Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

legal magazine for CZ sp-01 production division?

biglou13

what is legal magazine for SP-01 (tactical) in production division

i've read the official rules, but that doesn't help me..... yet

and if possible what base pads plus magazine will keep me inside "the box"

i'm planning on shooting club match/s in the near future

i need a more magazines to complete kit, prior

i want to make sure i don't buy the wrong parts

i'm planning on buying from greg cote so adding a link/s would be super helpful ( http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-mecgar-magazines-base-pads-c-130/)

I've received mixed advice from local indoor range gurus.... none who shoot USPSA/IPSCC thought I'd ask here...... a source I trust more

most anything except the +2 extensions will fit in the box and be legal.

i use these (except I shoot 40 minor so mine are 40 mags, but the same model and dimensions):

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-mecgar-magazines-base-pads-c-130/cz-75b-cz-85b-cz-75-sp01-17-rd-9mm-afc-mgcz7517afc-p-591.html?zenid=d61fb3f95fd14f96c99f8a0b96f0c32c

Edited by motosapiens

I tried these: http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-mecgar-magazines-base-pads-c-130/cz-75b-cz-85b-cz-75-sp01-17-rd-9mm-afc-mgcz7517afc-p-591.html?zenid=b92495f3592f3216bbfe1df8f5d7d412, but they wouldn't fall free in my gun. I went with factory SP-01 mags: http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-magazines-base-pads-c-173/cz-75-sp01-cz-75b-or-cz-85-9mm-18-rd-factory-magazine-11152-p-1404.html, added Wolff +10% springs and Shockbottle basepads and they're legal. I tried the Springer basepads that Greg Cote sells, but they were very difficult to install and remove.

thanks for fast response..... with the mec gars above they still wouldn't drop free with base pad?

Dang i already bought 2 plus mags they drop fine..... maybe find different base pads for them......

ouch! those base pads ain't cheap almost as much as mag itself.......

do any if the rubber pads on greg cote's site come in production legal?

thanks for fast response..... with the mec gars above they still wouldn't drop free with base pad?

They dropped free for about a month, then the AFC coating wore off and they stopped dropping fee, even w/ the Shockbottle basepads. FWIW, Mec Gar replaced them (after about a month), but I immediately sold them because I had already bought CZ mags.

I predominantly use 16 round Mec-Gar tubes, that you can find for around $20 each.

For matches I really care about, I keep a set with Springer Aluminum basepads.

For "locals" (especially indoor matches), I have an older set of Mec-Gars with rubber pads.

Also have a few SP01 18/19 round mags that I pull out for the rare occasion of shooting Limited-minor.

If you have some tall sights, you will want to make sure that the gun with the mags of your choosing fits inside the specified dimensions.

My SP01 with F/O front, Fixed Comp Rear, VZ Grips and Springer Basepads fit the box and made weight at last year's Production Nationals.

Regarding Magazines failing to drop free, I took out the Mag-brake and straightened it out. Also cut off the hook/tab at the bottom of the brake before I put it back in. (I think you can also buy a straight piece of metal to replace the mag-brake from CZ-Custom.) That addressed the issue of Mag-brake working as designed.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Dawson rear sight and the basepads you definitely won't fit in the box with the +2's.

I ordered all new pads so be legal.

My mec-gars drop just fine but you have to either 1. NOT smash the eject button as hard as you can because you push the bottom of the button into the mag and it pinches it in the mag well, or 2. grind down the inside of the button (widening the slot that moves over the mag and into the well) so that you don't smash your mag.

Also, the Stainless Steel mag break and some lube helps them drop free.