Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

electrolyte supplement

I've started to use hydralyte tablets that dissolve into the water. Theres only 4 grams of sugar.

4 tablets into 500ml water will keep me feeling good from morning to mid afternoon with about a litre of water in 90+ heat. And that's being basically dehydrated at the start.

Last match I used hydralyte, I had a crazy muscle spasm the night before. I was feeling like crap that morning, sipped the hydralyte between registration and gunning up.

By the time safety meeting was done, I felt 10x better. Just all the tension I was feeling disappeared ended up placing 4th after not shooting for a year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Balderdash. 

A friend sent me some packets of electrolyte salts to be dissolved in drinking water.  The taste is vile so I mix the solution with Gatorade.  I alternate clear water and that blend throughout the day. I finish up with a bottle of straight Gatorade, drink plenty of water at post shoot lunch, and take a calcium citrate tablet before bed.l have had many fewer leg, foot, and hamstring cramps after a day on the range.  YMMV  (Your Metabolism May Vary)

26 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Balderdash. 

A friend sent me some packets of electrolyte salts to be dissolved in drinking water.  The taste is vile so I mix the solution with Gatorade.  I alternate clear water and that blend throughout the day. I finish up with a bottle of straight Gatorade, drink plenty of water at post shoot lunch, and take a calcium citrate tablet before bed.l have had many fewer leg, foot, and hamstring cramps after a day on the range.  YMMV  (Your Metabolism May Vary)

I just drink water and take these if I feel the need https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Cramps-Tablets-Natural-Relief/dp/B002YXUPGK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_121_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JFWZY774M8SARY5V81MR . 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Interesting article in Consumer Reports. unless you are doing something hard core athletic you just need to worry about water replacement. 

I usually dilute Gatorade with 3 parts water:   1 part Gatorade.    :) 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I usually dilute Gatorade with 3 parts water:   1 part Gatorade.    :) 

We did that when I was working in an aluminum smelter (you put on a second layer of clothes to protect you from the radiant heat, it is hot). 

It worked a lot better than massive quantities of straight gatorade. 

7 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

I have some of the Hylands cramp relief pills, also their "Bioplasma."  I don't know how much it is doing for me.  Should a cramp slip by my regular protocol, pickle juice is an immediate relief. 

At matches I try to stay hydrated alternating between cold water and the sugar-free Gatorade.  But on a match with lots of falling steel and in the Texas heat that is not nearly enough.

At the house I  have both the Hylands cramp relief pills and pickle juice on hand. I also tried Amish Apple Cider with decent results. 

For me the best thing I've found is a daily 450 mg dose of magnesium in tablet form.  It keeps the cramps away.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I use to be in charge of safety for a foundry. Good old OSHA made heat stress an issue they would inspect you on. After much research I instructed our people on the following: pre hydrate about 15 minutes before they started work with water. Don't drink caffeinated beverages including coffee before or during work. Alternate between an electrolyte drink and water. You can get to much electrolyte.

Don't get thirsty drink on a schedule not when you feel you need it.  Interestingly enough there are more heat stress injuries in Canada than the US each year. The issue is acclimation. Canadians because of less acclimation has more issues. Because of that they had better data on how to prevent heat stress. We offered three electrolyte choices. The first was nunn which were tablets you put in bottled water these had no sugar. The second was sports drinks which has sugar and salt. Finally the third were pills and I can't remember the name but they were salt free.

We also went over heat stress response training. In general get the person to a cooler area. Lay them down on there side. Call 911 then if possible get them to slowly drink liquids. Place ice or something cold under there arm pits, head, and groin.

Jay

7 hours ago, Jay63 said:

I use to be in charge of safety for a foundry. Good old OSHA made heat stress an issue they would inspect you on. After much research I instructed our people on the following: pre hydrate about 15 minutes before they started work with water. Don't drink caffeinated beverages including coffee before or during work.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965

The no coffee thing has been shown to be incorrect, I was told the same thing for years & I love coffee, bastards. 

Other thing, bananas. 

15 hours ago, Jay63 said:

We also went over heat stress response training. In general get the person to a cooler area. Lay them down on there side. Call 911 then if possible get them to slowly drink liquids. Place ice or something cold under there arm pits, head, and groin.

June 2017 I passed out at a match in Birmingham Ala.  Well, nearly, I don't THINK I completely lost consciousness but things were real hazy there for a while.  On range response got me horizontal with wet towels on head and chest, cold water bottles in armpits, water to drink.  Ride to ER, IV, numerous tests.  No specific cause; it was only mid 80s and I had been drinking water at my usual rate.  Orthostatic hypotension and vasovagal syncope were ER and home MD diagnoses, respectively. 

Hearing the paramedic holding my wrist "I don't have a pulse." and the one with a hand on my neck "I don't have a pulse here, either." would have been alarming if I had been more compos mentis.     

Orthostatic hypotension.  Stood up to take my turn,  blood pressure dropped suddenly.  Maybe due to low blood volume, I was likely not as well hydrated as I thought.

Vasovagal syncope.  Involuntary nervous system got funny, dropped blood pressure, I fainted.

One or the other or combination of effects, I dunno. 

Ended up on BP meds, more care on hydration and electrolytes.   

• 1 month later...