Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting same gun twice

sweetback

When registering to shot the same gun twice for a sanctioned monthly match (RFPO) or any gun in same division.Which gun is used for score? Or do you use the slower of the two for final results.For instance first gun totals 65.01 total time second (same)gun 61.02 total time? Shot by same person back to back or moved down in rotation in squad.

Never heard of that before, myself. I guess I could understand it if you were shooting the same gun by paying for tickets in two divisions. For example, SS/CDP for first go around, and then use the same gun for limited. Each run would be clearly and specifically earmarked for a particulary category. Otherwise, 'round here the second go-around would simply be for practice, nothing on the books.

Never heard of that before, myself. I guess I could understand it if you were shooting the same gun by paying for tickets in two divisions. For example, SS/CDP for first go around, and then use the same gun for limited. Each run would be clearly and specifically earmarked for a particulary category. Otherwise, 'round here the second go-around would simply be for practice, nothing on the books.

That would be my take as well. I routinely shoot a Limited gun in Limited and Open.

If you shoot the same gun in the same division in a match, your first score with that gun is your score and the second is only for fun.

RFPO isnt a good example since you can only really shoot it in one division....but if it were a gun that you could shoot in more then one division, let's say a Glock in Production, you could shoot the same Glock from the same or even different holster for score in Limited.

Since there is no rule against it currently, both scores are legitimate. The only problem is when a shooter starts posting scores above their ability to repeat. I would say this would have to be at the match directors discretion. I have done this just to get more practice with one gun. I would think that your first entry should be your match score. It is the fair way to do it. Maybe this should be addressed in the rules.

I don't see an issue with refiring a gun in the same division as long as the first score is the match score. The refire would give the match and SCSA more money. This should only be allowed if there is room on the squads....and we are back to a MD's discretion.

When registering to shot the same gun twice for a sanctioned monthly match (RFPO) or any gun in same division.Which gun is used for score? Or do you use the slower of the two for final results.For instance first gun totals 65.01 total time second (same)gun 61.02 total time? Shot by same person back to back or moved down in rotation in squad.

IMO we shouldn't register in the same division twice. There's no easy way to distinguish which one is for fun and which one is for score. In your example the 61.02 is going to be listed higher than the 65.01 entry.

This item is being addressed in the new rules.

2.2.3 Competitors are limited to a single firearm per division. A competitor may, however, compete with the same firearm in multiple divisions within the same match. For example a competitor may use the same handgun in Production and Limited divisions but would not be permitted to shoot shooting twice in Production or twice in Limited.

Enter the 2nd gun as "Your Name" with a 2 on the end as an identifier.

I get that. The part that can't be easily handled is displaying the results. In the example sweetback posted he shot 65.01 with the "for score" gun and 61.02 with the "for fun" gun. Because there's no way to not include the "for fun" gun in the results it's going to be listed higher than the "for score" gun. This isn't a problem when you shoot the same gun in two different divisions.

Until the new rule book is published I plan to follow section 2.1.2 and state on the registration form that the shooter can only shoot each division once.

I get that. The part that can't be easily handled is displaying the results. In the example sweetback posted he shot 65.01 with the "for score" gun and 61.02 with the "for fun" gun. Because there's no way to not include the "for fun" gun in the results it's going to be listed higher than the "for score" gun. This isn't a problem when you shoot the same gun in two different divisions.

Until the new rule book is published I plan to follow section 2.1.2 and state on the registration form that the shooter can only shoot each division once.

Understood.

The part that can't be easily handled is displaying the results.

After the last string with the 2nd entry just DQ that entry.

2.2.3 Competitors are limited to a single firearm per division. A competitor may, however, compete with the same firearm in multiple divisions within the same match. For example a competitor may use the same handgun in Production and Limited divisions but would not be permitted to shoot shooting twice in Production or twice in Limited.

Typo in the proposed rule, FYI.

I don't understand the issue here. Why not allow a shooter to shoot the same division twice. You use the first fired entry as a score and the second just gets thrown out. It just a practice run if the squad sizes allow , The MD allows and the club gets to make a little extra money.

I do agree at a Level 2 and above match that it should not be allowed

My issue is that the clubs I shoot at would just let you shoot the practice one for free after everyone ekse was done and not enter it into the database. You would keep your score by hand and get both your practice and times without needlessly charging you another fee.

Here is how the new rule should read:

"Competitors may shoot the same gun in the same division a second time for no official score with Match Director approval if slots are available and time allows. The second run shall be scored under an alias such that there is no confusion regarding official scoring. The Match Director shall select an appropriate alias for the competitor based on his/her knowledge of the competitors character and or other relevant attributes, personal habits, etc."

Here is how the new rule should read:

"Competitors may shoot the same gun in the same division a second time for no official score with Match Director approval if slots are available and time allows. The second run shall be scored under an alias such that there is no confusion regarding official scoring. The Match Director shall select an appropriate alias for the competitor based on his/her knowledge of the competitors character and or other relevant attributes, personal habits, etc."

Well maybe this

At Level 1 matches competitors may shoot the same gun in the same division a second time for no official score with Match Director approval if slots are available and time allows. The second run shall be scored under an alias such that there is no confusion regarding official scoring.

Typo in the proposed rule, FYI.

Thanks. I'll fix that.

I heard back from Troy. His response was

OK to do, but as with USPSA, first run counts, second or subsequent runs not recorded in the scoring system.

I'll be revising the draft rules accordingly.

Common sense prevails? It happens so rarely...

I could be over thinking it, but you might want to write it in such a way that it reads something like "create an alias without the USPSA number," as it won't matter if you call yourself Shooter McBoomy and sign in with your real number if n our digital age the score transfer is automatically tied to the ID number more than the name. If in fact the score is officially sent in via the USPSA number, the simple solution might be to record the second run without the USPSA number attached and dispense with the complications of an alias altogether. "REENTRY" could perhaps be typed in the ID# spot to designate the unscored run? Thus, the computer will freeze and all will be held up, but still...

Edited by jkrispies