Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swage on a 550?

Wonder if anyone has tried to take the primer cup off the bar and install a swage?

I'm tired of crushing primers when loading 9mm. If I could use the 550 to swage it would be a lot faster than on my single stage. Maybe take the primer cup off and putting a swage in its place?

Edited by Canman

General consensus is that the shell plate assembly isn't strong enough to hold up to the pressure required for swaging.

That general consensus includes Dillon who makes the machine, but don't pay any attention to them. :devil:

Swage-it makes one for the 550 I bought one for my 650 and love it. On my 650 it uses about the same pressure as seating a primer.

Ive heard the swage it voids the warranty. Is it even possible to tell it was installed, if you remove it?

Daniel K

No its not. But if you told Dillon that your shell plate was damaged they might suspect one was used. When I put mine on I was surprised how little pressure it took to work. Feels about the same as seating a primer. I used the Dillon super swage 600 for awhile but it was a pain but did a good job.