bit of it with the SD9VE not just the SIRT pistol.
As advised, shoot 1-3 mags of 9mm at least every other time I shoot the .22. (It's a cost thing.)

There's probably more but that's my initial take on today's "action".

Edited by drmweaver2

"Fire the SD9VE more often." Right?? Got a call just before the range closed.

"Missing something?"  
"???"
"What were you shooting today?"
"SD9VE."
" .......... "
"Oh sh**!! I'll come pick it up immediately..."
"We're closing and have no place to store it overnight...store policy you know."
"Well, what do you suggest?"
"....." Click, hung up. Dial tone.

"Fire the SD9VE more often."

Yeah... that's me... memory challenged.
Now counting the minutes to 9:20am so I can leave and head to the range to pick it up....IF it's there,

Got there, they smirked at me. Signed it over and all was/is well. Sigh.

While there, I shot a few mags of 22... yeah, I know. I'm both cheap and stubborn.

No pics. But I was "experimenting" with my grip. My off-hand/left thumb didn't want to stay "home" (wherever that is) yesterday while shooting the SD9VE. It tended to "float" rather than stay wedded to the frame. When I did roll the wrist frame-ward to try to weld it to the frame, the heel of my left-handed wanted to move away from the frame. Sigh. The thumb issue doesn't happen when shooting either the .22 or the Glock-style SIRT pistol. So, today I tried a suggestion from someone on another forum and played with just letting the left hand thumb "float", that is, not worrying about it so long as it didn't interfere with the slide moving backwards. Just concentrate on applying pressure with the fingers and the heels of my hands.

It actually worked pretty well once I started focusing on applying pressure from heel to heel with both hands rather than just gripping hard with my fingers. I actually kept all 52 rounds of a 5 magazine string in the orange oval of a "5 oval target" (liek the ones above) at 15' while firing single shots after starting from a low ready start position then returning to the low ready and taking a breath. My "drill"/routine was a 2 sec raise-the-pistol-find-the-sight-picture-and-shoot timing. Not expert-level shooting by any means, but the best string of that length and timing/routine that I've shot yet. (I know, pics or it didn't happen.. but sorry.. no pic, didn't have my smartphone/camera with me. You'll just have to take my word.)

Also, I was feeling masochistic, so I tried shooting some Remington Golden Bullets to get rid of them. Hey, the Remington T-bolts shot okay and I got rid of them, so why not the G-B's, right? I found out that I was just dreaming thinking they'd be fine... Multiple failures to seat in the chamber correctly, failures to eject, a couple stovepipes... G-B's just won't consistently work in my .22. I have to accept that and find someone who can use them. Man, I hate throwing money away.

So, dry-fire later today... gripmaster exercises and just chilling... yeah, that's a plan.

Edited by drmweaver2

Today's excursion into repetition...

Worked on 2 shots to the chest, 1 to the head drill today. Over 50 reps with LASR/SIRT pistol from 5 yards. Chest area was a 6 x 8 inch rectangle (actually a scaled down USPSA target silhouette minus the head area); the Head area was a 2 inch circle 4,5 inches centered on and above the chest area.

Set LASR timer par time to 4 secs to start and worked my time/speed from there.

Started off at 3.9-4.2 secs consistently starting from low ready. Got it down to 3 secs with 95% accuracy to the chest, 75% to the head. Could have pushed it speed wise, I'm sure, but I was really just familiarizing myself with the drill.

Varied the drill by using 2 IDPA scaled down body silhouettes on both sides of the "chest" rectangle. Shot left to right, right to left and center to left to right, and center to right to left. Total probably 25 reps. Same 4 sec par time and got my time down to about 2.75 secs. Definitely nothing Master class speedwise, but again, just familiarizing myself with this drill.

Changed it up again and shot the left target, head and then right target; also the reverse direction. If I was under the Par time, I tried to shoot the center/chest target which was level with the left and right silhouettes. Another 20 reps here.

The par timer does make me concentrate more even when I wasn't pushing it...which was a fact for 99% of these evolutions.

Finished up with shooting that new target I made - shot the 1 inch circles/dots for accuracy, that is, untimed. Starting from the low ready, pressed out and tried to put 5 shots in each of 6 - 2inch dots before moving on/returning to the low ready. 90% accuracy over 10 reps.

Gripmaster training - 200 reps today full hand/both hands. 100 index finger squeezes concentrating on isolating the index finger and not squeezing with the other fingers or thumb at all. THAT is tiring!

Went to try out the "new target" live fire... Shot about 160 rounds from 10, 15 and 30'.

Overall, semi-satisfied. Grip was inconsistent. Routinely too loose with both hands at various times.

Range_Reslts_08-22-2016_MP_22LR.jpg

Top dots were unshot.
Dot sizes are top/bottom - 1inch diameter, next larger (2 dots at left/right center area corners and the center dot) - 2inch diameter, largest - 3inch diameter.

Shot from low ready to press out, max 2 sec from press out to trigger pull. Returned to low ready after trigger pull.

Analysis: 
I had issues with front sight focus. At times, it was very blurry. Seemed like I had to aim low to hit intended POI and I was still off.

Pistol was not parallel to floor at press out fairly often. Had to deliberately raise muzzle to find the front sight.

Trigger squeeze/pull didn't seem positive today. It was "2 part"; that is, I felt the rate of the trigger takeup was different from pulling through the break and follow-through as opposed to just a single smooth pull from start to finish. This is different from most of my previous practices.

My stance today was also off. I was sort of wobbling vertically rather than solidly balanced and stationary. I even backed out of my stance a couple times due to the wobbling.

Take aways: Just an off day all around. After an initial 2 magazines with Remington Golden Bullets (bang my head.. never again!), I switched up and finished the rest of the session with Aguila SE/HV's. They just shoot well.

Plan on doing some more dry fire tonight, about half the reps of yesterday but the same drills.