Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do with your gun when you do a walk through

Chris40

Hi I have a Safariland 012, what do you do with your gun when you do a walk through. I do not want my gun to fail out some of the time I have my hand on it making sure it stays there. Do you use something like a strap that holds the gun or just take it out and put it in a bag.                

Thanks for the help Chris

(Edited by Chris40 at 8:13 am on Nov. 25, 2002)

The best thing to do during the walk through is to leave the gun in your holster.

With a locked Ghost holster that would be no problem but then again the other thing to do is prevent the holster from being unwanted unlocked.

I a long fieldcourses with situations where a holstered gun could be a handicap (going prone e.g) and i am not one of the first three shooters i bag my gun.

Greetings

Adrie

I am thanking about getting a Ghost or a CR I like the lock on them. I am trying to make up my mind about what one to get I am not sure about putting a hole in the trigger guard. But I do like me 012.                  Thanks for the info

I simply use a piece of velcro material around to gun and holster.  Keeps me from bumping the gun out from behind.  No sense in spending extra bucks for another holster if you like the 012.

I think Barnhart makes a "walk through strap."  Or he used to anyway.  Might check that out.

WayneB

If you are that worried about it, best to bag it. Safety always wins over any arguement.

Otherwise get a holster that will lock, like the CR or the Ghost, or my favorite..the Bianchi. I can still manage to pull through a CR and a good bump might get it. The Bianchi does not let go.

I definately second the lock or strap (velcro watch bands work great as walk-through straps.  Bonus points for leaving the watch on.  You can tell spectators you're teaching your gun to tell time).

Also, if you've got a safe area handy and aren't shooting soon, bag that sucker and park the mags.  Why carry extra poundage all over the range?

Just my personal experience, but I've also got a Safariland, in my case the 010, and I love it. I just leave the tension adjustment tightened down all the way, all the time. It's doesn't impede the draw at all. Indeed I feel it makes for a faster, smoother draw because the gun doesn't move around with first hand contact. And it's much more secure. For normal movement, taping, etc. that's sufficient. If I have to do anything involving running, anything that might possibly dislodge the gun, I put my hand on the gun to hold it in place. A lot of people I saw DQed out at Area One in 2001 lost the gun out of the holster while running because they didn't do just that. It's a good habit to get into.

[stupid Question Mode ON]

Why the heck doesn't Safariland just put a locking lever on the holster?  Even with the sucker screwed down all the way (which doesn't seem to impede the draw at all), I still don't trust it.   Although, as soon as I had a holster with a locking lever, I'd forget and try to rip the belt loops off my jeans...  Guess I'll keep bagging it.

After a near disaster at the 2000 nats, I shelved my 010 for an 012 Safariland.   But, now they both mostly hang on the wall in the gun room and I use a modified Uncle Mikes $20 rig for my STI or a Bladetech for my CZ.   I still use the 012 for steel matches, but the Kydex is so much more comfortable that I just wear it around the place all the time.   The Kydex is only a tad slower on the draw, but my grip is more consistent, so I think I'm personally better off.  Since setting out to learn the Production game, my whole costume has changed!  

I am with you EricW why not just put a locking lever on the holster. Seems to me it would be something else to check just make sure the lock is off. I thank I will start looking for a strap or just bag it.

Thanks for all the info  

I honestly wouldn't touch a ghost holster again, the way i draw it caught the gun 2/3 of the time. and the gun shook/rattled around in the holster, made me nervous as .. very secure, but still un nerving.

i use an 012 clamped down, been thinking about a walk through strap of some sort as i wear my gun for the whole match most of the time.

If your that scared of your gun coming out Bag It. Presuming its not a 100 yd dash to the saftey area.

mcoliver, I had to modify it because I've got a short heavy dustcover STI.  I just had to open it up about 3/8" of an inch by replacing the factory tension screws with a couple of 10x32x1-1/4" screws from the hardware store.   Then the screws were long enough to let me cut two pieces of 5/16" vacuum hose to add next to the little white shims from the factory.

Yeah, after that  I whipped the Dremel out and lowered the front about 1/2". Then I widened it by doing away with about 1/4" where the plastic curled in over the ejection port.  Sporty!  I like it, and I'm thinking of ordering another one 'cause I'll go into withdrawl and start seeing pink elephants if anything happens to this one.