Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Ammo/bullet Do The 'better' Shooters Use?

dadman

I run a 52 gr. Sierra at 3140 fps Benchmark powder for close in work

and

69 gr. Sierra with Varget powder for windy days or heavy activators

All my rifle bullets are moly'd.

DPMS 1-9 twist 20" barrel / long gas system

C Ya

Bruce

for y'all that switch bullet weights for the longer stuff, do you change your scope settings when you do? my zero with 55's @200 get's me about 2" low with 69's at the same distance. at 300, it really gets wierd. 55's will be about 6 1/2-7" low, while the 69's are close to 13 1/2" low. would seem to me that if you zero wih the lighter stuff, you better change your scope setting for the heavier bullets that you need to reach out for (300-400).

have i been around fluids too long? :o

I'm definately not a big dog but....... I shoot the some cheap commecially reloaded 55grn stuff. It was good enough for 14th at last years 3 Gun Nationals and 13th at the SMM3-gun this year. I didn't have any problems with the long range steel (I had issues on some of the close stuff). If I the crosshairs were on the target when I pressed the trigger I got the hit.

I understand the wind bucking ability of heavier bullets but I'm a simple guy and didn't want to deal with different zero's.

24.5 grs of 2460AA and a 69SMK will go 2900 fps out of most 20" barrels. This might be my new "iron sight" load, but I will stick with 55s when using optics because it is so easy to pick where you will hit on a target out to 400, and off set for wind is a snap! KURTM

24.5 grs of 2460AA and a 69SMK will go 2900 fps out of most 20" barrels. This might be my new "iron sight" load.

Welcome aboard! Maybe I'll do a couple of weakhand shotgun loads to celebrate! :D

HA, I lied just to see what Kelly Neil would say!!! I WON'T be using 69gr SMKs......Nozler is just as good and cheaper :D Besides I hear they are giving matches away if you shoot Iron, but only if you use HEAVY bullets. Kelly remember to hurt your fingers somehow when you try weakhand loading, Texas is just a couple of weeks away. :lol: KURTM

I have always 55gr Federal American Eagle for .223 at close and far targets as well. They do hit light at far steel and it has given RO's problems calling hits I will admit. My fault not theirs. I never have really messed with heavier bullets since I know where the 55's hit at distance. I am in the process of experimenting with heavier bullet loads. JP says the Black Hills 69 gr ammo is great and I tend to think he is right.

Guy Hawkins

• 2 weeks later...

Guy, try out the 75's Hornandys and 77 Sierras from Black Hills. Both are awesome loads and you KNOW you hit the steel! I will be shooting 55's and 75's at the MGM Ironman this year. It looks like the 75's are approximately .75" high at 100 vs. the 55's so dual data in the Atrag should take care of any issues at distance. Was surprised how close they were.

Good luck and hope to see you on the range again sometime.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the advice. I am shootinhg a 1 in 9 twist barrel and I hope they will work in it, but I will try those as well! Thank you.

Guy Hawkins