Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open shotgun red dot size?

ropsitos

Trying to determine red dot choice for an open division shotgun. For some reason, I think I need a larger dot size, like 6 or 8 moa, which I based on the apparent moa of the fiber bead on my 1301.

Does this make any sense?

Also I'm tempted to pick up something cheap in the interim, like a trs25, or something even cheaper. Those often have smaller dots and I don't know durability of those on a 12ga.

Any thoughts about good cheap red dots that can hold up? Right now I need to pick up mags (as soon as they come back in stock) for it first so cash for a known good red dot with a larger dot is a tough justification. I prob won't shoot any matches for a while but I'd like to ditch the stock iron sights.

Thanks for the opinions

Holosun circle dot would work well. Have a 2 moa dot you can zero for slugs and a large circle good for picking up close stuff quickly.

They are a little more than a trs or other cheap options but less than a lot of others.

Holosun circle dot would work well. Have a 2 moa dot you can zero for slugs and a large circle good for picking up close stuff quickly.

I wondered about the circle dot. The 65 moa circle looks huge given the size of the usual shotgun target size. I am a fan of circle dot for rifle though. I guess though since it's a ring it won't cover a smaller target as if I t was a 65moa solid red dot

Ghetto moa math

65moa = 65" @ 100

32.5" @50

16.25"@ 25

8.125" @12.5

Have run both the 3moa and 8moa dots on my shotgun. Both of which were Burris FastFireIII's. The 3moa was too small for my liking. In cloudy conditions it was easy to pick up but normal conditions are bright which made it difficult at speed. The 8moa is easy to pick up and track in bright conditions and doesn't hinder a good sight picture for slugs at distance.

Have run both the 3moa and 8moa dots on my shotgun. Both of which were Burris FastFireIII's. The 3moa was too small for my liking. In cloudy conditions it was easy to pick up but normal conditions are bright which made it difficult at speed. The 8moa is easy to pick up and track in bright conditions and doesn't hinder a good sight picture for slugs at distance.

Same here. I have run both and the 3moa is not bright enough. 8moa is great, but I am really liking my 6moa C-More on my open pistol. Seems like a good compromise between the 2 sizes. If i ever replace the C-More on my shotgun I would go with a 6.

gerritm

I wondered about the circle dot. The 65 moa circle looks huge given the size of the usual shotgun target size. I am a fan of circle dot for rifle though. I guess though since it's a ring it won't cover a smaller target as if I t was a 65moa solid red dot

Ghetto moa math

65moa = 65" @ 100

32.5" @50

16.25"@ 25

8.125" @12.5

I currently have a Leopold Deltapoint Pro with the triangle. It works well but have often thought a good circle dot would be good on a shotgun if the circle was a good representation of a usable portion of the shot pattern at the differing distances we shoot shot at. And the fine point in the middle used for slug shots. Has anyone patterned a shotgun using a circle dot to see how well the circle represents a usable shot pattern within the circle at varying distances?

Mine is JP's co-witness mount with the protective wings, but they have discontinued them.

So now - you have to get the pic mount with wings and put a 1/2" riser under it, accomplished the same thing but I prefered the one piece mount

2435.jpg

http://jprifles.com/cart_pix/ph/2435.jpg

Edited by toothandnail

That jpoint is pretty cool. I really love my EOtech on my Vepr12. I can not imagine being without that reticle at this point. Also love the EOtech big window. Perfect IMO.

That tooth and nail video is really really cool. Super clean run and fun to watch.

To the OP I would NOT recommend the trs 25, or a sightmark, etc... Don't waste your time and money. The trs is not nearly bright enough, and has terrible battery life. The sightmark is just not cut out for this line of work. Cheaper micro red dots may also be a gamble. Some are tough, some aren't.

I have heard a lot of talk about that holosun. Interested how that one will do.

Really you could do just fine with a vortex strikefire until you get something fairly legit.

In my opinion I need a circle type reticle, because a lot of time you are dealing with bright glare, or shooting at Orange targets with a red dot. Mentally it just gives you such a great reference point. Also a 1 moa dot with a ring around it is perfect for precise slug shots.

My do-all zero is 15 yards dead on with slugs. Puts me 2" high at 25yds, 5 inches high at 50yds, and about 2" low with my shot shell groups. So out to 25 yards everything stays in a nice 4 inch group, which corresponds fairly well with the 65 moa ring in my optic.

Hope that helps!

Edited by VforVandetta

This holosun looks pretty good, and its a better price than the normal holosun 503 circle-dot from most places.

http://www.primaryarms.com/hs503g-acss/p/hs503g-acss/

Not sure about the chevron or the value of the BDC on a shotgun. Either way, I gotta get mags first. As soon as the steel mags come back in stock and T&N, I'm going to grab two 10's and an 18.

I think you guys may have sold me on the circle dot.

thanks

This holosun looks pretty good, and its a better price than the normal holosun 503 circle-dot from most places.

http://www.primaryarms.com/hs503g-acss/p/hs503g-acss/

Not sure about the chevron or the value of the BDC on a shotgun. Either way, I gotta get mags first. As soon as the steel mags come back in stock and T&N, I'm going to grab two 10's and an 18.

I think you guys may have sold me on the circle dot.

thanks

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Holosun-Red-Dot-Dual-Reticle-Solar-Sight-Flip-Caps-w-QR-Mount-Paralow-HS515C-/272230951381?nav=SEARCH

Just got one of these. Great price compared to other places.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use an EOtech, but have since switched to the JPoint Circle Dot, similar reticle to the EOtech but way smaller.

https://www.jprifles.com/cart_pix/ph/4141.jpg4141.jpg

65 MOA circle 1 MOA dot, fast on target (if it's in the circle it's down) small dot for slug shots.

How much smaller? I thought the Eotec was also a 65 moa circle. Or were you referring to the actual size of the sight? (Nice talking to you the other day Matt)

Edited by mpeltier

I vote the larger single dot as well as most of the others above.

I think mine is 7 moa.

Ive won a few titles with it and agree you want/need very fast pickup. I also used it to win a 200 yard slug stage.

Regarding the JPoint--what's everyone's experience on durability and longevity? Is/are shotguns harder on these MRDS than slide mounted on a pistol? considering going to a Vepr12 and mounting it in place of the rear sight (which sounds like the best place on those shotguns).

• 1 year later...

I have one of the first Firebird shotguns, and originally put a Fastfire2 on it.

I would re-check zero, every time, after having the gun apart for cleaning, and ALWAYS had to re-zero it.

Because the Fastfire2 didn't have adjustable intensity, it was AWY too bright, when I was shooting a stage at dark.

Then, it lost windage adjustments, so I sent it back to Burris, and they replaced it, but, instead of the Fastfire, I either put on a C-More railway, or an OKO that I had around (I"d actually have to dig out the gun, because my memory also sucks).

Every time I check zero, it's off, and my groups, with slugs suck. Everybody else that I talk to, even with almost stock MKA1919s claim thier guns to be accurate with slugs.

I know of other guys that have had issues with dot sights failing, and am thinking of mounting a Leupold rifle scope, at least for a while, to see if my dot sights are changing zero, or, if the barrel is moving, in relation to the upper receiver.

On 7/6/2016 at 12:58 PM, toothandnail said:

I used to use an EOtech, but have since switched to the JPoint Circle Dot, similar reticle to the EOtech but way smaller.

https://www.jprifles.com/cart_pix/ph/4141.jpg4141.jpg

65 MOA circle 1 MOA dot, fast on target (if it's in the circle it's down) small dot for slug shots.

My biggest problem with these is the auto-brightness. I'd you are firing from under a cover or inside a building with the target outside in bright sunlight (think Blue Ridge or Pro-Am) the reticle with be barely visible if visible at all. I absolutely despise the Eotechs. If someone (Vortex, Leupold, Aimpoint, etc.) would come out with a MRDS with 40-60moa circle, a 1-2moa center dot and manual brightness, I would be all over it.